tomcj2

tomcj2

I forgot the ditch was so close
Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2018
N. Shore Lake Huron,Northern Ontario Canada
Ownership

1. 500
When my wife and I go riding we are normally alone. I am concerned that if we are 15 miles into the bush and have a mechanical (unlikely) failure and a medical emergency we would be in serious trouble.
Yesterday we rode with a friend with a CanAm bike; I actually felt more at ease.
I am considering a second machine but can't afford another P500 (there are NO used ones around here)
Any suggestions?

C

Chooglin

When my wife and I go riding we are normally alone. I am concerned that if we are 15 miles into the bush and have a mechanical (unlikely) failure and a medical emergency we would be in serious trouble.
Yesterday we rode with a friend with a CanAm bike; I actually felt more at ease.
I am considering a second machine but can't afford another P500 (there are NO used ones around here)
Any suggestions?
ATV maybe ?

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any suggestions?
I hear the talons are nice! ;)

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
T

twodog

Jan 22, 2019
Ozark Mountains
Ownership

1. 500
Being on the downhill side of 60 I understand exactly what you are concerned about. We sometime ride alone but never in any real remote areas. It might be awhile but someone would eventually come by. However most of the time we ride with another couple our age and are retired too. They love to ride as much as we do and we have a blast sharing the ride. Cheap and best solution IMO if you can make it work. Most places we ride a cell phone is useless.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Any suggestions?
I used to feel that way when I owned my POPO! After I purchased The BEAST that feeling went away! Trust your Honda, but at the same time be prepared for your ride and what if moments!

But if you had two P5’s...I imagine your confidence level would most certainly double ;)

Last edited:
H

Heloron

Mar 5, 2017
Oroville, California
Ownership

1. 500
Any suggestions?
For me, I carry a SPOT tracker wherever I go, makes my wife and me feel a lot more at ease when riding off the beaten path. It's a GPS unit and with the newer models you can send text messages as well as plot your exact location on Google Earth map if you just need assistance or if you have an emergency situation. $200.00 per year, and it also has a real time tracking feature that allows someone of your choice to track your progress wherever you go. Just dial up SPOT Tracker on Google for the info. Heck of a lot cheaper that buying a 2nd ATV or SxS.

advertisement
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Any suggestions?
Put a lil 50cc mini bike on the back of your p5

Reactions: Plumber32
KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
I would get a SPOT or garmin GPS with satellite communication capabilities. That way you can still ride together and call for help if needed.

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
My P-5 let me down today.Fuel pump quit at about 600mi. and 115hrs. I had just exited some really tight,rough trails and had come to a dirt road crossing when she died,so getting a truck and trailer to it was easy.[after calling a friend for an hour before getting him to answer].LoL Got it home and did some checking to confirm that it was indeed the pump.Always had clean fuel and never run empty,so I guess with electric pumps,you never know.I am one month out of warranty.While waiting on my friend,"the urge" hit,so luckily I had some "striking" paper on board,so I got that taken care of.LoL

Reactions: Mudder and Chooglin
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
if was looking for a cheap reliable atv wouldnt be honda they ride terrible. can ams are too unreliable. would be a couple year old kodiak or grizz 700, they ride nice, and run forever with no on trail issues. they also have the cheapest maintanance parts and stuff, you can just get truck fluids and car filters at walmart for the oil changes and stuff, great if you are going to be doing two, honda stuff is about 3 times as expensive

Reactions: rtn001
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
My ride often follows in a Rancher 420 FA6, (DCT, PS, IRS) 80% of rides. Transmission is super smooth and even in AT mode, it has great engine braking down hill. She says it takes care of her on the trails and goes anywhere the P500 can. Wish the P500 had the DCT.

Reactions: rtn001
CASTRATE

CASTRATE

Jun 23, 2019
NE OKLAHOMA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought my 2013 foreman in 2017 with 93 hrs & 300 miles on it for 2400, with a small atv trailer. It is a 4x4 with footshift & no power steering. The dude had to get rid of it because his kids had a hard time driving it. There are deals out there, just gotta get lucky

Reactions: rtn001 and Mudder
tomcj2

tomcj2

I forgot the ditch was so close
Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2018
N. Shore Lake Huron,Northern Ontario Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I just ordered a new 50" MASSIMO UTV.

810103128 z

I'm having second thoughts about it and I can refuse delivery when it arrives without any financial loss.
The dealer, (TSC Canada) claims that it is 493cc engine that develops 25 hp; I suspect that is is only 400cc. If it is only a 400 will it have enough power to climb steep hills and ditches?

It apparently comes with windshield, roof, mirrors, dump box, and a 3500 lb winch.
I intend to use it for:
- daily driver in the winter when the plow is on my P500.
- allow us to take an experienced hunter with us when we go for a moose later this month.
- piece of mind; we will take both machines part of the way into the bush when we are exploring new territory. In the unlikely event that the P500 breaks down we will have a "Plan B" to get home.

The "out the door" price is $4,880.00 (US) not including sales tax. If I hate it after this winter I hope to be able to sell it without much of a loss.

Is this a stupid move on my part?

Reactions: rtn001 and DG Rider
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
off brand anything, the suspension(being able go the speed without destroying it) is the limiting factor and you never get anything for them used, no one wants it after they use it a while. used name brand is a way better monetary move you could sell it for near what you paid a few years from now if you want and its a much more reliable machine. and you can actually go the top speed without destroying it or you. you arent going to get a utv for 5 but couple year old kodiak or grizz you could. they have enough engine to get the pioneer home if you need and you can take the guide on the pioneer

Last edited:
advertisement