P500 I hacked my electric box...

bigbore

bigbore

Jan 5, 2016
Man, "hack" is some clickbait ain't it.:D

I want to set the record for the longest time taken to install a winch. I was sneaking up on it a little more today.

I cut off the portion of the battery box cover that captures the negative main and other wiring on the right side of the box in the vertical compartment. Removing it took a lot of stress off the negative terminal main and will also allow for another large wire to easily fit in there.

I Dremeled the negative terminal connector a little on the lower left corner also. Now I can tilt the terminal and wire up a little and it fits very comfortably in the vertical portion of the battery box with the rest of the wiring. The lid goes on very easily now compared to how it was OEM.

After much thought, I came to the conclusion that there is no good reason to strain the wiring like it was and I'll be able to run the negative lead to the winch very neatly now. If I ever regret the hack, I can buy another cover and its "whole" again.

I drilled a ~.4 hole in the bottom left front corner of the battery box for the Positive lead just like in the the sticky post. The box is prepped, now to solder and run the wiring.

EBmod zpswx89fuan

Last edited:
O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
That's pretty much how I solved the problem too :cool:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!