Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I always did doubt your credibility. Now I know, since you said you owned one.

Polaris never put a 750 in a Sportsman, ever.
Sorry 850. Not sure why I call it 750 all the time. Had so many vehicles I guess. Doubt my credibility all you want but here is a pic of the pos being pulled back to camp by the vehicle you say is a pos.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stauvo and joeymt33
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Reliability is definitely #1, I agree. I'm just kind of anal about details, so that stuff jumps out at me when I'm putting a nice shiny new machine together. Seems like they are trying to just crank out the Pioneers as fast as they can, and letting the dealer worry about catching stuff they overlook ( i.e. loose or missing bolts/nuts, loose grounds or battery cables, steering wheels off center, etc. , etc.).
So far my only real complaint is the over tightening of everything. Damn! Even the side panels were forced on with a 1/2 impact gun. I have noticed the slag and I agree that sucks but I look at it as utility so not bothering me a whole lot. I haven't noticed anything loose or missing. The bolts sent for the full doors were rusty when I pulled them off so obviously the finish on those weren't up to par. But as every Honda I've ever had its been great. We bought our within test drive it was paid for before it came in, there weren't many reviews out then. Lived up to all hopes I've had.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stauvo and sharp
S

slowandeasy

Jun 29, 2015
Palm Bay, FL
how can anyone expect over 5000 miles without failure when these are offroad machines that typically get rode hard. even if you baby your bike, it still has a much harder life than a car.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
hondarock

hondarock

Jun 19, 2015
Good grief hondarock I hope you were just kidding. :) We need not lose credibility over a simple verbal/textual slip.

With as many parts as he had to buy I just don't see him not knowing what model it was. How many times did the parts guy have to tell him there was no Sportsman 750.

Also, if he replaced so many belts why would he need to look in a book to see how long it takes? I had a Sportsman 850 Touring model which is the same frame and that belt is easy to get to and doesn't take long to replace. I never replaced mine but I did have it off a couple of times changing clutch springs. It even comes with a tool to open up the secondary so you can just lift it out once you get the cover off.

Whatever, it doesn't matter.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
With as many parts as he had to buy I just don't see him not knowing what model it was. How many times did the parts guy have to tell him there was no Sportsman 750.

Also, if he replaced so many belts why would he need to look in a book to see how long it takes? I had a Sportsman 850 Touring model which is the same frame and that belt is easy to get to and doesn't take long to replace. I never replaced mine but I did have it off a couple of times changing clutch springs. It even comes with a tool to open up the secondary so you can just lift it out once you get the cover off.

Whatever, it doesn't matter.
I usually buy Parts online. Should have just bought parts multiple at a time for that vehicle and others I've had like it. I do own it so I can say what I've done to it because not only do I have the experience to say so but also the credibility of ownership. I know the difference between good rigs and not. Anyway there is a pick of the machine for you. I don't really brag up the Polaris nor do I ride it ever. I hate that rig so I guess I'm not just trying to keep it going till Honda makes a two up or we get a p500. It takes a bit to get to the belt you have to take the left framework out of the way which was probably similar to yours however mine has extra in that corner for the tilt box. And I checked with the dealer and he wanted 2.5 for the belt for the x2. Yes I checked because I hate doing it. Honda says only a few hours and that's about how much they wanted for the belt. I'm fairly solid have done a lot of this and a lot of that. We bring multiple rigs up every weekend in two vehicles I've totally built I do have some knowledge @hondabob my words are usually pretty damn accurate whether people like them or not I'm not figuring I lose much credibility very often. Even when wrong I'll apologize as seen here a couple of times. Take it or not I don't particularly care if you believe in me. I'm glad you have the 700 and that's a great machine we truly loved ous that was the first dependable sxs we have had or been around and would still happily own it had it not been for the 1000. We put 2700 on ours in about 8mths loved it. We now have the 1000 and it's already proving itself to us as a great vehicle as well. But as much as you knock on the 1000 when you don't have one or even been on one and how much you talk up the other brands maybe you're on the wrong site.

Last edited:
hondarock

hondarock

Jun 19, 2015
I also didn't say your Honda was a pos.

But like I said, no problem. I will just cull the bs and try to find the facts.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

Fair enough I will do the same. Let's put this to bed please.

Carleton

Carleton

Nov 28, 2014
Utah
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

I'll jump in here and say that I've always tried to be as non-biased as possible. Admittedly, I've always liked honda products because of their quality, but I've also had to grind my teeth lately at times because of their lack of innovation and competition with other brands at times. That said, I do own a Pioneer 500 and did not love it at first. After accepting what it was made for, putting larger tires with a little larger wheel offset, and removing the anti-sway bar, I've really grown to like it a lot. I admit some of the Pioneer 1000 clutch issues have made me question Honda's reliability a little bit.

My father just purchased a P1000 for a boys trip we had planned in Southern Utah. He brought it down and my brother purchased a Polaris Turbo 1000-4 seater that is pretty awesome and very very powerful. We did a mix of riding in the dunes and trail riding with just about every type of terrain. Here is my take after getting back from the weekend:

The pioneer 1000 definitely felt a lot more heavy and less sporty than my Pioneer 500. In some ways, it made me appreciate my Pioneer 500 now that I have done some modifications with tires and wheel offset. In other ways the P1000 is awesome because it fits 5 people and has a short wheelbase. The power is actually pretty good in the P1000. When we got into the sand dunes with very deep sand, my P500 really struggled, although it would still go about anywhere. The P1000 had great power and especially very good torque. My dad really enjoyed driving in automatic and shifting up or down before hills (while still in automatic). The transmission worked well.

My brother's Polaris turbo was awesome. TONS of power (would keep up with the racing quads) and great suspension and very sporty ride. We rode down there for 2 days and put on about 150 miles or so. As the P1000 broke in, it seemed to gain a bit more power and quiet down a bit. I really think with a wider offset wheel and stiffer front suspension it would handle more sporty.

Anyways, the 2nd day we went out for a ride and my brother was in his turbo and heard a bit of a pop in the front diff. We looked down there and it was leaking oil all over. It didn't make much more noise and still rode fine but was leaking oil all over. He wasn't even riding it hard or doing anything crazy as it was his first time out pretty much. It had 250 miles on it. He got on the rzr forum and there are so many that are leaking in the front diff right around 200 miles. All the seals and parts are on back order because there are so many with the issue. He is very frustrated because he got this TURBO after his rzr 1000-4 (2015) completely had a fall apart and they talked him into the turbo because it was supposedly built better and stronger. I can tell you I rode my P500 much harder than he rode down there. My father's P1000 was flawless and he got it to replace his Ranger XP 800 that was a bit of a turd (no problems at 1,200 miles). The xp 800 was always wound up and just felt like a pig to drive. Not responsive at all and way to soft on the suspension.

Anyways, I have to give Polaris credit for being very innovative and pushing the limits, but from an unbiased standpoint, they are just not built very well mechanically. They have come a long ways, but seem to be very sloppy in certain areas. My brother is so tired of having problems with both new units that I'm not sure he'll even keep it. My dad on the other hand loved how he could just lug the engine around at low RPM and had no belts to worry about. Now if there are clutch problems, that would be a pain in the neck, but I really doubt he will ever have that problem.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Well it's obvious where my heart lies. In no way will I change anytime soon as all that I've been around tends to show me time after time. I do appreciate "other" brands for what they have done to and with this sport. They have paved a way as well for companies like Honda that after the three-wheeler fiasco with lawsuits have been leary to get their feet wet again. The more competition there is the better they will all get. All of them! Any brand can be dependable for a 1000-1500 miles it's what happens after that especially at 2-3000 in my eyes. I do expect a rig to last and will usually sacrifice a few things to get there. I don't mind an occasional problem but I don't want to work as much as play. That being said this is a great time for us to be in the sport as there is now an explosion of vehicles offered and I can only see it going uphill. Companies I don't necessarily like will force others to do better as well. I am fairly confident they will all do better especially the poor quality ones and the "new" ones on the table.

Reactions: joeymt33
advertisement
Carleton

Carleton

Nov 28, 2014
Utah
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I'll jump in here and say that I've always tried to be as non-biased as possible. Admittedly, I've always liked honda products because of their quality, but I've also had to grind my teeth lately at times because of their lack of innovation and competition with other brands at times. That said, I do own a Pioneer 500 and did not love it at first. After accepting what it was made for, putting larger tires with a little larger wheel offset, and removing the anti-sway bar, I've really grown to like it a lot. I admit some of the Pioneer 1000 clutch issues have made me question Honda's reliability a little bit.

My father just purchased a P1000 for a boys trip we had planned in Southern Utah. He brought it down and my brother purchased a Polaris Turbo 1000-4 seater that is pretty awesome and very very powerful. We did a mix of riding in the dunes and trail riding with just about every type of terrain. Here is my take after getting back from the weekend:

The pioneer 1000 definitely felt a lot more heavy and less sporty than my Pioneer 500. In some ways, it made me appreciate my Pioneer 500 now that I have done some modifications with tires and wheel offset. In other ways the P1000 is awesome because it fits 5 people and has a short wheelbase. The power is actually pretty good in the P1000. When we got into the sand dunes with very deep sand, my P500 really struggled, although it would still go about anywhere. The P1000 had great power and especially very good torque. My dad really enjoyed driving in automatic and shifting up or down before hills (while still in automatic). The transmission worked well.

My brother's Polaris turbo was awesome. TONS of power (would keep up with the racing quads) and great suspension and very sporty ride. We rode down there for 2 days and put on about 150 miles or so. As the P1000 broke in, it seemed to gain a bit more power and quiet down a bit. I really think with a wider offset wheel and stiffer front suspension it would handle more sporty.

Anyways, the 2nd day we went out for a ride and my brother was in his turbo and heard a bit of a pop in the front diff. We looked down there and it was leaking oil all over. It didn't make much more noise and still rode fine but was leaking oil all over. He wasn't even riding it hard or doing anything crazy as it was his first time out pretty much. It had 250 miles on it. He got on the rzr forum and there are so many that are leaking in the front diff right around 200 miles. All the seals and parts are on back order because there are so many with the issue. He is very frustrated because he got this TURBO after his rzr 1000-4 (2015) completely had a fall apart and they talked him into the turbo because it was supposedly built better and stronger. I can tell you I rode my P500 much harder than he rode down there. My father's P1000 was flawless and he got it to replace his Ranger XP 800 that was a bit of a turd (no problems at 1,200 miles). The xp 800 was always wound up and just felt like a pig to drive. Not responsive at all and way to soft on the suspension.

Anyways, I have to give Polaris credit for being very innovative and pushing the limits, but from an unbiased standpoint, they are just not built very well mechanically. They have come a long ways, but seem to be very sloppy in certain areas. My brother is so tired of having problems with both new units that I'm not sure he'll even keep it. My dad on the other hand loved how he could just lug the engine around at low RPM and had no belts to worry about. Now if there are clutch problems, that would be a pain in the neck, but I really doubt he will ever have that problem.

IMG 1841 IMG 1833

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Can't deny that popo it's sexyness. Nice little 250 right there too

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
they are just not built very well mechanically.
Agreed. Polaris wants to be the fastest and they accomplish this by making solid power and then shoving all that power into as light of a drivetrain and chassis as possible. Polaris also wants to be first, and they accomplish this by dumping essentially untested products onto the market for the consumer to test.

My dad on the other hand loved how he could just lug the engine around at low RPM and had no belts to worry about.
I realize you were referencing a comparison with the Polaris so this isn't necessarily a direct response to you specifically. Because I see it mentioned often on this and other forums my response is a general one. The problems with lugging around at low RPM is not a CVT or belt issue; the problem is a Polaris specific issue that applies only to Polaris. Yamaha/Arctic Cat/Kawasaki/(and I'm pretty dang sure)Can Am don't suffer this issue because they maintain constant tension on the belt. The Polaris belt goes limp at idle which is also why you don't get engine braking with the Polaris without giving it throttle to keep the belt tight or use an override. I cannot imagine what perceived advantage there is to making the belt go limp at idle but this is something that Polaris (to my knowledge, anyway) has not changed and does not intend to change. Every time you start movement the belt gets snatched from a dead stop to match engine speed, and trying to lumber along slowly causes a continual snatch/release/snatch/release.

Amongst my family overall I'd say my RZR was their favorite because they're a bunch of adrenaline addicts but if you can't keep it out of the shop and on the trail, what's the point?

MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
how can anyone expect over 5000 miles without failure when these are offroad machines that typically get rode hard. even if you baby your bike, it still has a much harder life than a car.
I once drove over to Rapid City to buy a used Rhino that was advertised as having 2,500 miles. I took it for a test drive and was preparing to purchase the machine (it ran great!) when I noticed that it didn't have 2,500 miles on it; it had 25,000 miles. Since he couldn't tell the difference in 2,500 and 25,000 miles I don't know how much of his other statements I could believe, but he swore the engine had never been opened up. Most of that mileage was highway mileage (he drove it to work daily) but still, I was very impressed (just not enough to buy a machine with 25,000 miles on it). I think (assuming initial quality of the machine) much of it comes down to how well a machine is maintained. I change all fluids at the beginning of the riding season and again every couple hundred miles and I use full synthetics. My oldest Rhino is an '06 450 with around 4,000 miles and it runs like a champ and I've never done more than change fluids regularly. Every October I put all other ATVs/SxSs into storage until around May except for the 450. I keep it out of storage for the few times when I will need a SxS through the winter (hunting, plowing snow, rounding up stray livestock, etc.). I've started that machine down as low as -27F and after a minute or so of running on the choke it was ready to go to work. I took it in to the dealership for the recall (add 2" spacers, half doors and remove rear sway bar) and asked them to go through it while they had it to inspect for any issues. While I don't recall the exact numbers, they told me that the compression test was too close to distinguish it from a fresh rebuild yet I've never opened up the engine for anything more than valve adjustment at normal maintenance intervals and have never needed to adjust them even after 4,000 miles. Come to think of it, none of my 700s have ever required valve adjustment either. When you put reasonable power in front of a comparable drive train you can expect reasonable service when maintained properly. Putting massive power in front of as light of a drive train is possible to save weight and make the machine faster is a recipe for failure.

DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yep, 88 was the only all red one. The 86, 87 and 89 all had white plastic. 86/87 looked identical except for the color of decals. 88/89 looked the same except for the color of plastic/decals.

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yep, 88 was the only all red one. The 86, 87 and 89 all had white plastic. 86/87 looked identical except for the color of decals. 88/89 looked the same except for the color of plastic/decals.
Ya my buddy had the 86 with the handlebar mounted headlight and gold swingarm. I did not care for it like my 89. I sent the engine to Duncan Racing and had a PaulTurner mid range build done to it. Tried out a twist throttle and almost killed myself. Went back to thumb job. Only regret is I tried to paint the frame a Kawi Green but ended up dark green with wrong primer. Lol. Also hope Honda builds the 15 degree upward cant into the front A Arms of these Pioneers eventually. That is what set them apart in the quad wars.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
25k is a lot that's really cool! I wonder how much was actually done to it.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!