P500 Is there supposed to be a weld here??

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
2020 500. Just got it two weeks ago. Drivers side frame where the upper control arms bolts up looks like there is a weld missing?? The other side is welded all the way around. Drivers side is just barely welded on top of the tube leaving a huge open gap. How are y’alls??View attachment 232363
Is it bent also?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thanks. Dealer is sending pics to Honda. We’ll see. I can this being a long process. Have about three miles on it 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
I bet Honda issues a stop ride on your buggy? I wouldn't be surprised if they don't replace the frame?

BURNDOG

BURNDOG

Sep 4, 2020
Oregon
Ownership

1. 500
2020 500. Just got it two weeks ago. Drivers side frame where the upper control arms bolts up looks like there is a weld missing?? The other side is welded all the way around. Drivers side is just barely welded on top of the tube leaving a huge open gap. How are y’alls??View attachment 232363
Mines welded both sides. I don’t see why it wouldn’t be. That certainly don’t look structurally sound.
Good luck with the dealer and Honda.

G

gtistiffler

I bet Honda issues a stop ride on your buggy? I wouldn't be surprised if they don't replace the frame?

I really don’t want a new frame. I don’t trust anyone to get it all back together as it was from the factory. In the perfect world I’d get a new unit. But doubt that’ll happen. Sad to say but wish I had forked the extra money for Can Am Trail 800

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Make sure you check the other side really good with a flashlight. You may have something more major wrong. It could be a shadow or dirt line, but that looks cracked to me.

Inked3E782DDC B390 4221 80BD 3CF548014424 LI

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Dealer is coming to pick it up tomorrow. They are 2.5 hours away so good on them. Honda already said they want to swap the frame or send a welder. I don’t “want” either. We shall see.
I'd take a SKILLED welder l-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-n-g before I'd want a frame replacement. I just got my outfitted Talon back from the dealer and the craftsmanship is sadly lacking. :oops: I'd never trust anyone with a frame replacement, too many places for things to go wrong.

G

gtistiffler

I'd take a SKILLED welder l-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-n-g before I'd want a frame replacement. I just got my outfitted Talon back from the dealer and the craftsmanship is sadly lacking. :oops: I'd never trust anyone with a frame replacement, too many places for things to go wrong.

agree. Thing has 11 miles on it. I really want a new unit. We shall see. I’m in no hurry. I’ll climb the ladder as high as I can.

H

HondaTech

There are good techs out there just saying....
I've replaced multiple frames including
4 seat Talon
3 seat Pioneer LE
CRF250L
TRX500FA
Kawasaki Prarie 650

I've also helped on a couple Goldwings

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
There are good techs out there just saying....
I've replaced multiple frames including
4 seat Talon
3 seat Pioneer LE
CRF250L
TRX500FA
Kawasaki Prarie 650

I've also helped on a couple Goldwings

You aren't a part of the problem but there aren't many of you. I appreciate the knowledge you share with us here.

This is why I said what I did. I told the dealer that I'd do the snorkel since it's HondaBob's idea and I knew what needed to happen. They were trying to do the right thing but their tech has no idea what craftsmanship is. This is how it was delivered to me. he couldn't even copy the hole location from my wrecked Talon (stolen, wrecked, recovered, they're transferring the aftermarket to my new replacement).

I could have provided this photo but I thought I was doing the work.
I CMJfXgJ XL

This is what I got. When I did it, I carefully located the hole with a rasp bit in a electric drill because I didn't know exactly where the hole would end up, I cut it .010" at a time with constant trial fits. My fit was tight, the riser was almost a part of the fender, not flopping around in the breeze.
I sHZTx8W L

They couldn't even be bothered to notice the snorkel stood almost straight up, simply by spinning the curved riser 180*.
I k3vtmCB M

Done correctly. And why I'd have little faith in a frame replacement now.
I vVGqTf8 M

G

gtistiffler

Well after a week and a half they decided they want to.......give me the option of frame replacement or weld it. Told them I’m not happy with that and I want neither. Never should have left the factory this way. They made two mistakes, not welding it and QA not catching it and I will be the one taking the hit caused by their mistake. I’m not rolling over that easy. The saga continues.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!