CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The only thing that matters is the rolling radius as that x two is effectively the new diameter as far as the machine sees it.
Not true, the larger circumference tires will turn fewer revolutions for any given distance causing the driveline to bind up any time 4wd is engaged.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Not true, the larger circumference tires will turn fewer revolutions for any given distance causing the driveline to bind up any time 4wd is engaged.
Lowering the pressure in a tire puts the axle centerline closer to the ground and the rollout of the tire will be reduced. A 40" tire deflated so that the axle is 15" off the ground instead of 20" will travel the same distance as a 30" tire because both rolling radii are equal.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Lowering the pressure in a tire puts the axle centerline closer to the ground and the rollout of the tire will be reduced. A 40" tire deflated so that the axle is 15" off the ground instead of 20" will travel the same distance as a 30" tire because both rolling radii are equal.
Try that on hard pack or slickrock and get back to us.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Whatever R U thinkin'? :p Tires - all four are either 30 x 9.5 x 15 or 30 x 10 x 15 depending on mfr. Front rims 6+1, rear 4+3. :cool:
Dood ... I was messing with you, cause 9.5 <> 10

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Dood ... I was messing with you, cause 9.5 <> 10
I know, saw the smilie but elaborated for those following along. :cool: Further elaboration - I'm either running four 9.5s or four 10s, all four corners get the same tire.

Reactions: Scoop
ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
On a 4x4 tractor with bigger size tires on the rear the difference in rolling radius is made up for in gear ratio. The same sffect can be had with "adjusting gear ratio" with lowering tire pressure hence rolling radius.
Not optimal but "in a pinch" it works. We are not talking about tire wear, just rolling radius.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The distance a tire rolls per revolution is determined by its circumference, not its rolling radius. Yes, in a pinch, you can get back to the trailer but I wouldn't intend to ride it that way for a weekend and you'd best not put it in 4wd, either locked or i4wd.

Reactions: GovtMule and Scoop
ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I know you think I'm makin this up but if you drive your truck down the highway and use your gps to gage your speed and compare to your speedometer, And then do the same with 5-10 psi less you will see what Im saying is indeed correct. Your gps compared to the speedometer will show the difference and that relates to tire revolutions per mile.
OR we can just wait for Kyle to do it and report back that he did not f*** up his machine.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I know you think I'm makin this up but if you drive your truck down the highway and use your gps to gage your speed and compare to your speedometer, And then do the same with 5-10 psi less you will see what Im saying is indeed correct. Your gps compared to the speedometer will show the difference and that relates to tire revolutions per mile.
OR we can just wait for Kyle to do it and report back that he did not f*** up his machine.
An engineer just did a test to check this out. Dropping tire pressure from 50 down to 10, showed .9% difference in rolling distance, a nearly insignificant change in rolling distance because the tire's circumference remains the same, like I said.

Reactions: TripleB
ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I agree that with a radial tire there will be little difference, but there is still a difference. We were talking about bias ply tires, especially the ones that come on the Pioneer. If the same test is done with bias ply tires the differences will be much greater. Especially if one is over inflated and the other is underinflated because they can stretch much more than a steel belted radial. I would guess the measurable difference would be more on the order of atleast 10 percent. Ask a drag racer that uses a spool and bias ply race slicks if equal air pressure side to side is important.

Test - Grid

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!