P1000 i have a quailty question

J

JOHNDEEREMAN

May 7, 2016
NEVADA
when is the sxs market going to start putting quaulity in their machines i ride with alot of
retired people riding a mix of machines most are not abusive here a list of stuff i see
go wrong with less than 5000 miles=tie rods wheel bearings rear end exploding rings pumping
oil fuel pumps running hot spark plug wires bad injectors bad some of the reasons i decided
to go with honda this time i hope they got it right dont like walking back are being towed spent
alot money trying to find that sxs

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Well to be honest with you because they don't need to. The market leader is that way because they were the first with auto. Everyone loved it because anyone could get in and "know what there doing " the more they sold the more people thought that was the machine to have and it started selling itself. If companies make them to indestructible they won't sell parts or another machine and accessories down the road. People became ok with a machine only lasting 2500-3000 miles. These companies make a way higher profit margin off accessories and parts. Then Yamaha came in with more dependability but the rig "just wasn't as bad ass as the joneses" and even though they sold they just did not with the same numbers. Others came in with the same philosophy as the current market leader (maybe a little better) and they sold as well. Build it pretty with lots of power it'll sell. It's the standard. Cars and trucks are the same way prettier is better I need to keep up with the Joneses however a car or truck wouldn't last all that long doing what a sxs does. Yamaha is giving it hell but now that Honda is back in the running maybe that will help change people's thinking. I think it's a big deal for all the manufacturers. At some point the others will have "Follow The Leader...He's On A Honda"

Last edited:
J

JOHNDEEREMAN

May 7, 2016
NEVADA
i agree with all you said i keep telling dealors some of us are looking for some good enginering along with looks and speed so we can go for a ride without being dusted cooked are walking back i mite be dreaming but always looking some day before i am to old to ride even the worst machine is better than laying on couch watching the news on the tube

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I absolutely agree with that. I think the only problem Honda has right now is they have to keep some things back because the price of that transmission far exceeds a belt and since they're "new" they have to keep price below. Hold on it'll change. I have full faith in Honda.

Reactions: Stauvo and sharp
hondarock

hondarock

Jun 19, 2015
All sxs's have automatics except for the YXZ. Always have . Can't blame it on that.

Performance sells. That is why Polaris and Can Am sell so well and why Honda and Yamaha don't. Kawasaki is making a come back with the most reliable sxs's out there and good performance. The P1000 will do okay once they convince the public that the transmission is going to hold up.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Polaris got their start with snowmobiles and the quads then onto auto quads then moved to sxs. Yes. They were the first with a performance utv other the the odyssey and pilot(kinda) and even if the transmission does have a problem in mine I'd rather replace clutches once then the belt 5-6 times. With the mileage I have on the Pioneer now I'd have already replaced one belt. We'll see. Honda does understand DCT at least Honda thought out of the box a bit but I guess if you've never built a snowmobile your head isn't clouded with rubber bands. Like I've said multiple times I'd never buy a Polaris car dirtbike generator lawnmower....why a sxs when there's a Honda floating around. We got rid of the rzr for a commander and that for a 700-4. In a lot of eyes that's dropping down each time however it was me looking for dependability. There's other smart people to that hate dropping their rig off at the dealership after a ride as well.

Last edited:
hondarock

hondarock

Jun 19, 2015
My thinking out of the box is this.

Fixing that Honda transmission is no big deal.......... as long as Honda is picking up the tab. If I bought one of those I would probably have to shell out more money for the extended warranty. I have never bought an extended warranty for a Polaris and I have never needed one yet.

I also have never had to replace a belt in 20 years of rubber bands. I have had them out to inspect them before. No big deal, only takes a few minutes and only costs $88 shipped to me if I need to replace one. I like rubber bands. So do lots of other people. They are definitely not perfect but they are pretty simple and easy to repair.

But if Honda ever builds a simple reliable rig that can compete directly with the big 2 then I will definitely be interested like I was initially with the 1000. I read about Honda atv's with complicated transmission problems that cost more to fix than the rig is worth and then these clutch problems with the 1000. I don't need any of that.

None of the new ones of any brand are reliable enough or have enough of a gain overall for me to make trading my present rigs worth it. But I keep looking.

Reactions: Null
M

MackyD

Apr 3, 2016
S.W Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Finding a 100% quality machine these days would be impossible unless some manufacture started building a machine by hand, then the cost would be too high for anyone to afford. The best quality built machines that Honda Powersports ever produced would be the Honda TRX300 and the TRX250R. You will still see both machines out there today. I still own a 95 TRX 300 and up to this last month, the only money I have ever put into it was oil/filter, air filter, tires. I just recently changed the left upper ball joint and the steering stem bushing. There are still TRX250R's on the tracks either complete or the frame with a 450R motor stuffed in it. Those days are long gone. I have had one problem with my P1000 and it was a stripped ground stud on the motor, no big deal. As long as I use the transmission as it is intended on, I see no problems with it at all. I recently sold my 05 Rincon 650 (which was a mistake to sell it). I enjoyed 10 years of trouble free service out of it. My friends envied me because I never had to stop and shift into low range every time we had to climb a hill. The ride was ultra smooth, it was easy to handle and ergonomics of the machine made it to where you could ride all day without fatigue. Yes the Rinny did lack low end grunt but it was never designed to be a mule anyway. It was labeled a sport/utility and it lived up to that label very well. Only time will tell when they discontinue that line due to the Rubicon with IRS on the market. I know a lot of people that live near me go with other brands of machines is because there is a dealer within 30 miles of here. The closest Honda dealers to me is 50 miles and neither of them have a large selection of ATV's/UTV's. I drove around 300 miles round trip just to get my Pioneer. The dealers near me either didn't have the exact machine I wanted or they would not come off of price if they did have the exact machine I wanted. I could have probably gotten another brand of machine (I honestly looked before I got mine) but it was either get a machine that sit 5 people, not have a bed that was usable or get one that was long as a limo and would be hard to get around in the woods. Each person has different taste, I prefer Honda just because of the long relationship that I have had with them. I will say this, I am probably the first person in my area to own a P1000-5 and it is really turning heads.

Reactions: Stauvo
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
My thinking out of the box is this.

Fixing that Honda transmission is no big deal.......... as long as Honda is picking up the tab. If I bought one of those I would probably have to shell out more money for the extended warranty. I have never bought an extended warranty for a Polaris and I have never needed one yet.

I also have never had to replace a belt in 20 years of rubber bands. I have had them out to inspect them before. No big deal, only takes a few minutes and only costs $88 shipped to me if I need to replace one. I like rubber bands. So do lots of other people. They are definitely not perfect but they are pretty simple and easy to repair.
But if Honda ever builds a simple reliable rig that can compete directly with the big 2 then I will definitely be interested like I was initially with the 1000. I read about Honda atv's with complicated transmission problems that cost more to fix than the rig is worth and then these clutch problems with the 1000. I don't need any of that.

None of the new ones of any brand are reliable enough or have enough of a gain overall for me to make trading my present rigs worth it. But I keep looking.
Well Polarisbob I've had multiple machines and been around a ton of people that have as well towed my fair share of non Hondas back to camp. Maybe others ride harder idk. My Polaris 750 is one its 5th belt wheel bearings replaced multiple times suspension all gone through throttle overheating valves twice(last time for those without motor gone through totally) folder seat replaced twice. It had most of those problems before it wore through a set of tires. It's got 3000 miles on it now about the same as my 700--4 did with 3 oil changes. Both my other Canadian and Mexican rigs were the same way. Maybe owning up to 10 vehicles at once I don't have a ton of time to work or maintain them. I have more then a rig for me I but multiple extras for friends and family and keep my own family up in one and been like that for 13 years. Honda is the only way to go. its funny because the cost of the extended warranty for Polaris is almost triple of that of the Honda why would that be???? I would have bought insurance for Polaris or Can-am in the past had the insuring company not known it was a piece of crap and charged more. We probably ride a lot more. Lots of people don't have problems but if it's parked in the garage how can it. 30 weekends up camping a year gives you pretty good idea on good stuff or crap. My current Polaris you sure as heck couldn't change the belt as easily as you say. Book shows as much time as clutches in the Honda. A lot of these you need to get aftermarket cover just to try to keep the water off the belt so it doesn't strand you. You must not have driven a 1000 yet otherwise you might be talking a little different (I actually own one) and I love how the transmission is. Is very positive under foot so much less sloppy then belt. But you're probably right about being easier to fix as there are so many aftermarket parts and fixes and write ups on you tube for them. Hell go pull apart your dryer for the belt it may fit if not just go to the dealer in sure they will have plenty of parts on hand. I hope you continue having luck with "the big two" I'll stick to my American Honda.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stauvo and sharp
advertisement
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
All sxs's have automatics except for the YXZ. Always have . Can't blame it on that.

Performance sells. That is why Polaris and Can Am sell so well and why Honda and Yamaha don't. Kawasaki is making a come back with the most reliable sxs's out there and good performance. The P1000 will do okay once they convince the public that the transmission is going to hold up.
The polaris and can am became popular at first because they saw the wave of people buying sxs's for recreation use. Remember the big red and mule were the first sxs out there. This time honda waited for the hype to die down then came out with the p1k. Polaris and can am were riding high because honda knew they would play out. If you want a polaris or other sxs there are plenty of trade ins out there because people are trading in for the more reliable Honda I did!

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yep! You gotta drive a P-1000 to know. I just can't believe how this thing rides and shifts. I had a 86' ATC-250R and a 89' TRX-250R. Those were the days man.:)

Reactions: CumminsPusher
sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
when is the sxs market going to start putting quaulity in their machines i ride with alot of
retired people riding a mix of machines most are not abusive here a list of stuff i see
go wrong with less than 5000 miles=tie rods wheel bearings rear end exploding rings pumping
oil fuel pumps running hot spark plug wires bad injectors bad some of the reasons i decided
to go with honda this time i hope they got it right dont like walking back are being towed spent
alot money trying to find that sxs
Did you answer your question?

MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
when is the sxs market going to start putting quaulity in their machines
There are many quality machines already available, but realistically (overall, at least) you have to choose between quality and high performance. Heavy duty/"quality" simply weighs more and weight diminishes power and agility. No matter how fast a machine is at 1,500#, its must faster at 1,100# but when you start shaving material to decrease weight you more often than not sacrifice durability. There are lightweight materials that offer comparable strength but then you run your costs significantly higher often beyond what the market will bear.

The tried and trusted Yamaha Rhino is a great example of a machine that is certainly "quality". Since 2003 I've logged tens of thousands of miles on Rhinos and I have never once broken down. In fact, other than routine maintenance and upgrades, I've never once had to turn a wrench on a Rhino in over thirteen years of aggressive riding.
...but I'm not going to win any races on my Rhino. Most of my friends ride RZRs and they tease me about having to spend all day waiting for me to catch up. They say that my Rhino is so slow that they can break down, go to the dealership for repairs, return and still beat me back to the trucks. Over the years though I've towed each and every one of them (several more than once!) 50+ miles back to the trucks with my slow little Rhino after they broke down.
The Kawasaki Teryx is another great example of a quality machine. The Teryx is built for Doomsday (which is a good thing because servicing a Teryx is a major PITA), but it's not going to win any races unless it's racing a Rhino.
The John Deere RSX 850i is a quality machine.
The Yamaha Viking is certainly a quality machine. The Yamaha Wolverine is a quality machine. The Kawasaki Mule is a quality machine. None of these can race with the RZRs but will still be there to pull the RZRs back to the truck after they break down.

There are different OEM objectives and different methods of bringing their products to market. A few examples of this:

Yamaha spends years of R&D before bringing a product to market and they do an excellent job of keeping their projects secret. The objective of Yamaha is to offer an ultimate "sum of all parts" machine. They don't try to be the best at anything, but they want to be very good at everything and I think they do a great job of this.
All this could change with the new YXZ; I've no personal experience with it yet but have heard only good things. Based on what I know of Yamaha, they may have found a dominating compromise of power and quality. I'll withhold speaking further on this one since I don't have first hand experience with it.

John Deere spends years of R&D before releasing a product onto the market. You would think that John Deere sits back and relies on their good name to sell machines (like Honda used to do...just look at the original Big Red!) instead of innovating and testing but this couldn't be more wrong. I was personally involved in the development of the RSX for at least three years. They flew us in from all over the country and we spent three days trying to break their prototypes. For three days we would drive their machines like we stole them and then we would sit around for another day discussing what we thought of the machine and how they could improve it. Often they would go back to the drawing board and start things all over again from scratch to eliminate weaknesses of the design and then in a few months they would fly us back out to start the whole thing over again. This went on and on and on (and I loved every minute of it!) as they were trying to offer the very best machine that they could. I have absolute respect for John Deere and their dedication to bringing quality to the market.

Kawasaki does years of R&D in their designs for the same reasons. My only beef with Kawasaki is that its so dang hard to service the Teryx.

Can Am builds a good machine overall but I've had to tow a couple back over the years.

Arctic Cat does decent R&D but then they dump their products onto the market for the consumer to test. Their older designs were pretty solid (I've got a 2000 Arctic Cat 500 ATV that's been close to 100% reliable with the Suzuki engine) but in trying to keep up with Polaris speed they have certainly sacrificed quality.

Polaris has one objective and that is to be the fastest machine available because speed sells. Polaris makes as much power as they can and then they squeeze all that power into as light of a drive train and chassis as possible and then they also dump it on the consumer to do most of their field testing. For real speed junkies it doesn't matter that they spend so much time in the shop. When I could keep it out of the shop, my RZR was an absolute blast to ride. It seemed to be a favorite for the kids because it was so fast but I got tired of it spending more time in the shop for warranty repair work than on the trails riding. My youngest son wants to be a diesel mechanic. I told him that to ensure financial prosperity that he should be a Polaris mechanic instead. ;)

With everything available today, I wish some of these prototypes had made final production. R&D first builds the machine, but then lawyers and bean-counters come in and neuter them. Everything we see today has been rather gutted by lawyers and bean-counters.

here a list of stuff i see go wrong with less than 5000 miles=tie rods wheel bearings rear end exploding rings pumping oil fuel pumps running hot spark plug wires bad
Flashbacks...it's almost like you know the guy who bought my RZR! ;)

some of the reasons i decided to go with honda this time i hope they got it right dont like walking back are being towed
I can relate completely! When I ride in the Pryor Mountain Wild Horse Range I ride out about 45 miles away from my truck. When I ride up near the Black Feet Reservation I've been as far as around 85 miles away from my truck and with all the grizzly bear up there, walking back is never a good option. There is no mobile phone service or any other means to communicate for that matter so we always ride in pairs and still bring emergency gear. I've only recently purchased my Pioneer and it's still too cold to ride it so I don't yet know what to expect but I'm optimistic. For the longest time Honda lacked real innovation (swing arms, drum brakes, no front locker, etc.) but one thing for certain is that Honda has always built a quality, reliable machine and I don't expect this will be any different. I like to think that the reason it took them so long to bring innovation to their designs was because they spent so many years testing it before bringing it to market but I can only guess as I've never worked directly with Honda.

Last edited:
J

JOHNDEEREMAN

May 7, 2016
NEVADA
I WOULD LIKE TO THANK ALL THE RESPONSES ON THIS SITE MOST ARE GOOD THE GUY TALKING ABOUT POLARIS NEVER BRAKING DOWN NEEDS TO GET IT OUT AND RIDE IT SOME OF US BEEN AROUND TO LONG TO GO WITH THAT---MY ONLY DEAL IS YOU PAY 20000 FOR A CAR
WHICH HAS ALOT MORE ENGINEERING GOING INTO IT THEN A SXS LASTING 200000 MILES YES THEY DONT GO IN THE DIRT BUT YOU THING
THEY COULD COME UP WITH QUAITY LINE OF 15000 BEFORE US OLD TIMERS HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT WALKING HOME I THINKING HONDA JUST MET HAVE IT 3700 MILES AND RUNNING GREAT RIDE LOVE THE RIDE AND TRANY LOVE HOW YOU CAN PICK A GEAR ON LONG DOWN HILL TO
HOW MUCH HOLD BACK YOU WANT

hondarock

hondarock

Jun 19, 2015
2013 sportsman 750x2

I always did doubt your credibility. Now I know, since you said you owned one.

Polaris never put a 750 in a Sportsman, ever.

Reactions: Null
MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
Seems like they are trying to just crank out the Pioneers as fast as they can, and letting the dealer worry about catching stuff they overlook ( i.e. loose or missing bolts/nuts, loose grounds or battery cables, steering wheels off center, etc. , etc.).
My steering wheel was 90 degrees off. I returned it to the dealership to clock it. So far this is the only flaw I've noted.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!