P500 If you had a choice...

C

cras108er

Apr 19, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
Every now and then wifey will surprise you! We passed Honda dealer today, so decided to drop in. Showed her a P5. I though she’d not get past the price tag, but she actually was more concerned about the lack of a bed on the back.

Showed her the 700 as well, and she kind of likes the 700-4. Likes the idea of having additional seating, just in case. Most of the time, it’d be just us, but could be opportunities where extra seating would come in handy. In my mind, it’d be infrequent. She “left it up to me.”

I had been leaning heavily toward the P5, but given her response, I’m having second thoughts If you had the choice between the 700-4 or the 500, which would you choose? What is really the difference between them? I ran across a used P700-4 that I posted about in the other forum. As always, thanks for everyone's Insights.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Every now and then wifey will surprise you! We passed Honda dealer today, so decided to drop in. Showed her a P5. I though she’d not get past the price tag, but she actually was more concerned about the lack of a bed on the back.

Showed her the 700 as well, and she kind of likes the 700-4. Likes the idea of having additional seating, just in case. Most of the time, it’d be just us, but could be opportunities where extra seating would come in handy. In my mind, it’d be infrequent. She “left it up to me.”

I had been leaning heavily toward the P5, but given her response, I’m having second thoughts If you had the choice between the 700-4 or the 500, which would you choose? What is really the difference between them? I ran across a used P700-4 that I posted about in the other forum. As always, thanks for everyone's Insights.
Unless you have trail restrictions, 700.
but the 700 isn't the 500.
That's the point.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
ABSOLUTELY 100% G0 with the 1000 5 ! She went from the 5to the 7 easily enough . Just think , 3 peeps in the front ! 2 in the back OR fold them rear seats up and you could use it for the grocery store tooo !

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I have owned both, 700 and 500 and in my opinion, the big advantage the 500 has is the size/nimble profile, and if that is not important to you or a requirement then 700 all the way. The 700 has a nicer ride and I would strongly suggest getting the deluxe model with power steering and paddle shift (it has auto as well) as these two components will be handy over the long run, i.e., navigating trails and ability to select a gear when in tactical situations......

It goes without saying, a 1000 would be the next step up if budget allows....

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
If there are no trail width restrictions up there in God's Country go with the P1K5. If there is restrictions then you cannot beat the P5. :D

Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Seriously, unless you have trail width restrictions, get a 700 or even better the 1000. I had a 500 for 2 years and liked it. I now have a 1000 and wish I would have gotten it to start with.

T

twodog

Jan 22, 2019
Ozark Mountains
Ownership

1. 500
A good friend got a 700 with the extra seats because of the might want it. In 5 years he has never used it and wishes he had not gotten that version. If size was not an issue, which it is for me, I would go with the 700 or 1000 without the extra seats.

Reactions: rtn001
Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have owned both the 500 is a great little machine but the 700 rides much better, has more ground clearance and stability . I also like my power steering and much easier to secure cargo in bed , plenty of room for 2 and a pocket dog. If wife's on board het the 700 put 27s on it and don't look back. I like the 4 seater but it's just me and the wife so we are more than happy with the 2 seater.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I'd say another huge factor would be someone's mechanical skills. Aside from normal accessories, if you're looking to just buy it and drive it then the 500 isn't for you. The P5 is half built, leaving the owner to finish it for their own needs. In the end you'll have more time and money into the 5 but when you're done, you'll know that machine top to bottom inside and out. There won't be another one like it, it won't be the golf cart you test drove at the dealership and you'll go places that very few can.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Buy the 1000 and blow her socks off!

L2R

L2R

Understanding women Vol. 1
Lifetime Member
Feb 16, 2019
East of the Appalachians
Ownership

1. 700-4
I bought a 700-4 a few months ago. It is 90% for work and 10% for play.
If small is needed, go with the 500.
If the wife is going with you on occasion or you are using the dump bed, get the 700.
She will appreciate the glove box and space and you will appreciate the dump bed. I use it several times a week. I keep a small tool bag in the floor board and it saves me from making countless steps for ????

Reactions: rtn001
C

cras108er

Apr 19, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for all the input guys. I don’t think I have ever asked an opinion question on an internet forum before where there was this much agreement in terms of response. lol

So, I’m looking at the 700 now, but I have to tell you, I’m not crazy about that whole double roof thing. I’m not opposed to the extra seating, but the way it is designed, it definitely looks like a bus in the woods. lol

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
The double roof will help keep coolers and other stuff covered . Plus pretty wheels and bigger tires will make that bus look go away. Even if you don't plan on modifications they just kind of happen, before you now your into it and buying all kinds of stuff to suit your needs. Trust me I liked mine just fine till I looked others photos on here then it was on. I was surprised what I had to have.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks for all the input guys. I don’t think I have ever asked an opinion question on an internet forum before where there was this much agreement in terms of response. lol

So, I’m looking at the 700 now, but I have to tell you, I’m not crazy about that whole double roof thing. I’m not opposed to the extra seating, but the way it is designed, it definitely looks like a bus in the woods. lol
It is possible to put a 2 seater roof on the 4 and leave the rear section open. Maybe get the rear fabric roof panel for when you need it.

Or, for that matter, the entire rear ROPS comes off with a few bolts if you get plenty of advanced notice when having passengers.

But as @Backwoods said, the full roof can be pretty handy.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!