It all started with “Hold My Beer”
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2019
Winfield, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I Installed the Viper UTV Winch - Elite Widespool 4500 on my 2019 P1K5 with the recommended mounting kit for it. There are many ways to address the installation & it really just depends on the users preferences how to set up your machine. Hope this helps some folks out there wanting to install this winch setup.

Where to start, I ordered the Viper UTV Winch - Elite Widespool for from the Honda SXS store with the mounting kit. I already had a winch flush mount rocker switch kit to replace the one that comes with the winch witch Is green & does not match your everyday rockers most folks use and all my rockers are blue. @Hondasxs was a huge help in choosing everything I needed!! It was easy once you figure out where you want to run your wires to the solenoid & wireless remote receiver. The links below are for the winch, everyday rocker switch & key-on adapter.

Viper UTV Winch - Elite Widespool

Winch in/out flush mount switch for Honda Pioneer.

KEY ON POWER Harness for Honda Pioneer 1000, 700, 500, and Talon 1000.

1. You have to remove the bumper from the plastic using a Allen wrench then from the subframe with 2 bolts located at the bottom and 4 bolts located in the middle.

Image jpg

Image jpg

2. Then you attach the winch to the mounting plate. The directions tell you to mount it upside down but I mounted mine right side up where you can engage the free spool gear on the driver side. I did not have to cut a single thing. It fit behind the stock bumper with plenty of room. I also attached the aluminum hawse fairlead to the front of the stock bumper at this time.

Image jpg

Image jpg

059dcd45 130d 42df 9e84 d734bbccfca1 jpeg

79f7580a 56b3 4c83 a59e 5a5eff265e7c jpeg

3. You mount the winch with the plate attached to the tube subframe. After I mounted this I went ahead and loosely hooked my wires up to the winch & figured out how I was going to run my wires to the solenoid. Then you run the winch cable through the fairlead (that's on the bumper) & rubber line stopper. I attached the removable hook after I did this. I reattached the front bumper while pulling the winch cable slack through so nothing got tangled.

Image jpg

4. Once you have a located where you would like to put the wireless relay box and the solenoid, you’re ready to wire up. I located my wireless remote receiver on top of the cubby box (strong 3M double sided sticky tape) and the solenoid to the left of the air cleaner. I still have all the room to run dual batteries with the kits sold from the club store if I go that route.

Image jpg

Image jpg

Image jpg

Image jpg

5. Once installed make sure everything works. Following the directions for wireless remote setup (very easy) as well as making sure your rocker switch works. With the way I went (winch right side up and wires green on black and green on black), I unspooled and respooled to pull from the top (recommended) instead of the bottom. I push the IN button & the cable goes IN and when I push the OUT button the cable goes OUT.

Here is a pic of my busbar situation for all accessories on driver side.

Image jpg

Last but not least here’s a picture of the end result. Tried to keep it as clean as possible!!

Image jpg

Just waiting on my blank covers to come in.

Image jpg

The flush mount winch rocker works the same direction as the factory would have. IN on top and OUT on bottom.

Last edited:
Isaiah

Isaiah

Dec 30, 2019
Altamont TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I Installed the Viper UTV Winch - Elite Widespool on my 2019 P1K5 with the recommended mounting kit for it. There are many ways to address the installation & it really just depends on the users preferences how to set up your machine. Hope this helps some folks out there wanting to install this winch setup.

Where to start, I ordered the Viper UTV Winch - Elite Widespool for from the Honda SXS store with the mounting kit. I already had a winch flush mount rocker switch kit to replace the one that comes with the winch witch Is green & does not match your everyday rockers most folks use and all my rockers are blue. @Hondasxs was a huge help in choosing everything I needed!! It was easy once you figure out where you want to run your wires to the solenoid & wireless remote receiver. The links below are for the winch, everyday rocker switch & key-on adapter.

Viper UTV Winch - Elite Widespool

Winch in/out flush mount switch for Honda Pioneer.

KEY ON POWER Harness for Honda Pioneer 1000, 700, 500, and Talon 1000.

1. You have to remove the bumper from the plastic using a Allen wrench then from the subframe with 2 bolts located at the bottom and 4 bolts located in the middle.

View attachment 174714

View attachment 174715

2. Then you attach the winch to the mounting plate. The directions tell you to mount it upside down but I mounted mine right side up where you can engage the free spool gear on the driver side. I did not have to cut a single thing. It fit behind the stock bumper with plenty of room. I also attached the aluminum hawse fairlead to the front of the stock bumper at this time.

View attachment 174716

View attachment 174717

View attachment 174718

View attachment 174719

3. You mount the winch with the plate attached to the tube subframe. After I mounted this I went ahead and loosely hooked my wires up to the winch & figured out how I was going to run my wires to the solenoid. Then you run the winch cable through the fairlead (that's on the bumper) & rubber line stopper. I attached the removable hook after I did this. I reattached the front bumper while pulling the winch cable slack through so nothing got tangled.

View attachment 174720

4. Once you have a located where you would like to put the wireless relay box and the solenoid, you’re ready to wire up. I located my wireless remote receiver on top of the cubby box (strong 3M double sided sticky tape) and the solenoid to the left of the air cleaner. I still have all the room to run dual batteries with the kits sold from the club store if I go that route.

View attachment 174721

View attachment 174722

View attachment 174723

View attachment 174724

5. Once installed make sure everything works. Following the directions for wireless remote setup (very easy) as well as making sure your rocker switch works. With the way I went (winch right side up and wires green on black and green on black), I unspooled and respooled to pull from the top (recommended) instead of the bottom. I push the IN button & the cable goes IN and when I push the OUT button the cable goes OUT.

Here is a pic of my busbar situation for all accessories on driver side.

View attachment 174725

Last but not least here’s a picture of the end result. Tried to keep it as clean as possible!!

View attachment 174726

Just waiting on my blank covers to come in.

View attachment 174727

The flush mount winch rocker works the same direction as the factory would have. IN on top and OUT on bottom.

Looks good:)

Reactions: ProudDadOf5
ProudDadOf5

ProudDadOf5

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2019
Winfield, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
It sure helped me.What do think about the harbor freight 5000lb winch?

Absolutely nothing wrong with it!! Badlands are good winches too. Lots of folks run em..

Reactions: Isaiah and Russ989
ProudDadOf5

ProudDadOf5

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2019
Winfield, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Thank you! Just the info. I needed before wasting my money on a dealer install with my new 1k5.

You’re most certainly welcome. Let me or us (the club) know if you have any questions ! ;)

Reactions: Isaiah and Mudwing
ProudDadOf5

ProudDadOf5

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2019
Winfield, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Thank you! Just the info. I needed before wasting my money on a dealer install with my new 1k5.

Hey @Mainesag, I see your a new member.. Welcome to the club from WV!!

Reactions: Mainesag
AZRocks

AZRocks

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2019
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are you sure the winch brake will work properly with it spooled in the opposite direction?

ProudDadOf5

ProudDadOf5

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2019
Winfield, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Are you sure the winch brake will work properly with it spooled in the opposite direction?
That’s a good question. I have hooked it to the back of my truck and pulled the wheeler with just the winch up a hill. I also can’t read anywhere of the viper elite having a winch break. @Hondasxs do you have an answer for us?

Reactions: Isaiah
CMB

CMB

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
That’s a good question. I have hooked it to the back of my truck and pulled the wheeler with just the winch up a hill. I also can’t read anywhere of the viper elite having a winch break. @Hondasxs do you have an answer for us?
Everything ive found shows line coming off bottom for brake to work.

ProudDadOf5

ProudDadOf5

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2019
Winfield, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Everything ive found shows line coming off bottom for brake to work.
Oops, I may have f***ed up. The reason I did it that way is because I am lazy and I did not want to get out on the driver side and have to free spool on the passenger side. I have had no issues with it so far. It pulls like a son of a b**** and stays engaged when line is under stress. The only time it free spools is when I turn the knob. 😉

Winch Specs

Motoalliance manual

ProudDadOf5

ProudDadOf5

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2019
Winfield, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
LOL, understandable. Just trying to help out.
Let me know how to test it out and I’ll give it a shot! Will send pics. 😎

ProudDadOf5

ProudDadOf5

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2019
Winfield, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
under stress (heavy pull ) it should hold when not under power if spooled correct direction.
Oh yah, she holds & rope is tight as ever. I just pulled the wheeler from the back of the garage all the way to my truck in park. The front end was squatted so I know there was no slack or drag on the line at all. 😎

CMB

CMB

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Oh yah, she holds & rope is tight as ever. I just pulled the wheeler from the back of the garage all the way to my truck in park. The front end was squatted so I know there was no slack or drag on the line at all. 😎
Awesome.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!