P500 How to remove the swaybar

J

JTW

As many of us have debated on whether to remove the swaybar or not and how difficult it is.. I thought a little how to would be handy.

Tools needed..
Ratchet
Short extension
14mm socket
12 mm socket
Jack or some means of lifting the rear end to remove a wheel.

First step.. Set parking break and chock front tire.. Jack up the rear end and pull the rear right wheel using a 14mm socket and ratchet with extension or tire iron.

Second step.. Locate the sway bar (funky bent rod just in front of the rear end) and notice the ball joint pivots are only held by one 12mm nut on the bottom side of the linkage. Remove these nuts from each lower side of the ball joint on each side of the sway bar using your ratchet and 12mm socket or wrench. Pull the threaded end out of the sway bar.

Third step.. (If you choose to remove the sway bar completely.. I would suggest it) Locate the two U shaped pivot points where the swaybar attaches to the frame. There are two 12mm bolts on each pivot.. Use your ratchet and socket with your extension for these. Once removed.. simply manipulate the sway bar out of the machine. This takes some rotating and moving but is why we removed the rear wheel.

Lastly, zip tie the remaining ball joints to the A-arms as shown. (these can be permanently removed if you so choose.. but you will need to insert an Allen wrench into the bolt to keep it from spinning.) Remount the wheel and tighten.. You're now ready to ride with far superior articulation and comfort!

IMG 0559 IMG 0554 IMG 0555 IMG 0556 IMG 0557 IMG 0563 IMG 0565 IMG 0566

H

Heloron

Mar 5, 2017
Oroville, California
Ownership

1. 500
As many of us have debated on whether to remove the swaybar or not and how difficult it is.. I thought a little how to would be handy.

Tools needed..
Ratchet
Short extension
14mm socket
12 mm socket
Jack or some means of lifting the rear end to remove a wheel.

First step.. Set parking break and chock front tire.. Jack up the rear end and pull the rear right wheel using a 14mm socket and ratchet with extension or tire iron.

Second step.. Locate the sway bar (funky bent rod just in front of the rear end) and notice the ball joint pivots are only held by one 12mm nut on the bottom side of the linkage. Remove these nuts from each lower side of the ball joint on each side of the sway bar using your ratchet and 12mm socket or wrench. Pull the threaded end out of the sway bar.

Third step.. (If you choose to remove the sway bar completely.. I would suggest it) Locate the two U shaped pivot points where the swaybar attaches to the frame. There are two 12mm bolts on each pivot.. Use your ratchet and socket with your extension for these. Once removed.. simply manipulate the sway bar out of the machine. This takes some rotating and moving but is why we removed the rear wheel.

Lastly, zip tie the remaining ball joints to the A-arms as shown. (these can be permanently removed if you so choose.. but you will need to insert an Allen wrench into the bolt to keep it from spinning.) Remount the wheel and tighten.. You're now ready to ride with far superior articulation and comfort!

View attachment 24059 View attachment 24060 View attachment 24061 View attachment 24062 View attachment 24063 View attachment 24064 View attachment 24065 View attachment 24066
Thanks

Reactions: JTW
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Take Saw/Saw....reach in
cut 1/4" round bar...that attached
...to the 4 purple dots...done walla
took 33.6 secs...
including...plugging in...
No removal of tire....nuts...bolts
All parts stay on...no dis- assemble

B

Byrdman

May 21, 2017
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I took mine off and I agree, it made a huge difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

bucky

Jun 6, 2017
pa
Ownership

1. 500
After removing it did you ride on any off camber situations that could case a roll over? or any steep side hills that could cause the same? If so does removing this make it more or less stable?

J

JTW

After removing it did you ride on any off camber situations that could case a roll over? or any steep side hills that could cause the same? If so does removing this make it more or less stable?
Yes

Reactions: Eltobgi
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

Just disconnect it and you'll be glad you did.

Reactions: JTW
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
If disconnected. ..stay off..off camber
terrain...I left mine connected
..till I went wide...58".. I still stick
to my...word.
witnessed it 1st hand..
I ride..almost everyday...
everybody got there own deal

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Disconnected and left in place, no problems yet. Seems smoother on rocks.

Reactions: RumpRocket
SXSHP500CO

SXSHP500CO

Pounding - Beaver
Lifetime Member
Dec 2, 2017
Northglenn Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
Take Saw/Saw....reach in
cut 1/4" round bar...that attached
...to the 4 purple dots...done walla
took 33.6 secs...
including...plugging in...
No removal of tire....nuts...bolts
All parts stay on...no dis- assemble

I know the conversation is older but what's the point of taking off the sway bar? Thanks

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I know the conversation is older but what's the point of taking off the sway bar? Thanks
Makes the ride loose...
sway bar ....ties rear wheels
....together..removal allows
rear wheels to articulate separate
I say..if your riding 2nd...3rd gear
alot...you should like it...
if your riding fast....maybe not
....I took mine off...after I went
wider....

Reactions: mrjeff42
SXSHP500CO

SXSHP500CO

Pounding - Beaver
Lifetime Member
Dec 2, 2017
Northglenn Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
If you go fast it will be unstable? It doesn't seem to be hard to undo correct? I have 2" spacers and 28" tiers and rock climb most of the time I don't run it on the straight away to often.

Thanks

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
If you go fast it will be unstable? It doesn't seem to be hard to undo correct? I have 2" spacers and 28" tiers and rock climb most of the time I don't run it on the straight away to often.

Thanks

Don't have to take it off, just disconnect it and tie up with zip ties. Easy to do and you'll wish you had done it sooner. ;)

865Pioneer500

865Pioneer500

Jul 5, 2018
Corryton, TN
Ownership

1. 500
I took mine off today. Lots less tossing from side to side and the tires stay planted much better in situations where it would lift one before. I drive at a slow to medium pace and don't haul much, so I don't feel that any safety is compromised. Definitely one of the best mods yet!

SXSHP500CO

SXSHP500CO

Pounding - Beaver
Lifetime Member
Dec 2, 2017
Northglenn Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
I took mine off today. Lots less tossing from side to side and the tires stay planted much better in situations where it would lift one before. I drive at a slow to medium pace and don't haul much, so I don't feel that any safety is compromised. Definitely one of the best mods yet!
Like how it handles now, much better as you've said

Enjoy!

M

Michele

Jan 21, 2017
Starksboro
Ownership

1. 500
Don't have to take it off, just disconnect it and tie up with zip ties. Easy to do and you'll wish you had done it sooner. ;)

You know of any videos showing this step of disconnecting sway bar?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!