P1000 Interesting fact...

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Learned something new today.
I was installing arched arms on my 2018, and I noticed the lower ball joints were missing the snap ring on both sides. Come to find out on FB, Honda got rid of this on the 2018's. See the attached pics. One shows snap ring, one doesn't.
Wonder why?
FB IMG 1515801510907
FB IMG 1515801482264
IMG 20180112 105645452

H

HondaTech

Interesting....
Are the balljpints the same part #?

Edit: They are as well as the A-arm. 2016-2018

Reactions: sharp
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Learned something new today.
I was installing arched arms on my 2018, and I noticed the lower ball joints were missing the snap ring on both sides. Come to find out on FB, Honda got rid of this on the 2018's. See the attached pics. One shows snap ring, one doesn't.
Wonder why?View attachment 61740 View attachment 61741 View attachment 61742

Does the part # on 3 of each year have the same part #. Purely guessing but suspect it is pressed in so tight the snap ring is moot.

Reactions: sharp and swsebek

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Interesting....
Are the balljpints the same part #?
I can't answer that beyond that I was told different part #. However, my ball joint has the groove for the snap ring, it's just not there. I did read someone claim they went from aluminum to steel for 2018 on the joint housing. Who knows...

H

HondaTech

I can't answer that beyond that I was told different part #. However, my ball joint has the groove for the snap ring, it's just not there. I did read someone claim they went from aluminum to steel for 2018 on the joint housing. Who knows...

Balljoints and A-arm are same for 2016 to 2018. They have been superseded once though. Could be a different manufacturer or maybe a design change for whatever reason. But the new A-arm supersedes the older one. Balljpints have been the same for all years, no superseded number for them.

Last edited:
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Don't really see a reason for them at all anyway.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Balljpints and A-aem are same for 2016 to 2018. They have been superseded once though. Could be a different manufacturer or maybe a design change for whatever reason. But the new A-arm supersedes the older one. Balljpints have been the same for all years, no superseded number for them.
I think the front lower A arm is different on the LE's, the Honda dealer / service dept. tried to sell /pass off LE's A arms as arched installed for $ 440.00, they were take offs. I looked at an LE with factory A arm's, they are arched, maybe an inch. I have spent a lot of money with the dealership that I bought Rooster from and they try to take advantage of me every time I walk in now. They are on my s*** list now. Yes they fixed my clutch issue quicker than most here. I ordered tires and wheels for my Honda from the Yamaha dealership at 5:45 PM Thursday and picked them up, next day Friday 5:30 PM. And the front rims were odd ball, 6+1 off set. My dealership's parts dept. is lazy. I talked to them about the same wheels and tires, HO Humm, they didn't have access for the wheels, just wanted to sell me what they had on the floor. Sorry about the rant!

Reactions: pct and sharp
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I think the front lower A arm is different on the LE's, the Honda dealer / service dept. tried to sell /pass off LE's A arms as arched installed for $ 440.00, they were take offs. I looked at an LE with factory A arm's, they are arched, maybe an inch. I have spent a lot of money with the dealership that I bought Rooster from and they try to take advantage of me every time I walk in now. They are on my s*** list now. Yes they fixed my clutch issue quicker than most here. I ordered tires and wheels for my Honda from the Yamaha dealership at 5:45 PM Thursday and picked them up, next day Friday 5:30 PM. And the front rims were odd ball, 6+1 off set. My dealership's parts dept. is lazy. I talked to them about the same wheels and tires, HO Humm, they didn't have access for the wheels, just wanted to sell me what they had on the floor. Sorry about the rant!

So Smitty. Tell us what you really think of "YOUR" dealer.

pct

pct

Lost in the hills
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2016
Letart WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wow that is a first for me never saw that before did you put new balljoints in when you put your a-arms on I hope it didn't do much damage

H

HondaTech

I'm pretty sure the LE A-arm just a red stock one. The diagrams show both versions so Honda doesn't have to draw the things twice.

If you look at a 3 seater base model diagram it's shows the A-arm guards in the picture. But the numbers that correspond with it aren't shown in the parts list below. In our dealer diagrams it just shows an red "X" over the part number that doesn't apply.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Wow that is a first for me never saw that before did you put new balljoints in when you put your a-arms on I hope it didn't do much damage
The snap rings are a *ich.

Reactions: pct and sharp
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'm pretty sure the LE A-arm just a red stock one. The diagrams show both versions so Honda doesn't have to draw the things twice.

If you look at a 3 seater base model diagram it's shows the A-arm guess in the picture. But the numbers that correspond with it aren't shown in the parts list below. In our dealer diagrams it just shows an red "X" over the part number that doesn't apply.
I think they are a little different than a base model, could be wrong. The service mgr. was showing me the difference. But if there the same, it wouldn't the first time he tried to pull the wool over my eyes.

Reactions: pct
H

HondaTech

I think they are a little different than a base model, could be wrong. The service mgr. was showing me the difference. But if there the same, it wouldn't the first time he tried to pull the wool over my eyes.

Honda wont tell you they'll fit other non-LR models because of the colot difference. When they released the LE models I don't remember any mention of them having different A-arms other than the color. I think he's probably full of it.

J

JTW

Honda wont tell you they'll fit other non-LR models because of the colot difference. When they released the LE models I don't remember any mention of them having different A-arms other than the color. I think he's probably full of it.
I think you’re exactly right..

Reactions: pct

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!