CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand
  • New for 2019
  • New Powertrain
  • The YXZ1000R proved its Pure Sport performance time and time again. For 2019, a range of enhancements push the envelope no matter where you drive. Drivers looking to tear up gnarly woods and trails will appreciate the lowered gearing with a tighter first gear, ideal for technical riding and sharper torque right off the bottom. And folks looking to blast through the desert will love the beefy new engine internals, which makes adding Yamaha’s turbocharger kit easier than ever.
  • New Cooling System
    Big power means big heat, so for 2019, the YXZ1000R uses an all-new cooling system that not only ensures proper cooling during the toughest conditions, but is designed to ensure the cabin remains comfortable and the radiator stays clear of mud and debris.
  • New Wheels and Suspension
    To ensure the YXZ1000R is able to make the most of its roaring three-cylinder engine, the driver needs to get traction across a range of conditions, so the 2019 YXZ1000R brings updated suspension settings to control the larger 29-inch Maxxis® Bighorn® tires for exceptional grip.
  • All-Wheel Disc Brakes
    The YXZ1000R offers fantastic braking thanks to upgraded, larger diameter front rotors for 2019 (increased by 10mm). These improvements, along with the rear disc brakes, maintain braking and boost feel for superior deceleration.
  • New Styling
    Goes fast, looks fast. An updated frame underpins sharper styling from nose to tail, while still ensuring class-leading driver visibility with the aggressively low hood design.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
did older models have better bed space? the lack of bed space was a huge turn off for me
Pre 19 has a lot more space. It doesn’t have the rear radiator. It’s not as large as talon by looks of that but is usable.

Reactions: Dragon21
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That all makes sense but what about lower gearing ? Do you not feel it is needed. Many in my are think it is an absolute need for our type of eastern trails. And yes hear nothing but good things about Alba and Weller.
He’s saying he’s not seen a failure in the area with that setup. It’s a slow trail area too. With Rekluse on dirt bike you ride one gear higher so I’d tend to believe him first is enough. If Talon doesn’t work out I’ll learn quickly.

Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Tough decision for sure. If Yamaha would've put the new 850 in the old wolverine I'd be sold. But they didn't so Talon or YXZ I guess.

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Pre 19 has a lot more space. It doesn’t have the rear radiator. It’s not as large as talon by looks of that but is usable.
Just looked it up. I had only looked at the 2019 because the lower gearing. Not sure how id feel about shifting as my only option is a reason i discounted the yxz originally.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Just looked it up. I had only looked at the 2019 because the lower gearing. Not sure how id feel about shifting as my only option is a reason i discounted the yxz originally.
With a Rekluse it auto clutches. You pull up to a stop still in gear without use of clutch. It would be like paddle shifting the Pioneer. That’s the route I’d take

Reactions: Dragon21
CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sir you are quite clueless about the popo. Here in our area the popo riders/owners are always joking about their machines constantly breaking down or even worse burning down. They have absolutely earned their " breaking down " reputation. Canned hams and popos are both belt burners. Every Atv park I ride at (RRB, Brimstone, Windrock, H&M, Wildcat) have plenty of popo and canned ham belts available for purchase.

Just saying.

I wouldn't say clueless, I'm just reporting my real world observations. I don't ride at those atv parks, so maybe things are different there.

I only know two people who have rzr s and they have had zero issues with theirs. I would also say that just stating those machines are belt burners hardly qualifies as earning a reputation of breaking down. I mean, they are going to burn belts by design. I'd say that the belt is more of a wear item, just normal service or maintenance, they aren't expensive and I think guys are changing them trail side.

You could say it is a poor design then, but there are benefits to the belt. Weighs less, cheaper to make, less parts, and they get the power to the ground very nicely. My brother has a Viking 6, and it has never been bogged down, even with that stupid old 700 single, the belt drive let's it get the rpms up enough to always spin all 4 tires. My pioneer on the other hand has been bogged before to the point of push the gas and it can't get the tires going.

I would also point out that you only hear about the bad experiences with products. And considering Polaris has sold a million times more side by sides than Honda, then I would expect to hear more complaint stories from them. However, the ratio of legitimate complaints due to quality control or craftsmanship compared sales, is probably the same as honda? I mean, Honda has had its fair share of recalls and TSBs in the last 2 years as well. And someone mentioned Polaris lying about suspension travel, but I believe Honda has done a little covering up of their own (intake design for one).

Still sticking to it though. If I drove my pioneer like I've seen these Polaris be abused, I'm sure it would break too. There has actually been more times when I've seen a rzr do something and left me wondering how it didn't break. And if you threw 160 hp in front of our drive train, and then finished it off with 33" tires, I wonder how it would hold up? People'd be calling Honda's clutch burners.... wait, they already do lol.

I'm not saying Polaris is good by anymeans... I would never buy one. But to the uninformed, they look real nice on paper, and on the showroom floor. They have done an awesome job of branding, model expansion, balancing an acceptable product quality level to reasonable price, etc. They even have a signature exhaust note, you can hear a rzr getting crazy in the woods and know it is a rzr.

Reactions: nbomar
Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Ok you need a larger sampling then. RZRs don't wear out belts, they burn them. Even the owners of them know it. My point about the atv/trail systems is not that the trails are the problem, my point is in retail you stock what's gonna sell. They are also great fire starters.

Reactions: JTW
Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Yamaha cvt is totally different than a RZR or canned ham for that matter. Always tight and even at idle. Does not need rpm to engage grip on the sheave. Primary is stationary at idle until wet clutch grabs. So yes RZRs are belt burners because of their design.

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yamaha cvt is totally different than a RZR or canned ham for that matter. Always tight and even at idle. Does not need rpm to engage grip on the sheave. Primary is stationary at idle until wet clutch grabs. So yes RZRs are belt burners because of their design.

Yeah I knew this. Love that Yamaha design. I was really hoping that I'd like the wolverine. That new 850 seems promising, but when I sat in the wolverine it seemed like I was sitting straight up like the pioneer but with less leg room. I was kinda disappointed. Figured if I liked it i could make a decent trail rig out of one.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I wouldn't say clueless, I'm just reporting my real world observations. I don't ride at those atv parks, so maybe things are different there.

I only know two people who have rzr s and they have had zero issues with theirs. I would also say that just stating those machines are belt burners hardly qualifies as earning a reputation of breaking down. I mean, they are going to burn belts by design. I'd say that the belt is more of a wear item, just normal service or maintenance, they aren't expensive and I think guys are changing them trail side.

You could say it is a poor design then, but there are benefits to the belt. Weighs less, cheaper to make, less parts, and they get the power to the ground very nicely. My brother has a Viking 6, and it has never been bogged down, even with that stupid old 700 single, the belt drive let's it get the rpms up enough to always spin all 4 tires. My pioneer on the other hand has been bogged before to the point of push the gas and it can't get the tires going.

I would also point out that you only hear about the bad experiences with products. And considering Polaris has sold a million times more side by sides than Honda, then I would expect to hear more complaint stories from them. However, the ratio of legitimate complaints due to quality control or craftsmanship compared sales, is probably the same as honda? I mean, Honda has had its fair share of recalls and TSBs in the last 2 years as well. And someone mentioned Polaris lying about suspension travel, but I believe Honda has done a little covering up of their own (intake design for one).

Still sticking to it though. If I drove my pioneer like I've seen these Polaris be abused, I'm sure it would break too. There has actually been more times when I've seen a rzr do something and left me wondering how it didn't break. And if you threw 160 hp in front of our drive train, and then finished it off with 33" tires, I wonder how it would hold up? People'd be calling Honda's clutch burners.... wait, they already do lol.

I'm not saying Polaris is good by anymeans... I would never buy one. But to the uninformed, they look real nice on paper, and on the showroom floor. They have done an awesome job of branding, model expansion, balancing an acceptable product quality level to reasonable price, etc. They even have a signature exhaust note, you can hear a rzr getting crazy in the woods and know it is a rzr.
Well at $ 14,000 for a brand new 19 1000 sure got my attention!

Reactions: dnjones161
Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Yeah I knew this. Love that Yamaha design. I was really hoping that I'd like the wolverine. That new 850 seems promising, but when I sat in the wolverine it seemed like I was sitting straight up like the pioneer but with less leg room. I was kinda disappointed. Figured if I liked it i could make a decent trail rig out of one.
Yes the 850 needs to be in the original Rspec. The X2 was a big disappointment to me as well. That's why it will be a Talon or 2019 Yxz for me. As Cp has stated and it is true, a pre 2019 YXZ can be improved to be very trail worthy as well.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yes the 850 needs to be in the original Rspec. The X2 was a big disappointment to me as well. That's why it will be a Talon or 2019 Yxz for me. As Cp has stated and it is true, a pre 2019 YXZ can be improved to be very trail worthy as well.
I love Rooster /P15 and will keep him until he quit's Roosting gravel! The Talon, sigh, I had great hopes for, think Honda put to much faith into the I4WD system to sell these to the RZR crowd, not happening and they forgot about suspension! Fox entry level shocks really? Honda I have to ask, why don't you put some prototypes out three years before production for trail riders, dune riders ect? I hope sales are good for you, but????? You have sailed your ship.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I searched the Pioneer Facebook forums for problems with the I4WD as a bunch of them are lifted, portals, huge tires, etc. I didn't see any complaints.
I don't the enthusiastic crowd cares a flip about I4WD? Throw it in for free with killer shocks, ok?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
The new Wolverine just didn’t feel like the original. I know some like it but to me they ruined everything I liked about ours especially room and comfort. Only thing better is power but for what it does that was never a complaint for us.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I love Rooster /P15 and will keep him until he quit's Roosting gravel! The Talon, sigh, I had great hopes for, think Honda put to much faith into the I4WD system to sell these to the RZR crowd, not happening and they forgot about suspension! Fox entry level shocks really? Honda I have to ask, why don't you put some prototypes out three years before production for trail riders, dune riders ect? I hope sales are good for you, but????? You have sailed your ship.
I’ve got some of the same complaints but I am still looking at it and can’t wait to see some real reviews and mileage laid down

Reactions: BWAF
C

Chooglin

At this point , all we can do is , sit back and wait until they hit the trails. We need some real feedback on these new machines. My only concern now , is the suspension and price.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!