P1000 Is my frame out of alignment?

A

AZdonW

Sep 6, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
So I was doing my front end alignment (was 1" toed in from dealer), when I noticed that the tire/wheel protrudes about 3/4" more from the frame on the right side than the left. I know it could be the tires, but I measured from the wheel, and they were the same. Didn't think too much about it until I tried to install these upper control arm gussets from ebay: Upper control arm gussets and they wouldn't fit at all. On the driver side, the angle was greater than the part and on the passenger side, the angle was less than his part. Seems like the frame was just welded wrong from the factory. What do you think?
DSC00883

Right side:
DSC00884

Left side:
DSC00885

• Wow
Reactions: TxDoc and Jerryg
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Its normal,its not a jeep lol. U have aftermarket wheels. Do u have spacers? Might b one of the wheels. I wouldn't worry too much about this. If I was road racing yes, off roading no. I hate to see what mine is like with wheels, arms , spacers and shocks lol. As long as it passes the eye test, call it good! Your main concern is just getting that toe correct in front good for tire ware.

A

AZdonW

Sep 6, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Its normal,its not a jeep lol. U have aftermarket wheels. Do u have spacers? Might b one of the wheels. I wouldn't worry too much about this. If I was road racing yes, off roading no. I hate to see what mine is like with wheels, arms , spacers and shocks lol. As long as it passes the eye test, call it good! Your main concern is just getting that toe correct in front good for tire ware.
Yeah, I just installed those Rock a Billy's after a sharp limb took out one of the original tires on our 3rd outing. No offsets. I was really hoping I could install those gussets to head off at the pass the a-arm mount ripping I've seen here on this forum, but the angles were way out.

Reactions: Lady01 and ChadD
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Yeah, I just installed those Rock a Billy's after a sharp limb took out one of the original tires on our 3rd outing. No offsets. I was really hoping I could install those gussets to head off at the pass the a-arm mount ripping I've seen here on this forum, but the angles were way out.
Do u have aftermarket arms? If u want to have that gusset versatility, a set of satv arms is worth the investment. Then u can line the machine up to your harts content if you feel u still need to?

A

AZdonW

Sep 6, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Do u have aftermarket arms? If u want to have that gusset versatility, a set of satv arms is worth the investment. Then u can line the machine up to your harts content if you feel u still need to?
No aftermarket arms. I'm not sure how satv arms would allow me to reinforce the a-arm mount. Or did I misunderstand you.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
No aftermarket arms. I'm not sure how satv arms would allow me to reinforce the a-arm mount. Or did I misunderstand you.
It wont reinforce the mount. They give u more adjustment for tow end and especially for the saggy rears. That mount is pretty strong. Ive had my machine since 16’ been through some rough stuff and no issues. U only know of a few guys that have had to rebuild the mount and they use there machine much harder.

A

AZdonW

Sep 6, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
It wont reinforce the mount. They give u more adjustment for tow end and especially for the saggy rears. That mount is pretty strong. Ive had my machine since 16’ been through some rough stuff and no issues. U only know of a few guys that have had to rebuild the mount and they use there machine much harder.
Thanks, that's reassuring. I read one post where someone was just driving across their farm and must have dipped into a hole--barely even noticed it. And it ripped the upper A-arm mount. That just got me a little scared.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thanks, that's reassuring. I read one post where someone was just driving across their farm and must have dipped into a hole--barely even noticed it. And it ripped the upper A-arm mount. That just got me a little scared.
Yeah, he didn't post what kind of activity he had done with the machine prior tho

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The guy who tore his front upper arm hit a ditch that was hidden by grass. You gotta figure that if the front wheel hits ditch or obstacle so the impact is higher on the wheel, lets say worst case even or higher than the front wheel axle, you've got almost a ton of machine moving that is pulling that upper arm attach at a vector angle outward and to the rear. Somethings going to give . . . it's a shame that Honda didn't engineer it so the arm would fail before the frame.

That said, I'm a newbie here, haven't even driven my P1000 in combat yet. But I don't plan on hitting obstacles hard going fast.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The pictures you provided don't do much for figuring out an issue. Things to look at would be the lower a-arm as the are easy to bend and the upper a-arm mount as they can be torn off the frame

Reactions: Lady01
A

AZdonW

Sep 6, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The pictures you provided don't do much for figuring out an issue. Things to look at would be the lower a-arm as the are easy to bend and the upper a-arm mount as they can be torn off the frame
Yeah, I know. I just assumed the frame angle issue at the upper a-arms is related to the fact that the driver side wheel protrudes 3/4" more than the passenger side from the frame.
I'm saying that the angle between the two bolts side and the single bolt side of this gusset device is quite different than my machine. There should be no bending, as my machine is only 9 months old and has been driven only on tame forest service roads. I'll try to take some photos of those areas tomorrow. Thanks.
S l1600

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Check closely for signs of paint cracking - (I'm not sure what type of powder coat Honda uses, but on aircraft engine mounts that are powder coated, it's common to use a paint that is brittle enough to show stress bending early on, hopefully before failure.

As to hole frame hole alignment, I assume Honda robotically welds the frames in a fixturing jig so that things would be closely aligned - - that's just a wag (wild ___ guess).

I considered those gussets, but the winch mount (SE model) is using those two frame bolts and that changes the spacing. The seller warns that they will not fit when some bumpers or winch mounts are used.

A question for anyone who has installed these gusset brackets - does the slotted part just slide/fit over the upper control arm bolt head? Or is a longer bolt required? If it just fits over, I may fabricate my own brackets and weld them to the winch mount - that would be fairly simple.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Which angle are you talking about as a problem with those gussets? It'd be helpful if you could show them in place.

I cant see why they wouldnt bolt up. Those are pretty cool (altho a bit expensive) for guys that don't want to fab something up.

A

AZdonW

Sep 6, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Check closely for signs of paint cracking - (I'm not sure what type of powder coat Honda uses, but on aircraft engine mounts that are powder coated, it's common to use a paint that is brittle enough to show stress bending early on, hopefully before failure.

As to hole frame hole alignment, I assume Honda robotically welds the frames in a fixturing jig so that things would be closely aligned - - that's just a wag (wild ___ guess).

I considered those gussets, but the winch mount (SE model) is using those two frame bolts and that changes the spacing. The seller warns that they will not fit when some bumpers or winch mounts are used.

A question for anyone who has installed these gusset brackets - does the slotted part just slide/fit over the upper control arm bolt head? Or is a longer bolt required? If it just fits over, I may fabricate my own brackets and weld them to the winch mount - that would be fairly simple.
The bolt is long enough to loosen the nut an slip the bracket over the bolt...but mine wouldn't fit because the angles were off.

A

AZdonW

Sep 6, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Which angle are you talking about as a problem with those gussets? It'd be helpful if you could show them in place.

I cant see why they wouldnt bolt up. Those are pretty cool (altho a bit expensive) for guys that don't want to fab something up.
Unfortunately, I've sent them back for a refund. I'm talking about the angle between the piece of metal with the two holes and the piece of metal with the slotted hole. On the driver side, that angle was wider than his part, and on the passenger side, it was narrower than his part.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Was the misalignment excessive enough to keep the bolts from being started? E.g. could they have been threaded in and then cinched down a reasonable amount to see if things would sort of self align? Probably not, huh? In which case I'd be taking it to the dealer and getting their opinion while it still under warranty. If there's no indication of impact damage, then the frame should be straight.

It might be helpful to use a machinist's protractor to measure relevant angles:

61Qx7Sos VL AC SL1001

A

AZdonW

Sep 6, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Was the misalignment excessive enough to keep the bolts from being started? E.g. could they have been threaded in and then cinched down a reasonable amount to see if things would sort of self align? Probably not, huh? In which case I'd be taking it to the dealer and getting their opinion while it still under warranty. If there's no indication of impact damage, then the frame should be straight.

It might be helpful to use a machinist's protractor to measure relevant angles:

View attachment 284092
On the passenger side, I could barely get one screw started, and when I torqued down on the a-arm bolt, it bent the gusset bracket. The other side was too far off.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
On the passenger side, I could barely get one screw started, and when I torqued down on the a-arm bolt, it bent the gusset bracket. The other side was too far off.
Is there any evidence the frame has been bent? Look for cracks in paint etc.

A

AZdonW

Sep 6, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Here are some more photos of the front end.
DSC00886

DSC00887

DSC00890

DSC00890

DSC00891

Here are the problem areas:
DSC00888

DSC00889

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!