DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I thought I saw some videos about how a lack of power at low end on the 700 is an issue, especially at higher altitudes.
I saw those too.:D

I've seen it struggle at high elevations. I've also seen it do things I wouldn't even attempt in a 500. Pick your poison.

IMO, I think it will do fine where most people ride.

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
Since I live on the east coast there is not enough elevation to make it struggle. But if I was at my father-in-law in Colorado in sure I could choke it down out there.

Reactions: Mudwing
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
going to find out this weekend, my house is pretty low and flat, but it hasent acted once like I needed more power, pulls whatever ive tried hauled a bunch of wood in the snow and ice. the park I'm going to is about 2k I think, tons of steep hills covered with mud especially when we get as much rain as we have this week. going to be mud everywhere

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Since I live on the east coast there is not enough elevation to make it struggle. But if I was at my father-in-law in Colorado in sure I could choke it down out there.
The Rockies is where mine met its doom, but had it a low range, it would have been fine.

Reactions: Backwoods
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
going to find out this weekend, my house is pretty low and flat, but it hasent acted once like I needed more power, pulls whatever ive tried hauled a bunch of wood in the snow and ice. the park I'm going to is about 2k I think, tons of steep hills covered with mud especially when we get as much rain as we have this week. going to be mud everywhere
2k isn't anything to worry about. It's when you get into the 4-5k+....

ThomasRecknerJr

ThomasRecknerJr

Dec 12, 2018
McClellandtown,PA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Every now and then wifey will surprise you! We passed Honda dealer today, so decided to drop in. Showed her a P5. I though she’d not get past the price tag, but she actually was more concerned about the lack of a bed on the back.

Showed her the 700 as well, and she kind of likes the 700-4. Likes the idea of having additional seating, just in case. Most of the time, it’d be just us, but could be opportunities where extra seating would come in handy. In my mind, it’d be infrequent. She “left it up to me.”

I had been leaning heavily toward the P5, but given her response, I’m having second thoughts If you had the choice between the 700-4 or the 500, which would you choose? What is really the difference between them? I ran across a used P700-4 that I posted about in the other forum. As always, thanks for everyone's Insights.

I'd have here check into the 1000 le there so much better plus have low range.

Reactions: Montecresto
D

DDDonkey

I will pipe in, if width is not an issue then gets the biggest you can afford. My rule is if I can only have one, then the best I can afford and not worry. I think that you will be happy with any of the Honda's but if your looking at a 2 seater there is always the Talon for a few dollars more...........

C

cras108er

Apr 19, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
A 2016 700-2 just popped up in my area. Full enclosure, heater, plow, winch, etc. The rub is that it has 8k miles (1200 hours) on it, but the engine was replaced by Honda in Jan 2018.

Supposedly used by an old guy on his farm, and Honda left a rag in engine when he took it in to have top rebuilt. Replaced engine. Current owner has put 200 miles on it. They are third owners.

Want $10,500 (firm) for it. Would the miles/story cause you to run to or from?

L2R

L2R

Understanding women Vol. 1
Lifetime Member
Feb 16, 2019
East of the Appalachians
Ownership

1. 700-4
Sounds high even if it has the exact accessories you want.

Didn't shop but 2 minutes here and found a new 2018 for $7,898.
Hoses, tires and battery is 2 years newer with a warranty.
I think you about break even buying new maybe even a bit ahead if you are patient when buying accessories.

I know that years back we bent a truck frame pushing snow up north. Couldn't keep front tires on it. We could not afford to drive it unless it was making money pushing snow after that.

With knowledge gained from my youth, I am wary of vehicles that are easily mistreated with multiple owners (motorcycles, sports cars and utvs)
(this might be good advice in selecting a woman for anyone out there looking!)

I may not have thought of everything, others may have a different view and better observations but that would be a no brainer for me.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
every one including me pays about 10 for a new 700-2 one. standard 700-2s used with less than 1k miles 6-8k depending on acc and condition, and my area the prices are pretty high

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
A 2016 700-2 just popped up in my area. Full enclosure, heater, plow, winch, etc. The rub is that it has 8k miles (1200 hours) on it, but the engine was replaced by Honda in Jan 2018.

Supposedly used by an old guy on his farm, and Honda left a rag in engine when he took it in to have top rebuilt. Replaced engine. Current owner has put 200 miles on it. They are third owners.

Want $10,500 (firm) for it. Would the miles/story cause you to run to or from?
Personally I’d keep looking.

C

cras108er

Apr 19, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
Personally I’d keep looking.

Thanks for the thoughts. Interesting that no one clued in on the fact that the engine has been replaced... which I guess says something in and of itself about use/abuse. Probably a pretty risky proposition, considering the owner doesn’t even have a first hand explanation of the machine’s history.

L2R

L2R

Understanding women Vol. 1
Lifetime Member
Feb 16, 2019
East of the Appalachians
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks for the thoughts. Interesting that no one clued in on the fact that the engine has been replaced... which I guess says something in and of itself about use/abuse. Probably a pretty risky proposition, considering the owner doesn’t even have a first hand explanation of the machine’s history.

no reason to restate the obvious- it was pretty obvious this had problems and thus, the reasoning for avoiding it. That and it's just high.

Reactions: twodog and Mudwing
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks for the thoughts. Interesting that no one clued in on the fact that the engine has been replaced...
Couple of problems here:
A)It's my understanding from what Honda techs have said, that it's very rare for Honda to "replace" an engine (@HondaTech ?). They simply replace all the "bad" parts...meaning the local dealer's tech has completely redone the engine, and odds are he/she isn't that good.

B) If the engine is indeed new, you still have a chassis/drivetrain with 8k that's priced like a new one. The accessories are nice, but only worth a fraction of what they cost the current owner as far as resale. And do you need those?

If this machine were...I dunno...$6-7k or less and the engine story could be verified, I'd say go for it, as the 700 will last lots of miles. Otherwise, just go buy a new one for the same price.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Interesting that no one clued in on the fact that the engine has been replaced...
Oh I did, that’s part and parcel to my comment. Remember that we’re all just people offering opinions to your solicitation. Good luck to you...:):cool:

C

cras108er

Apr 19, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
Couple of problems here:
A)It's my understanding from what Honda techs have said, that it's very rare for Honda to "replace" an engine (@HondaTech ?). They simply replace all the "bad" parts...meaning the local dealer's tech has completely redone the engine, and odds are he/she isn't that good.

B) If the engine is indeed new, you still have a chassis/drivetrain with 8k that's priced like a new one. The accessories are nice, but only worth a fraction of what they cost the current owner as far as resale. And do you need those?

If this machine were...I dunno...$6-7k or less and the engine story could be verified, I'd say go for it, as the 700 will last lots of miles. Otherwise, just go buy a new one for the same price.
Mm
Oh I did, that’s part and parcel to my comment. Remember that we’re all just people offering opinions to your solicitation. Good luck to you...:):cool:
Sorry, my comment wasn’t meant as a criticism. I see how it could have been interpreted as such.

Good advice from everyone here! I did get enamored with the accessories, but I appreciate the perspectives offered. They tempered my enthusiasm, and that is a good thing. :)

Reactions: jwfirebird
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Sorry, my comment wasn’t meant as a criticism. I see how it could have been interpreted as such.
No worries man, I didn’t take it that way. :cool:

H

HondaTech

Couple of problems here:

That is correct, Honda will only replace an entire engine if they want the old one back in its entirety for inspection. Which I've never seen personally, but I did get a engine from them once that was replaced as a whole due to a noise they couldnt find on a CBR1000RR. Turns out the middle crank gear was knocking and they let us use the replaced engine(with a new crank) to fix another customer issue due to oil consumption because of uncoated piston rings.

I once had a P700 with a torn O-ring between the 2nd and 3rd clutch, which entails the engine being split to find. They just rebuilt it with what parts were damaged and it's like new.

The only way to verify the engine has been replaced as a whole is to inspect the engine tag and see if it matches the title or what Honda says it should have. Or if it looks like it's been tampered with.

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
The 700 beats the 5 in every category except size. If you have restricted trails or want to go places no one else can then you'll want the 500.
And...the 500 has properly matched gearing to power. The 700-4 is notorious for simply running out of steam when the going gets tough. Videos abound of the 700-4 grunting to a stop going up steep hills because 1st gear is not low enough and the motor isn’t strong enough to pull first gear, or even spin the tires. P500 - this is not the case - if you’ve got traction you’re going up.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!