Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Anyone have an "X"? My phone is old and crapping out.
I'm trying to choose between the 8 and X.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I upgraded from a 6 to the X and I have been real happy with. The X is such a jump in technology that there is no comparison. I considered the 8 as well but I wanted a bigger screen without buying the plus model and the x offers that. The face tech works but I have issues wearing shades in the truck. Indoors wearing shades no issues probably something about the reflectiveness of the sunglasses.

Reactions: Remington
nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the x also. Upgraded from the 7 plus. I’m very happy with it. I agree with Khan. The technology upgrade was amazing. I will day my Face ID works almost flawlessly. With shades, without, with hat, you name it, it just works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Remington
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If they do the Apple Battery case for the X I’ll upgrade my 7. I’m wanting the bigger screen and to dump my iPad once and for all.

Reactions: swsebek
Hondoman

Hondoman

Fundamentals are the crutch for the talentless.
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Between the two I'd pick the x. A co-worker came on with an x today. That screen looks small to me, so I'd think the 8 would definitely be too small imo.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Do I have the option to NOT activate the facial ID? (slightly paranoid)

Reactions: JTW
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do I have the option to NOT activate the facial ID? (slightly paranoid)
Not sure but if you did you would have to type in the code every time. I am with you as that was one of my hold ups. I have a computer at work that has the facial Id and I guess I got use to it..

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
What phone are you upgrading from gator?

I just replaced my iPhone 5 with an 8 and so far am happy with it. But I wanted to keep my phone small so I can get it in my pocket even with an otter box. Wife got the 8 plus which is nice (when you have a purse to carry it in) but too big to survive my day to day.

And, just to get it off my chest, in the two days she's had her new expensive phone she has nearly dropped it 3 times. Case is in the mail!

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I just replaced my iPhone 5 with an 8 and so far am happy with it. But I wanted to keep my phone small so I can get it in my pocket even with an otter box. Wife got the 8 plus which is nice (when you have a purse to carry it in) but too big to survive my day to day.

And, just to get it off my chest, in the two days she's had her new expensive phone she has nearly dropped it 3 times. Case is in the mail!

They need to stop making them so pretty and make them more durable.

Like the old Nextel you could run over with a rock crusher and it just wouldn’t die and the battery only needed to be charged once every 18 months or so.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2

I have the IPhone 6. It no longer texts or checks email. It won't do "cellular data". I've been trying to get it fixed for 2 months.

The 8 and the x are both about the same size. I'm like you, the "plus" is just too big to be a "pocket" phone.

I have to wonder if they are made to be slippery. I had the Verizon guy put a case on this one before I left the store 2 years ago.

advertisement
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Sorry guys I'm a Note 8 guy !

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What's an iPhone?
I am rocking a blackberry still. I use a phone as a phone, text, email etc. not an app user. I pretty much just surf here on my ipad.
5601CC88 2770 4ED5 B206 0E1D9E42BEA6

Reactions: R-Lamm
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the IPhone 6. It no longer texts or checks email. It won't do "cellular data". I've been trying to get it fixed for 2 months.

The 8 and the x are both about the same size. I'm like you, the "plus" is just too big to be a "pocket" phone.

I have to wonder if they are made to be slippery. I had the Verizon guy put a case on this one before I left the store 2 years ago.
That is what I upgraded from, my 6 got to where It was hard to get to charge - you had to position the wire just right and if a breeze was just right it would stop charging. Can’t even explain the difference in how fast new phones are compared to the X. Also the wireless charging is one of my favorite functions.

Whether you go 8 or X you will be happy with the performance difference.

Reactions: Tflynn
J

JTW

I’m still running a 6.. I’ve noticed it’s starting to get a little finicky with the new updates.. I just don’t know about this facial recognition thing. Can you bypass the facial recognition and open it manually? What if you try to open your phone and it’s dark? I mean I hate they did away with my swipe to open. And I hate the double tap home to open sooo maybe I’ll check out this X if it’s that great

my99svt

my99svt

I identify as a lesbian
Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2016
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Ownership

1. Talon X

2. Talon R
I’m still running a 6.. I’ve noticed it’s starting to get a little finicky with the new updates.. I just don’t know about this facial recognition thing. Can you bypass the facial recognition and open it manually? What if you try to open your phone and it’s dark? I mean I hate they did away with my swipe to open. And I hate the double tap home to open sooo maybe I’ll check out this X if it’s that great

You don't need to do facials JTW! You can use the passcode as well. Although the facial recognition works in pitch black. Loving my iPhone X!

Reactions: JTW and R-Lamm
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Has IR for darkness, saw a friends last night, it’s the same size as my 7 but with more screen real estate. I don’t know that it’s worth the extra for the extra ¾” of vertical screen. I might just get an 8Plus(iPad nano)

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Does the 8 still have thumb print recognition?

Price doesn't matter. I'm just nervous about facial recognition. I probably just need to get over that.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!