P500 "It's just a 500."

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
Sorry to get so wordy...

So, for a while now I have been noticing a bit more passenger tire rub than usual, but me being me I ignored it until I couldn't. A few weeks ago I apparently finished tearing the tube at the upper rear mount on my "test & tune day" for the Locker & EZ-steer.
Then I had to make serious time consuming repairs, a weeks worth.
It involved a total tear down of the front end to clean the area, remove the arms, the diff (I have a thread about the axles taking me hours to remove (Cir-clip)) and the rack & pinion, then bend & move things back into place and align the mount tabs, then weld the front 4 upper tabs properly...and then make gussets for both sides.

Then I only had to reassemble and I found the A-Arm bushing design to be horrible and unacceptable. I know JWB had pointed this out before, but I thought I could just back off on the nuts and be fine, I was wrong. I swear those things tightened themselves up at some point.
I could not just put that back together like it was. BAD Honda engineers..BAD!
That design is the reason people that ride hard are damaging those suspension mounts, the design causes work hardening and metal fatigue at that weak point. Those teeth turn the bushings into a fixed torsion bar spring.

Seriously, if you do no other mods remove your arms and grind those teeth off the ends of the bushings and insert washers in their place and you will have a different machine. Those stubby little arms will move a lot faster and farther, and for the buggies with the "Double Air shock" mod it makes a noticeable improvement to the capabilities of this little rig.
It has more "Usable" range of motion than a lot of over-sprung RZR's or Teryx that use springs as a lift kit for more height. When you watch videos of those guys rock crawling you rarely see a wheel go UP very far do you? Like my autoshop teacher in High School always said, it's better to use all of 6 than a half of 8!

Anyway, I guess that's not even the point I was getting too. I wanted to say this machine rocks now. With the air shocks, the free moving arms and that LOCKER this thing is a beast, and the power steering is sweet! It lets me smoke a cigar while looking good!

I went to a state riding area this weekend with a some 1000XP's a new General, and a few other $$ rigs. A few of the buggies were new and/or had new pilots so we took some medium trails to acclimate the new guys, and that got kinda boring so we moved onto the black and after one of those a few of the bikes went home due to not having tree kickers (but nice stereos apparently?) and those trails were steep, rutted and not wide, in reality they are kinda dangerous for a novice. So I cant blame them, but we did have a bet on who would be upside down first. But them leaving meant we were free to roam onto more black trails.

The P5 owned those black trails on this day! Seriously ,I have been where I shouldn't a few times, and to be honest have had to sit a few of them out, I am no rockstar trail master but I know the limits of my rig.

But, this time was special, I was matching and sometimes beating RZR's to the top of technical climbs consistently. A short wheelbase can have it's advantages sometimes. I had the front end off the ground a few times when coming over the peak, and learned that in a serious off camber hillside turn you can now drive on two wheels...in this case it was the left two. I was at a point where I was either going to fall over, or punch it while on two wheels and roll onto flatter ground and that thing actually did it. No way I would have tried that with no locker and been successful, it would have only been one wheel drive.

Now, I'll admit that with this set-up on a 500 I do have more money invested in it than I wanted to have. I got this machine so I could go watch others fail and party a bit at down on the farm so to speak, but after owning this one for a few years now, and looking at the cost of ownership of the higher HP rigs and what it takes to keep them going I think I am doing fine with my investment in tires & wheels, air shocks, locker and power steering. The other bits are nice (Winch, lights etc..), but these things make it truly capable.

I had another one of those "What the hell is that thing" conversations with guys in a Teryx , love how those conversations go, I also love the look on their collective faces when I say "It's just a 500".

See you guys out there!
Alex

Vaden01

Vaden01

Jul 4, 2018
Callahan, FL.
Ownership

1. 500
Sorry to get so wordy...

So, for a while now I have been noticing a bit more passenger tire rub than usual, but me being me I ignored it until I couldn't. A few weeks ago I apparently finished tearing the tube at the upper rear mount on my "test & tune day" for the Locker & EZ-steer.
It involved a total tear down of the front end to clean the area, remove the arms, the diff (I have a thread about the axles taking me hours to remove (Cir-clip)) and the rack & pinion, then bend & move things back into place and align the mount tabs, then weld the front 4 upper tabs properly...and then make gussets for both sides.

Then I only had to reassemble and I found the A-Arm bushing design to be horrible and unacceptable. I know JWB had pointed this out before, but I thought I could just back off on the nuts and be fine, I was wrong. I swear those things tightened themselves up at some point.
That design is the reason people that ride hard are damaging those suspension mounts, the design causes work hardening and metal fatigue at that weak point. Those teeth turn the bushings into a fixed torsion bar spring.

Seriously, if you do no other mods remove your arms and grind those teeth off the ends of the bushings and insert washers in their place and you will have a different machine. Those stubby little arms will move a lot faster and farther, and for the buggies with the "Double Air shock" mod it makes a noticeable improvement to the capabilities of this little rig.
It has more "Usable" range of motion than a lot of over-sprung RZR's or Teryx that use springs as a lift kit for more height. When you watch videos of those guys rock crawling you rarely see a wheel go UP very far do you? Like my autoshop teacher in High School always said, it's better to use all of 6 than a half of 8!

Anyway, I guess that's not even the point I was getting too. I wanted to say this machine rocks now. With the air shocks, the free moving arms and that LOCKER this thing is a beast, and the power steering is sweet! It lets me smoke a cigar while looking good!

I went to a state riding area this weekend with a some 1000XP's a new General, and a few other $$ rigs. A few of the buggies were new and/or had new pilots so we took some medium trails to acclimate the new guys, and that got kinda boring so we moved onto the black and after one of those a few of the bikes went home due to not having tree kickers (but nice stereos apparently?) and those trails were steep, rutted and not wide, in reality they are kinda dangerous for a novice. So I cant blame them, but we did have a bet on who would be upside down first. But them leaving meant we were free to roam onto more black trails.

The P5 owned those black trails on this day! Seriously ,I have been where I shouldn't a few times, and to be honest have had to sit a few of them out, I am no rockstar trail master but I know the limits of my rig.

But, this time was special, I was matching and sometimes beating RZR's to the top of technical climbs consistently. A short wheelbase can have it's advantages sometimes. I had the front end off the ground a few times when coming over the peak, and learned that in a serious off camber hillside turn you can now drive on two wheels...in this case it was the left two. I was at a point where I was either going to fall over, or punch it while on two wheels and roll onto flatter ground and that thing actually did it. No way I would have tried that with no locker and been successful, it would have only been one wheel drive.

Now, I'll admit that with this set-up on a 500 I do have more money invested in it than I wanted to have. I got this machine so I could go watch others fail and party a bit at down on the farm so to speak, but after owning this one for a few years now, and looking at the cost of ownership of the higher HP rigs and what it takes to keep them going I think I am doing fine with my investment in tires & wheels, air shocks, locker and power steering. The other bits are nice (Winch, lights etc..), but these things make it truly capable.

I had another one of those "What the hell is that thing" conversations with guys in a Teryx , love how those conversations go, I also love the look on their collective faces when I say "It's just a 500".

See you guys out there!
Alex
Front and rear upper?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Guess because I've maninly owned Honda's, I've never thought about the bushings. Same setup they had for many years where the bushings twist and the suspension moves. That's why Honda specs a distance from eyelet to eyelet BEFORE you tighten down the bolts.

So...could you explain how this work hardens the mounts, and why this is bad ( I thought it made the metal stronger )? This is a legitimate question, not doubting what you're saying ...

I can certainly see how it would free up the suspension.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Sorry to get so wordy...

See you guys out there!
Alex

I love it! These machines are always looked at funny and under estimated until they get their ass kicked by it, then they want to know what it is.

Reactions: JWB and Chooglin
pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
So...could you explain how this work hardens the mounts, and why this is bad ( I thought it made the metal stronger )? This is a legitimate question, not doubting what you're saying ...

I may have used the term too casually. It may be a cyclic fatigue due to constant strain and just tearing right behind the weld, it could be getting brittle near the weld because that area is inherently 1/2 hard already. Essentially I was thinking that it's like a spoon handle. If you take a spoon and bend the handle slightly back-n-forth it will fail.
Metal failure on these mounts is not uncommon in the side-X industry, a lot of other brands have aftermarket gusset kits for this same area. Sorry if I used the term incorrectly, I am no engineer, but I have ridden on a train once... :)

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Sorry to get so wordy...

See you guys out there!
Alex
YES!!! I had some guys on quads chasing me down a trail at HM- it was getting near dark, and I was doin the Gran-Tourismo thing. I eventually found a good spot to let them go by, and then I chased them. I couldn't stay with them, but they didn't get that far ahead either. Turns out they were staying at the same resort (Twin Hollows). When we parked at our cabin, this guy comes walking up and says "what the hell is that thing?" "you were flyin"! So I tell him it's Honda Pioneer... "is that a 1000?" No, this is the 500. Blank stare- thinks I'm fulla sh*t. Ya, on tight trails with short straights, the P-500 really can run with the other machines! And in the woods, our machines, particularly with tires, air susp, and locker, will probably shame any other SxS. :) And then there's the open stretches..:(

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I may have used the term too casually. It may be a cyclic fatigue due to constant strain and just tearing right behind the weld, it could be getting brittle near the weld because that area is inherently 1/2 hard already. Essentially I was thinking that it's like a spoon handle. If you take a spoon and bend the handle slightly back-n-forth it will fail.
Metal failure on these mounts is not uncommon in the side-X industry, a lot of other brands have aftermarket gusset kits for this same area. Sorry if I used the term incorrectly, I am no engineer, but I have ridden on a train once... :)
Ok...yeah, that makes sense. Only so many times it can deflect a bit before it cracks and breaks.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!