DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I know we have a few linemen here...but I have an odd question.
While riding Friday, I got a hot/burning plastic/vinyl smell very briefly. I stopped and checked the machine out, but found nothing amiss, and no obvious source.
Then...later, i get it again, several miles away. Again, nothing on the machine is amiss. Nothing on the exhaust. No hot wiring that I could feel.

People will burn plastic out here in the fire pit...but this was midday, and the odds of 2 people doing it with some distance apart seems low, and the distance was far enough that I doubt it could have been from the same fire.

The one other common denominator to both times? I was under some of those big ass high voltage power lines. But...I don't remember ever smelling this near them before. It was a fairly cool day by az standards...probably the 50's.

Yesterday I went again and got nothing all day long.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I know we have a few linemen here...but I have an odd question.
While riding Friday, I got a hot/burning plastic/vinyl smell very briefly. I stopped and checked the machine out, but found nothing amiss, and no obvious source.
Then...later, i get it again, several miles away. Again, nothing on the machine is amiss. Nothing on the exhaust. No hot wiring that I could feel.

People will burn plastic out here in the fire pit...but this was midday, and the odds of 2 people doing it with some distance apart seems low, and the distance was far enough that I doubt it could have been from the same fire.

The one other common denominator to both times? I was under some of those big ass high voltage power lines. But...I don't remember ever smelling this near them before. It was a fairly cool day by az standards...probably the 50's.

Yesterday I went again and got nothing all day long.
??????????

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
I make my living working on transmission lines they won't have a burning plastic smell . I would think it came from your ride since it is new I would just wait and see if it happens again. I know you are a mechanic and would have found something obvious. Who knows it could have been something else.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I make my living working on transmission lines they won't have a burning plastic smell . I would think it came from your ride since it is new I would just wait and see if it happens again. I know you are a mechanic and would have found something obvious. Who knows it could have been something else.
It's got 890 miles on it😁.

I looked it over again today and can't find any signs of hot wiring. And like I said, nothing yesterday. Don't know...maybe it was just something blowing across the desert...or a piece of bag blew into the exhaust.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!