P500 Just ordered- Pioneer 520 - Need recommendations

S

SteveBentley

Jan 10, 2021
Ontario
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hi folks, I've just joined the forum and I'm excited to be here. Looks like plenty of valuable information and a great community.

Just to set the expectation when I ask a naive question - I'm not a particularly handy person and am very far from being mechanically inclined. My clients are happy that I'm an investment advisor and not a mechanic.

I just ordered a new Pioneer 520 and it should be here by early February. I look forward to using it for ice fishing and booting around the hunt camp.

I asked the representative I was dealing with about a recommendation for a winch to be ordered and installed prior to pickup. He sent a quote for one but it seems expensive. All the quote says is "Winch Kit (Honda 2500LB by Warn)" for $839.40 and another $244 for installation plus tax. My question is really about pricing. I also asked about a 3500# winch kit as bigger seems better if you're stuck, but he advised against it. Can anyone let me know if this is reasonable pricing wise or if I should be looking at something else?

From Ontario by the way.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hi folks, I've just joined the forum and I'm excited to be here. Looks like plenty of valuable information and a great community.

Just to set the expectation when I ask a naive question - I'm not a particularly handy person and am very far from being mechanically inclined. My clients are happy that I'm an investment advisor and not a mechanic.

I just ordered a new Pioneer 520 and it should be here by early February. I look forward to using it for ice fishing and booting around the hunt camp.

I asked the representative I was dealing with about a recommendation for a winch to be ordered and installed prior to pickup. He sent a quote for one but it seems expensive. All the quote says is "Winch Kit (Honda 2500LB by Warn)" for $839.40 and another $244 for installation plus tax. My question is really about pricing. I also asked about a 3500# winch kit as bigger seems better if you're stuck, but he advised against it. Can anyone let me know if this is reasonable pricing wise or if I should be looking at something else?

From Ontario by the way.
First WELCOME from NW Arkansas! That's probably not a bad price in Canadian currency and since your not mechanically inclined, bigger is better though!

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X

From Ontario by the way.
They are putting it in you ! Well , wait , did he offer kisses and sex ? Otherwise the price id TOO HIGH . 2500 lb is plenty for a p5 .

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome to the forum and congrats. I know things cost more up there but I agree you're being raped! $1100 for a 2500lb winch is ridiculous. I paid $1k for a full KFI plow system with 3500lb winch and mount, plow bracket, push tubes and 66" blade.
Just order a KFI winch mount and then the winch of your choice. Preferably a 3500lb, there's some formula out there with the weight and blah blah, 35 is the number for the 500. Hooking it up isn't sh** either, we'll walk you through it. 👍

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Welcome from Georgia. 2500 may be good for an atv, but a 3500 lb winch is a better choice for a P520. Prices do seem high, check aftermarket options for comparison. Order this sub harness to provide a easy power source for the winch key-on relay.

Last edited:
Peter_72

Peter_72

Supporting Member
May 31, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome from Louisiana! I currently have a 3500 lb winch and it’s never failed but I’ve had it straining enough to make me worry! I will eventually go to a 4500 or 5000.

My KFI mount was $50.00

Badlands 3500 lb winch from Harbor Freight $150

I would look for an independent ATV shop and get a quote on the install

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
OP, I am mechanically declined as well. But the folks here are amazing. They will help you though anything, without judgement.

Me; I have a 4500 KFI winch. So far I've moved more trees than buggies with it . . .

Raghorn

Raghorn

Aug 26, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome from Idaho. That does seem too expensive to me.

I am no fabricator or hardcore mechanic. Usually know enough to get me into trouble.

I have found a ton of resources on here and on YouTube on things like this. I think you could likely do this job - pretty straight forward once you see how it is done.

I would imagine you could buy the parts for about $400 USD or less, if that helps.

Also, I also have a 3500 lb winch, but haven't had to use it yet. 😆

Good luck!

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Welcome from Louisiana! I currently have a 3500 lb winch and it’s never failed but I’ve had it straining enough to make me worry! I will eventually go to a 4500 or 5000.

My KFI mount was $50.00

Badlands 3500 lb winch from Harbor Freight $150

I would look for an independent ATV shop and get a quote on the install
Thanks for adding the independent ATV shop, my thoughts also.

Or find an atv or SxS group nearby, make friends, bring beer and get the job done @SteveBentley I also have a Harbor Freight 3500 with no issues. For the price you were quoted is more than the cost of my winch and Strongmade bumper which also serves as the winch mount. Plus the eyeballs.👍

A660D59E 7833 4993 BE0E D58B735F637E

Last edited:
Morpheus

Morpheus

Supporting Member
May 6, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
I went with a 2500lb. It has served me well however I am fairly new to trail riding and use mine mostly for plowing, hunting, fishing and firewood. If I were to do it over again knowing what I know now I would surely go with a 3000-3500lb. That price quote is way too high. Welcome from MN and Hope to see updates and your thoughts on the P520.

M

MidTN

Apr 12, 2020
Middle Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
I purchased a Champion Power Sports 3,000lb winch on sale for $72, KFI mounting plate for $50, Champion wireless remote kit for $55, and the Honda OEM accessory wiring pigtail for $15. I am in no way good with anything electrical but it was not a difficult install to accomplish. In fact I even shocked myself at how professional it came out.

Three tips: 1. Absolutely get the Honda pigtail as it will allow you add other future accessories in a plug and play fashion. 2. Because the battery box is located toward the back of the vehicle you will have a long run for the battery cables to the winch. I had to switch around the solenoid cables and battery cables, you'll have to take into account how that changes the colored wiring scheme of your posts and wires. 3. The battery cover does not allow you a lot of room to route the battery cables out of there, it's just a pain in the but to be aware of.

Bottom line is if I could do it you can easily do this too. I'm sure it took me longer than the average person on here but all I care about is the final result. You can save yourself a bunch of money and have the satisfaction of having done it. I learned everything I needed to learn to do this on here and on YouTube. Good luck!

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Any downside to over-winching a P5/20? A 5,000lb isn't much more than the 4500, which isn't much more than the 3500. Might as well go big, right?

Specifically looking at the Viper Elite Widespool that the club store sells.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Any downside to over-winching a P5/20? A 5,000lb isn't much more than the 4500, which isn't much more than the 3500. Might as well go big, right?

Specifically looking at the Viper Elite Widespool that the club store sells.
Just consider the weakest point of the winch mounting method and up the power wire guage for the max amps. Another point to consider is that the layers of cable around the spool also dictate the actual pull. Sometimes they put that in the owners manual. If the larger winches provide longer cable length, thats good. Had a Warn 8000 on my FJ40 with 150 feet of cable.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hi and welcome from the once great state of Colorado. :cool:

Having the winch installed by the dealer was one of the few things I had them do before I picked it up. It's not that complicated BUT I didn't want to eff with it. Yep, it cost me a s***-tonne of money but worth it to me. And I'm a tool kinda guy.

Winch capacity - if a lot's good, more's better and too much is just right - :cool: --- get the bigger winch.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!