I need some ideas - Re: Quick release wheel chocks for trailer.

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
So I just bought a new aluminum frame/wood deck utility trailer whose main purpose will be hauling the p520 around. Secondary purpose will be general utility hauling (mulch, timber, lumber, broke down RZRs, etc).

I'd like to install a full set of these RhinoUSA E-track wheel chocks:

The problem I'm facing though is that I don't want them to be on their semi-permanantly. I want to be able to have a mostly clear deck for the occasional utility hauling but I don't want to crawl under the thing to unbolt them every time this scenario arises.

So I'm trying to come up with some sort of idea to make them relatively quick release while still having enough integrity to hold a 1,500lb SxS in place as they should.

Anything out there like this that you're aware of or do any of you have any novel ideas? Best I can come up with is some sort of threaded inserts in the wood that I could zip bolts in/out of quickly but I don't know what product that would be.

Open to suggestions here.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I just bought a new aluminum frame/wood deck utility trailer whose main purpose will be hauling the p520 around. Secondary purpose will be general utility hauling (mulch, timber, lumber, broke down RZRs, etc).

The problem I'm facing though is that I don't want them to be on their semi-permanantly. I want to be able to have a mostly clear deck for the occasional utility hauling but I don't want to crawl under the thing to unbolt them every time this scenario arises.

So I'm trying to come up with some sort of idea to make them relatively quick release while still having enough integrity to hold a 1,500lb SxS in place as they should.

Anything out there like this that you're aware of or do any of you have any novel ideas? Best I can come up with is some sort of threaded inserts in the wood that I could zip bolts in/out of quickly but I don't know what product that would be.

Post some pics of that trailer please. Will help us come up with something

Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Last edited:
The Green Goat

The Green Goat

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Post some pics of that trailer please. Will help us come up with something
I don't have any pictures of my trailer, but this is the exact same model. Decking is, I believe, 2x6 nominal:

Screenshot 20220328 084741
Screenshot 20220328 0848552

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
Reactions: The Green Goat
The Green Goat

The Green Goat

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
If you are going with E track, why not use an E track chock?
Unlike the one you posted, this one connects directly to the track.
Have a good day
Edit to add
Wish I would have known about them before I bought what you posted. hahaha!!
Oh, I wasn't aware those existed. Those might be an option. And while I do like the concept from an adaptability standpoint, I still worry that having even just the track in place may lead to problems. I foresee mulch and dirt getting down into the slots and being a pain in the butt to get out, or damaging them by dragging big timbers across them (plan is to install a winch on the front of the trailer to accomplish this).

I'd love to find a heavier duty version of something like this that I could mount from the bottom and just bolt the chocks into when I need them.

Screenshot 20220403 134451

Reactions: Buggyman
The Green Goat

The Green Goat

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
Saw those. Any idea what kind of pressure it takes to pull one of those out? I see they make a 3/8-16 x 1" variant, which would be about perfect for those chocks. Perhaps a combo of those plus the T-nuts I posted would give it the strength it needs to hold. Hmmm.
no idea I never used them just trying to give options maybe someone in here has experience with them will chime in

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
no idea I never used them just trying to give options maybe someone in here has experience with them will chime in
The more I read into them, the more I think these might be the way to go. EZ lock offers no mechanical testing data on them due to so much variation in the material they're being placed.

Certainly with 6-8 of these per chock (8 chocks total), that oughta be able to hold the weight.

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
The more I read into them, the more I think these might be the way to go. EZ lock offers no mechanical testing data on them due to so much variation in the material they're being placed.

Certainly with 6-8 of these per chock (8 chocks total), that oughta be able to hold the weight.
might not hurt to make sure it's good and dry when you install them and use a waterproof glue

advertisement
PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you have access to a welder, you could make something similar. Because you are bolting into a wood floor, get some pieces of 1-1/2 x 1-1/2” angle long enough to span 3 of your floorboards; drill holes in the angle iron to match the spacing of your wheel chocks and weld nuts to the bottom of the angle iron. Once this is done, mount every thing on your trailer and drill at least 2 smaller holes in the angle iron from the bottom and run some smaller wood screws into the bottom of the flooring. When you remove the chocks, just run the bolts back in with a flat washer to keep them from pulling into the wood too much and you’ll have a clean floor again.

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
If you have access to a welder, you could make something similar. Because you are bolting into a wood floor, get some pieces of 1-1/2 x 1-1/2” angle long enough to span 3 of your floorboards; drill holes in the angle iron to match the spacing of your wheel chocks and weld nuts to the bottom of the angle iron. Once this is done, mount every thing on your trailer and drill at least 2 smaller holes in the angle iron from the bottom and run some smaller wood screws into the bottom of the flooring. When you remove the chocks, just run the bolts back in with a flat washer to keep them from pulling into the wood too much and you’ll have a clean floor again.
Also not a bad idea!

NorthernJoe

NorthernJoe

Feb 10, 2021
Northern Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have used these to mount laminate panels in elevators, I would not put a lot of faith to hold a sxs in a trailer. I'd go with the welded angle iron mounted under the 2x6's

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was thinking of something like this

OlYeller15

OlYeller15

Jan 30, 2021
Georgia
Ownership

1. 500

I have D-rings mounted on the floor. I use 2 inch ratchet straps. Sorry I don’t have any pictures my trailer is on a mission currently. Also I have a plastic bed liner I pick up from a wrecked truck. It’s great for hauling mulch,sand,gravel… Just my Red Neck version.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!