PSA - Lithium Battery MUST use a Lithium Charger/Isolator.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R

PSA....​

If you run a LITHIUM BATTERY, you MUST use a Lithium Isolator and battery charger.

Today alone, I have spoken to 2 people who installed a Lithium second battery and did not change their isolator to a lithium version.
So, if you have a Lithium battery, one or both, you must use a Lithium isolator/charger.

While it is always recommended both the primary and the second battery be exactly the same it is not 100% required.
HOWEVER. it is required that if you mix Lithium with a common, you are to use a Lithium Isolator/Charger.
If you don't, you will kill the Lithium battery by unknowingly running it dead.
The lithium will always be trying to charge the common battery until it dies.

Here are a few links to Lithium products.
Lithium/Standard charger - Amazon.com
Lithium Isolator - Search: 3 results found for "lithium"

Factory Battery Lithium Replacements:
Pioneer 1000 Main Battery Replacement on Amazon.com
Talon 1000 Main Battery Replacement on Amazon.com

Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Alternatively, If you have the TrueAM isolator with the VoltMeter kit, there is an alternate solution to change the isolator so it ONLY works with key-on. This would partially limit the Automatic function to work ONLY when the key is on.

Link--- TRUEAM Isolator Alternate KEY-ON ONLY wiring method!

Last edited:
TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When I replaced my two expensive Odyssey batteries, I emailed and called the companies that offered lithium batteries that would be suggested for my Pioneer 1000.

To a company, they said said lithium batteries do not like to be run down and charged up like a deep cycle battery can be used for. And, the warranty would not be extended/covered for such an application like winching.

I also contacted Warn, Superwinch and Ramsey. Three of the longest manufacturers and most dependable winches out there. All three responded that a lithium battery was not recommended for winching use and Warn, recommended additional protective components to protect the charging system.

I finally settled on an XS Power Battery Model
PSX14 @ $119.99 each bought from Summit Racing as the shipped overnight by FedEx free shipping. This brand was recommended by high end installers of audio/video and accessories like lights, winches. They all install on ATVs, UTVs, cars, boats, luxury buses, planes, etc.

But, main point is...
Make sure the lithium ion battery manufacturer, if you go with that option as they are very expensive, that you have, in writing, a legal document that verifies that it is guaranteed with the application you intend to use it for, i.e. winches, lighting, high drain accessories.

I had one Odyssey fail 9 days out of warranty and the other 21 days out of warranty. Both were registered and confirmed when I bought and installed them, but Odyssey gave me zero consideration. They said, just buy two new batteries. At around $250 each... I said no thanks.

This electronic charger, with a five year warranty, will detect and charge lithium ion, AGM, etc. batteries and has the ability to trickle to fast charge. You can use alligator clips and hard wire with permanent plugs. It will also run a desulfonate cycle, if you need and chose that.

***On Edit... I'm definitely not telling anyone what to spend their money on. Lithium may very well be choice to come, one day. They definitely save weight. I would definitely pay $300+ each if they had high to very high capacities and the ability to be deeply discharged with the ability to recover and not have their longevity compromised. If someone finds a brand and model for uses with lights, sound systems, winches, etc., I would definitely be interested and appreciative of their testing and results.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!