Isolator with battery maintainer

TireTechGuy

TireTechGuy

Jul 29, 2021
New Brunswick Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just installed a dual battery setup with the true isolator kit. Now after a bit the blue light on isolator will turn off. But once I if my main battery into trickle charger/maintainer. The blue light comes on and stays on. Does that mean it's maintaining both batteries? Also if it is. Is that bad for the isolator to stay on all the time. Should I not use the maintainer on the primary battery to legnthen the lifespan of the isolator?

Barracuda

Barracuda

Lifetime Member
Oct 14, 2021
Washington state
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV

2. w/Turbo
I just installed a dual battery setup with the true isolator kit. Now after a bit the blue light on isolator will turn off. But once I if my main battery into trickle charger/maintainer. The blue light comes on and stays on. Does that mean it's maintaining both batteries? Also if it is. Is that bad for the isolator to stay on all the time. Should I not use the maintainer on the primary battery to legnthen the lifespan of the isolator?
I use a maintainer with my isolator as well - it makes sense to me that the light stays on because the isolator sees the primary (main?) battery first - it brings the primary up to 14 volts and then switches to the secondary and the isolator will allow the maintainer to keep both batteries at full strength when not in " use" (Engine off).
The light being on makes sense to me.

TireTechGuy

TireTechGuy

Jul 29, 2021
New Brunswick Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use a maintainer with my isolator as well - it makes sense to me that the light stays on because the isolator sees the primary (main?) battery first - it brings the primary up to 14 volts and then switches to the secondary and the isolator will allow the maintainer to keep both batteries at full strength when not in " use" (Engine off).
So do you think that will wear the isolator out faster being that it's always on allowing the secondary battery to be maintained also? It's supposed to close circuit to charge the second battery but is it supposed to stay closed for weeks on end until I use the machiene? Just don't want it to heat up or burn out just sitting on always with the charger lol. Maybe I'm overthinking it but I wasn't sure as it's an on/off device for when needed. Thanks for your info tho definitely helps me know I didnt mess up my install lol

Reactions: Biteme
TireTechGuy

TireTechGuy

Jul 29, 2021
New Brunswick Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Another question I have you may know. Is it normal for the primary battery brave to fluctuate when the aux battery is being worked. They both sit at 14.3 but when I hit the winch that is on the aux the primary will drop aswell and then they even out to around 13.3 until I stop winching then the primary jumps up and the aux shortly after. I've just never used a dual battery setup so I'm learning.

Reactions: Biteme
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
If its the True isolator, when the blue lights on the batteries are connected together. When the light is off they are separated.
If i remember correctly the switching threshold is approximately 12.5 volts.
The isolator should switch on a few seconds after the motor is started, then go off after a minute or so when you turn the machine off. So it is designed to cycle off and on.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Another question I have you may know. Is it normal for the primary battery brave to fluctuate when the aux battery is being worked. They both sit at 14.3 but when I hit the winch that is on the aux the primary will drop aswell and then they even out to around 13.3 until I stop winching then the primary jumps up and the aux shortly after. I've just never used a dual battery setup so I'm learning.

The entire point of using an isolator is to connect both batteries in parallel to increase amp-hour runtime while simultaneously protecting the primary (starting and DCT) if/when the risk of drawing it down is present.

When the blue light is ON, that means the charging source for the primary battery is above the cut in threshold of 13.4V. When this happens, the two batteries are connected in parallel. Any load on either battery is actually drawing from both, as a "bank", so you will see BOTH batteries "drop" (obvious if you have a dual voltmeter installed properly).

When the blue light goes OFF, that means the charging source for the primary battery has dropped below the cut out threshold of 12.9V. When this happens, the isolator disconnects the two batteries from one another. Any load on one of the batteries will draw from THAT battery only, not both.

The charging source means your alternator, your trickle charger or any other source that is charging the primary battery.

The cut in threshold for the UTV-SBI-18 is 13.4V, while the cut out threshold is 12.9V.

TireTechGuy

TireTechGuy

Jul 29, 2021
New Brunswick Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The entire point of using an isolator is to connect both batteries in parallel to increase amp-hour runtime while simultaneously protecting the primary (starting and DCT) if/when the risk of drawing it down is present.

When the blue light is ON, that means the charging source for the primary battery is above the cut in threshold of 13.4V. When this happens, the two batteries are connected in parallel. Any load on either battery is actually drawing from both, as a "bank", so you will see BOTH batteries "drop" (obvious if you have a dual voltmeter installed properly).

When the blue light goes OFF, that means the charging source for the primary battery has dropped below the cut out threshold of 12.9V. When this happens, the isolator disconnects the two batteries from one another. Any load on one of the batteries will draw from THAT battery only, not both.

The charging source means your alternator, your trickle charger or any other source that is charging the primary battery.

The cut in threshold for the UTV-SBI-18 is 13.4V, while the cut out threshold is 12.9V.
So when the trickle charger/maintainer is plugged in it is ok for the isolator to be on always as it's maintaining both batteries at the same time? When I plug the primary battery in to charge/maintain the blue light comes back on and stays on the whole time it's plugged in.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
So when the trickle charger/maintainer is plugged in it is ok for the isolator to be on always as it's maintaining both batteries at the same time? When I plug the primary battery in to charge/maintain the blue light comes back on and stays on the whole time it's plugged in.
Yup. That's what it's supposed to do. Charging source above 13.4V = blue light on = batteries in parallel.

There are two different schools of thought when it comes to WHICH battery you are connecting your charger to:
  • Some say put the trickle charger on the primary battery and let the isolator add the AUX battery in later, as this ensures you always have a full primary battery, especially if only charging for a short period of time.
  • Others say to put the trickle charger on your AUX battery and let the primary battery get added in later, as the AUX battery is likely the one most in need of BEING charged and the primary is likely always full (if the isolator did it's job), as you're constantly using it for all your accessories when the bike is not running (e.g., playing your radio for hours while enjoying a barley pop or three, etc.).
Honestly, unless you're running your AUX battery down to near nothing and then ONLY putting the charger on for a very SHORT period of time, I don't think it matters which way you go, as both will eventually get charged (e.g., overnight).

TireTechGuy

TireTechGuy

Jul 29, 2021
New Brunswick Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yup. That's what it's supposed to do. Charging source above 13.4V = blue light on = batteries in parallel.

There are two different schools of thought when it comes to WHICH battery you are connecting your charger to:
  • Some say put the trickle charger on the primary battery and let the isolator add the AUX battery in later, as this ensures you always have a full primary battery, especially if only charging for a short period of time.
  • Others say to put the trickle charger on your AUX battery and let the primary battery get added in later, as the AUX battery is likely the one most in need of BEING charged and the primary is likely always full (if the isolator did it's job), as you're constantly using it for all your accessories when the bike is not running (e.g., playing your radio for hours while enjoying a barley pop or three, etc.).
Honestly, unless you're running your AUX battery down to near nothing and then ONLY putting the charger on for a very SHORT period of time, I don't think it matters which way you go, as both will eventually get charged (e.g., overnight).
I have it on the primary. But when it's plugged in the isolator stays on 24/7 keeping both batteries full which is ok both batteries will always be full and maintained.. I'm just worried that the isolator always being on when trickle charger is hooked to primary is going to burn the isolator out as it's always connected until I unplug the trickle charger. I work away 3 weeks on 3 weeks off so when Im away for 3 weeks that primary is on charge/maintainer. Now the secondary is always on the charger and maintaineer aswell because the isolator is on detecting higher voltage in the primary. Only way to shut the isolator off is to unplug the primary from charging.. I hope the isolator doesn't burn out being on 24)7 charging both batteries threw the primary is all

Reactions: Smitty335
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have it on the primary. But when it's plugged in the isolator stays on 24/7 keeping both batteries full which is ok both batteries will always be full and maintained.. I'm just worried that the isolator always being on when trickle charger is hooked to primary is going to burn the isolator out as it's always connected until I unplug the trickle charger. I work away 3 weeks on 3 weeks off so when Im away for 3 weeks that primary is on charge/maintainer. Now the secondary is always on the charger and maintaineer aswell because the isolator is on detecting higher voltage in the primary. Only way to shut the isolator off is to unplug the primary from charging.. I hope the isolator doesn't burn out being on 24)7 charging both batteries threw the primary is all
Dont worry yourself sick over this.
mine has been on since 16’ doing the same thing for weeks on end. no issues. If it couldn't handle it, we all should have bought a different brand isolater but now! Lol

More importantly tho…
Id be more concerned about the trans in that Malibu you have towing the P1K5!
please tell us you have a truck and that was just temporary?

Last edited:
Reactions: Smitty335 and Scoop
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
No issues at all.

In fact, per DFNA: "True Amalgamated designs these (isolator) units to work with trickle type chargers."

EDIT: I just received a direct response from them on this: "Our isolator is set up and manufactured to run on a tender."

Last edited:
TireTechGuy

TireTechGuy

Jul 29, 2021
New Brunswick Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dont worry yourself sick over this.
mine has been on since 16’ doing the same thing for weeks on end. no issues. If it couldn't handle it, we all should have bought a different brand isolater but now! Lol

More importantly tho…
Id be more concerned about the trans in that Malibu you have towing the P1K5!
please tell us you have a truck and that was just temporary?
It's actually a 1.4 turbo Chevy Cruze lol. And no I don't have a truck yet. The trails are behind my house but occasionally I have to tow it threw town to go somewhere. I don't take that on the highway tho. I just run it in manual mode and I shift at higher rpm lol. You would be supprised how well it actually does lol but truck is next once both my and the wife's car are finally paid off. I had to get the pioneer first lol

• Haha
C

cattmann

Oct 26, 2018
canada
Ownership

1. 500
My isolator is doing the same while trickle charging.My concern is that my charger never goes into float mode.It seems to be in charging mode constantly.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
My isolator is doing the same while trickle charging.My concern is that my charger never goes into float mode.It seems to be in charging mode constantly.
The cut in threshold is 13.6V. If the voltage in the primary source is at or above 13.6V, the light will be on. Most trickle chargers maintain a float voltage between ~13.2V and ~13.8V. You are are just fine. As was posted a few posts back in this thread, the manufacturer indicated that the isolator is designed to work with trickle chargers. See post #11.

D

Deitzberg

Apr 10, 2022
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does anyone have experience with the ctek mus 4.3 polar tender? It has an option for reconditioning the battery and winter conditions. Worked great on my can am commander and outlanders. But they only had single batteries. I plan on running a dual battery setup in my pioneer and adding two dash mount connections. But it seems it may not be necessary.

Reactions: Buggyman
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
It will be just fine, @Deitzberg. My tenders do conditioning, desulfation, etc.

Many chargers will not charge if your battery is TOO low. But there are some designed to bring a "dead" battery back to life. If one of your batteries is in this state, I would charge it independent of the isolator until it is otherwise fully charged.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!