Status
Not open for further replies.
Redmoon

Redmoon

Feb 21, 2019
Prescott Az.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Appreciate all the input. Just hobbled out (recovering from total hip replacement) to the other garage to gaze upon my P1000. I started it, making sure the fuel pumps were primed...it started but not convincingly. Left it idle for a bit. Turned it off and restarted and it popped right off like a fuel injected machine should do. Half doors didn't heal themselves unfortunately. Looking from one side of the machine to the other one can see an easy inch plus of of daylight around the lower hard doors. WTF? Serious question, are they all like that? Does anyone have the full hard doors by Honda. If so do they seal all the way around or do they also have inch gap fitment? I am leery of the offer made by the dealer...I mean they are a dealer. Money is their primary directive. So I will wait to hear tomorrow. Then crap gets serious. Thank you for your collective knowledge.

!000-5 LE doors are exactly like yours. Gaps big enough to throw a cat through. PSA no cats were injured during testing! I went on line and found automotive 1/2" "D" shaped adhesive backed rubber gasket, Amazon. Went all the way around the edge of the door. Sealed 75% of the gap. 5/8" or 3/4" might be better. Be sure to wipe the door edge down with something to prep for the adhesive so it will stick better. I used denatured alcohol been on since June and still holding good. They offer 2 grades of adhesive get the best grade.
There is a guy in Utah that makes door seals out of garage door bottom seals that will be my next step if what I have fails.
Check out RB3.com Their door bushings take all of the up and down play out of the doors and will help the seals to stay in place.
Its a bit disappointing to buy a new Honda and have to go to Walmart to finish the build.

S

Savoy

Sep 8, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Little late I fear for second guessing buying a S×S rather than a more utilitarian machine. Maybe next time. Thanks for your thoughts. Appreciated.

Reactions: 70Bones
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
!000-5 LE doors are exactly like yours. Gaps big enough to throw a cat through. PSA no cats were injured during testing! .
LOL...being the sarcastic ass I am, I was about to ask you if you had thrown a cat through them?

Reactions: Mudwing and JTW
J

JTW

Bulls***! We have a shrine with your picture in it.
98CA5323 F538 4E88 B70D 87ECC316B77E

Reactions: Mudwing and TripleB
S

Savoy

Sep 8, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I am still waiting for Honda shop sales manager to get back to me. If I don't get beat up badly I will likely trade for the Defender. But that decision is fluid at this time depending upon cost difference and time lines. I will not be distressed if I end up keeping the Pioneer despite the issues which initiated this thread. If that were to happen I would then try to remedy the shortcomings of the Honda cab system perhaps upgrading to the spendy solid doors offered by Honda. Again resolution depends on factors that are currently unknown to me. Worse case scenario I plow with the pioneer as it outfitted and see if I can tolerate the poorly fitting doors, iffy starting and puny heater. If it turns out that I can, without profuse profanity, all is good. If not down the road the pioneer will go. And a rather costly lesson will be learned.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am still waiting for Honda shop sales manager to get back to me. If I don't get beat up badly I will likely trade for the Defender. But that decision is fluid at this time depending upon cost difference and time lines. I will not be distressed if I end up keeping the Pioneer despite the issues which initiated this thread. If that were to happen I would then try to remedy the shortcomings of the Honda cab system perhaps upgrading to the spendy solid doors offered by Honda. Again resolution depends on factors that are currently unknown to me. Worse case scenario I plow with the pioneer as it outfitted and see if I can tolerate the poorly fitting doors, iffy starting and puny heater. If it turns out that I can, without profuse profanity, all is good. If not down the road the pioneer will go. And a rather costly lesson will be learned.
You’re going to pay more money for the Defender setup. Just saying

S

Savoy

Sep 8, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I expect so. All depends on cost-benefit equation. Sometimes you just swallow hard, write a check and move on. Question is how large the check has to be to complete the transaction.

Last edited:
J

JTW

Why not just have them take back the soft cab and get the aftermarket one that has been mentioned? As far as the heater goes... I suspect it will heat nicely once you start working it pushing snow.

Reactions: Mudwing and Russ989
S

Savoy

Sep 8, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-3
And that ultimately may be what happens. I am not specifically clear on recommended applications for the cab which can be accessed through the dealership.

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Why not just have them take back the soft cab and get the aftermarket one that has been mentioned? As far as the heater goes... I suspect it will heat nicely once you start working it pushing snow.
Bingo, someone get this Man a beer! ;)

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I expect so. All depends on cost-benefit equation. Sometimes you just swallow hard, write a check on move on. Question is how large the check has to be to complete the transaction.
There is no benefit to a less reliable machine, not trying to be a dick but I thought the defenders were awesome until my uncle who has had several Can-Ams said he was going to Honda because they hold up better out where he lives.

S

sybjer

Jul 10, 2019
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok, update. Talked with Honda dealer this afternoon. And he again stated that they will stand behind whatever I ultimately decide to do. Just an interesting aside, the honda shop uses a Can Am defender as their plow unit for clearing the property. Not sure what that says. Again, if I could get the cab to seal, even if it took buying the complete hard door system I would keep the P1000 and get on with life. I have not heard from anyone on the forum who has the complete doors as of yet. I hate to spend the $2700 plus installation fees for another half assed door. Yes, I have the second generation soft doors. And they don't fit for crap. The Honda sales manager also asked if I want to continue with the Moose quick detach plow system or go to something else if I change machines. Moose system is not as heavy duty as the Can Am plow I had on the Outlander. Just something else to throw in the mix. The CanAm won't land until January. In the mean time I guarentee there will be snow on the concrete that has to be moved. Life doesn't have to be this complicated. Thanks for the opinions.

I have the hard doors on my P1000-5 as I wanted it to be as warm as possible as I intend to use all winter. With the hard/mid panel, hard doors, heater, glass windshield/wiper, its pretty comfortable in 20-40 degrees. Like my dealer said, its not automotive like sealed, and there are some small areas, but honestly the shifter openings let in more cool air, and it gets pretty nice in the cab with the engine heat +heater. I'd recommend it if you don't mind spending the money, as their cost is tough to swallow. But makes it useful year around, as I can't wait to cruise around town in the snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!