P1000 Improved shifting

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yesterday I took my '18 P1K5D to Brookhaven Honda to get the recall work done. They called this morning to tell me it was ready. While picking it up the service man told me it was a good time to bring it since Jan. is their slowest time of the year in the shop. I was very pleased.

I have been putting off for a while attempting to adjust the cables in the box that controls the shifting. It has always worked, but sometimes a little sticky and sometimes does not indicate turf mode on the dash after being taken out then back in turf mode.

Although the instructions seemed relatively simple, I am use to things never going as planned. My biggest concern was the vague instruction on how get the last measurement of .24" +/- .04". Basically I used a little redneck engineering and shot for a hair short of 1/4".

To my surprise, not only is the shifting better, but dang near perfect. Now the indicator on the dash is immediately correct with +95% of the shifts and always after just a few feet of movement. Hopefully this will also take care of the problem I had from time to time of delayed movement after shifting, then a hard SLAM into gear.

J

JTW

Yesterday I took my '18 P1K5D to Brookhaven Honda to get the recall work done. They called this morning to tell me it was ready. While picking it up the service man told me it was a good time to bring it since Jan. is their slowest time of the year in the shop. I was very pleased.

I have been putting off for a while attempting to adjust the cables in the box that controls the shifting. It has always worked, but sometimes a little sticky and sometimes does not indicate turf mode on the dash after being taken out then back in turf mode.

Although the instructions seemed relatively simple, I am use to things never going as planned. My biggest concern was the vague instruction on how get the last measurement of .24" +/- .04". Basically I used a little redneck engineering and shot for a hair short of 1/4".

To my surprise, not only is the shifting better, but dang near perfect. Now the indicator on the dash is immediately correct with +95% of the shifts and always after just a few feet of movement. Hopefully this will also take care of the problem I had from time to time of delayed movement after shifting, then a hard SLAM into gear.
Awesome!!! You should be in good shape..

Reactions: Mudwing and BigOL3
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I need to do this.... I had issues when it was brand new and got in there and took most of the slack out of the cables since they were super loose. It fixed my problem for a while but I have noticed some weird behavior recently. I'm sure it would be much better if i adjusted it by the book

Reactions: BigOL3
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

I like to think I'm pretty mechanically inclined and I have built a lot of complex projects. I don't know why but that little shifter box is a real mother f***er that I could never seem to get quite right. I always just have the dealer do it. Thankfully once they do it, it seems to stay correct. Glad you got yours worked out.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I like to think I'm pretty mechanically inclined and I have built a lot of complex projects. I don't know why but that little shifter box is a real mother f***er that I could never seem to get quite right. I always just have the dealer do it. Thankfully once they do it, it seems to stay correct. Glad you got yours worked out.
Hopefully it stays working well. I was REAL surprised it ended up working right ..... lol

Reactions: JTW
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hopefully it stays working well. I was REAL surprised it ended up working right ..... lol
Strange deal ....... today the dash indicator did not align as quickly with the traction mode lever. Most of the time after engaging in other modes or coming out of other modes, it had to move a few feet to 100 ft before the indicator jived with the lever. No big deal, just strange it change over night.

Reactions: TripleB
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If there was a particular mode ..... ex, 4wheel lock ..... that did not engage on the dash, are there instruction on how to set a particular modes shifting/engaging accuracy whether turf, 2wd, 4wd, or lock?

D

dilligaff82

Jan 24, 2017
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The indicator on my dash quit working right when my warranty expired. I’ve tinkered with it a couple times but never made any progress. It shifts through the modes properly so I just gave up. If I forget what mode I’m in I can just look at the shifter.

R

rickoshea

The indicator on my dash quit working right when my warranty expired. I’ve tinkered with it a couple times but never made any progress. It shifts through the modes properly so I just gave up. If I forget what mode I’m in I can just look at the shifter.
i'm having the same issue right now.can't drive it onto the trailer to get it into the dealer due to health issues,but it's under warranty so hopefully in the spring i get it sorted out.shifts ok just doesn't register on the dash.it's too new and too low miles to just disregard.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
The cable adjustment box under the bed only controls turf mode and 2wd. 1 of the 2 cables leading in goes to the shifter so it locks it in 2wd when going into Park. The other is from the 2wd/4wd drive shifter. If the front end lights or 4wd/Lock is not working, there are adjustments for both on the passenger side front diff, one in front behind a plastic cover and the other in the rear. The rear one controls 4wd and the front one is for Lock.

advertisement
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The cable adjustment box under the bed only controls turf mode and 2wd. 1 of the 2 cables leading in goes to the shifter so it locks it in 2wd when going into Park. The other is from the 2wd/4wd drive shifter. If the front end lights or 4wd/Lock is not working, there are adjustments for both on the passenger side front diff, one in front behind a plastic cover and the other in the rear. The rear one controls 4wd and the front one is for Lock.
Is there anywhere that explains how to go about making the adjustment for 4wd/lock for optimum performance, to get peak engage/disengage ?

Reactions: TripleB
D

dilligaff82

Jan 24, 2017
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Thanks for the info! I knew about the box under the rear floorboard and have adjusted those, but I didn’t know about the other two adjustment points. I’ll check those out ASAP. The indicator stopped working after I asked the dealership to adjust the cables because of sticky turf/2wd shifting while it was in for the clutch update. Warranty expired while it was in the shop for that and I didn’t notice till a week or so after I got it home that the indicator wasn’t working anymore.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Here the front adjuster for lock. You'll see the 2 bolt holes to the left where the plastic cover was bolted on to the front diff to cover it.
20200116 220624

Here is the rear for 4wd. Mine is partially disassembled with the rack out so it is easy to see here. Normally you can barely see the stud sticking down.
20200116 220615

I also double nutted all of mine front and rear to make sure the nuts do not back off. Not sure of the exact procedure of adjusting. I did mine on my lift, adjusting and spinning tires till i got as much movement on the arm and it would still disconnect when shifted out of 4wd/lock.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!