Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Does the 8 still have thumb print recognition?

Price doesn't matter. I'm just nervous about facial recognition. I probably just need to get over that.
Yes the 8 has thumb print recognition. That's probably the coolest thing for me coming from a 5.

Reactions: Gator
Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I went from the 7 to the X. the camera on it alone is worth it for me to get the X over the 7 and 8. No issues with facial recognition either.

Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I think the X does great with pictures, and the portrait mode is awesome (can see how it works best in the last picture)

IMG 0102

IMG E0118

IMG E0112

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
So far I'm hearing good things about the X.
Anyone have a negative?

That's a beautiful little girl @Dragon21. Mine is about the same age.

Reactions: JTW
Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
So far I'm hearing good things about the X.
Anyone have a negative?

That's a beautiful little girl @Dragon21. Mine is about the same age.

Negative- its expensive as crap, they are not very tough when dropped, they dont have a 3.5mm jack on it (i know its been like that since the 7), swiping up instead of pushing the home button isnt AS convenient (to me), but thats still not that bad and you get use to it quick

Thanks, i got another one the same age too (in the pink jacket in the first picture). They are twins, just dont look alike

R-Lamm

R-Lamm

Lifetime Member
Sep 27, 2017
South Carolina
Ownership

1. 500
Negative- its expensive as crap, they are not very tough when dropped, they dont have a 3.5mm jack on it (i know its been like that since the 7), swiping up instead of pushing the home button isnt AS convenient (to me), but thats still not that bad and you get use to it quick

Thanks, i got another one the same age too (in the pink jacket in the first picture). They are twins, just dont look alike
You sure they are twins??? Two daddies? :) Beautiful family! My sis has twins and they look nothing alike neither!

Reactions: Ragnar406
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
They are all fragile (as well as expensive), and slippery as owl sh_t. I still think they could make it easier to hold onto.
I have used the 3.5mm jack a few times when my blue tooth was dead or not available, so it will be missed.

They are both adorable. It's got to be fun to tell people they are twins and watch them look from one to the other.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
My 8 came with an adapter so you can still use regular headphones or whatever else one might plug into a 3.5mm jack. Also came with headphones that have them right plug so you don't need the adapter

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
My 8 came with an adapter so you can still use regular headphones or whatever else one might plug into a 3.5mm jack. Also came with headphones that have them right plug so you don't need the adapter
OK. Score one for Apple.
Now tell me my facial profile will not be accessed by big brother.

Why does that bother me so much? It's not like I'm planning to take up a career in bank robbery. <or am I?>

Reactions: Ragnar406 and JTW
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
OK. Score one for Apple.
Now tell me my facial profile will not be accessed by big brother.

Why does that bother me so much? It's not like I'm planning to take up a career in bank robbery. <or am I?>
Yeah but you kinda hate to rule it out. Another thing to consider, if someone wants to access your phone against your will would you rather have them cut off your finger or your face to do it?

advertisement
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
A co-worker was awakened by his girlfriend. She was trying to touch his finger to his phone because she thought he was cheating on her and she wanted see his texts. (he is cheating on her)

You wouldn't have to touch the person with facial recognition. (I can't rob banks OR cheat, if I get that phone)

Reactions: JTW
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A co-worker was awakened by his girlfriend. She was trying to touch his finger to his phone because she thought he was cheating on her and she wanted see his texts. (he is cheating on her)

You wouldn't have to touch the person with facial recognition. (I can't rob banks OR cheat, if I get that phone)
Eyes have to be looking at the phone supposedly so you can't force someone to do it.

SickSecBeamer

SickSecBeamer

Oct 13, 2017
Jax,Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought it for my wife she has a 5s and loves it battery life is a huge improvement for her....and the camera we have a 1 year old and she filled the 64gb version with pics so I had to go up to the 256...x takes so Much better pics then the even the 7.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Like the fingerprint data, the facial data is encrypted on device and even Apple doesn’t have access to it. Apples not the first to do either of these types of Security. I do think they do it best and are more consumer protective than others.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Like the fingerprint data, the facial data is encrypted on device and even Apple doesn’t have access to it. Apples not the first to do either of these types of Security. I do think they do it best and are more consumer protective than others.

My 7 is protected by a 357 Mag. HA!

J

JTW

But you told me I did it best!!??

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Apple is also the one that the alphabet agency’s b**** about having a super hard time getting in to - in the even can

I think the X does great with pictures, and the portrait mode is awesome (can see how it works best in the last picture)

View attachment 59785
View attachment 59783
View attachment 59786
Yea my wife saw some of my pics on my x and had to have one too

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!