P500 INSTALLED EZ-steer

Tom_C

Tom_C

Jul 17, 2021
Virginia, USA
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks all. Last question... maybe :) I saw some info on centering the steering wheel. Is this something that will be needed, and/or is there something I can do prior to installing the keep the wheel centered?

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
Thanks all. Last question... maybe :) I saw some info on centering the steering wheel. Is this something that will be needed, and/or is there something I can do prior to installing the keep the wheel centered?
Its easy man - I wouldn't worry about any adjusting until you get the PS installed and then can mess with it.

Reactions: Smitty335 and Tom_C
Tom_C

Tom_C

Jul 17, 2021
Virginia, USA
Ownership

1. 500
Installed my ez steer today. It's surprisingly easy... the 2nd time ;) First time I must not have had the shafts in the right direction. The instructions don't mention that the lower shaft (maybe both lower and upper) have different sized clamps for the rack and pinion than the motor. I must have gotten it turned around somehow, and I couldn't get the motor mount to sit down correctly. Also, not having dealt with axles and shafts before, I didn't realize you must remove the bolt in the u-joints before sliding onto the shaft.

After jacking around with that for an hour (or 2), I had to go to the hardware store to replace a bolt I jacked up in the process. No damage to the shaft, fortunately.

The second install went very smoothly and dropped right in. A bit of monkeying with the mounting plate to keep it as far towards the passenger side while tighting, and boom. Bobs your uncle.

First impression of power steering?

hondabob64

hondabob64

Oct 22, 2018
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
My Tusk kit is 3 years old & still perfect as from day 1. Save your money & buy Tusk kit.

Reactions: Smitty335
LilRedDonkey

LilRedDonkey

Feb 25, 2021
cheesyland
Ownership

1. 500
well, soon as i hear one of theses companies makes this so it goes together one way and does not have clearance issues where you have to push, yank, or ratchet strap to make it work correctly, that is the brand i will buy. can't get myself to give any company my money for something that could be made correctly but seem to be using minimal materials to the point you have to make it work. not in that big of hurry myself, or maybe never unless one of these companies decide to make this unit fit correctly when you mount it. the one that does gets my money. will follow this to see if it ever happens.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
It'll never happen, for the P5 anyway. Too small of a machine and the tolerances are super tight. They've pretty much nailed it for what they had to work with. Never heard of anyone having to use a strap, just take your time and pay attention, it goes right in. The reward is huge IMO.

Tom_C

Tom_C

Jul 17, 2021
Virginia, USA
Ownership

1. 500
It'll never happen, for the P5 anyway. Too small of a machine and the tolerances are super tight. They've pretty much nailed it for what they had to work with. Never heard of anyone having to use a strap, just take your time and pay attention, it goes right in. The reward is huge IMO.

I agree, and if I had to do it again I would drill a hole and use a self tapper to hold the mounting bracket in place while tightening. At the time I was installing I didn't think about a self tapper and I wasn't set up to tap a hole myself, but someone else mentioned the self tapper and that seems like the ticket. I think the manufacturers wanted something that didn't need any holes drilled, else including a self tapping screw and requirement to drill a hole would be a good addition to the instructions.

Reactions: trigger
Tom_C

Tom_C

Jul 17, 2021
Virginia, USA
Ownership

1. 500
exactly what i'm talking about!!!

Well, you do you, but IMO if that's all that's keeping you from doing it then It's not that big a deal. Another thing that might work is to use something sticky on the cross bar, like a squirt of spray on undercoating or whatever, to provide some friction to the mounting bracket while you tighten it up. But, I think the self tapper would be better.

To each their own, but I think you're missing out :)

CaboJim

CaboJim

Nov 1, 2018
Washougal WA
Ownership

1. 500
I installed the Tusk EPS a couple of months ago and on occasion I get a popping noise from the steering shaft. I can feel it as well. Almost like the shaft is hitting the brake reservoir on occasion however there appears to be at least 1/2 inch clearance. Any ideas?

Reactions: Smitty335
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
The only problem I had with that install was right at the end, flexing of the bracket mounted on the frame. Too much angle on that knuckle joint causing it to lift? Called SATV about it and they said it was normal. Loosened that shaft and tried to find the sweet spot before cinching it down. If a guy were to just cinch it down with the knuckle too far out of place though, that's a lot of stress, it might pop. 🤷‍♂️

Tom_C

Tom_C

Jul 17, 2021
Virginia, USA
Ownership

1. 500
The only problem I had with that install was right at the end, flexing of the bracket mounted on the frame. Too much angle on that knuckle joint causing it to lift? Called SATV about it and they said it was normal. Loosened that shaft and tried to find the sweet spot before cinching it down. If a guy were to just cinch it down with the knuckle too far out of place though, that's a lot of stress, it might pop. 🤷‍♂️

Hm, I will loosen and refit mine. After installing I did feel a click, and then I think I felt it one other time, but I'm only driving around my half acre lot until I take it back to the mountain. Good info.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!