Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
My k&n intake is supposed to arrive today. While considering buying it the question I asked everyone on Hondasxs.com that I knew had one was, "does it help? Is there a noticeable power gain?" Everyone here was helpful as always (thank you!) and most said they thought it helped a little. I am a numbers guy and I want data I can analyze to gauge power gains, so my plan is to time ten 0-40mph runs with my stock CLEAN intake and determine an average time. Then I will install the k&n and do the same. Granted my timing method will not be spot on accurate (stopwatch on my phone) but I think taking ten runs and averaging them will give a good representation. I will post all times and my conclusion in this thread so if this is something you've considered getting but just aren't sure, stay tuned!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Interested in your findings as I am running a K&N too..

Lynn

Lynn

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Yakima,WA
Great . I did that when I started my supercharger project. I think I saw a 8% increase in acceleration with just the K&N filter. Not sure memory fails sometimes. Looking forward to what results you com up with.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Wow 8% is pretty good I think. Now I'm wishing I had baseline numbers as well (stock tires, stock exhaust) but oh well. do you guys have the filter cover too?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I didn't know you had one. What was your impression of it?
Seemed like a faster throttle response time. But really I cant say much for overall. Need a muffler to benefit more.

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
My k&n intake is supposed to arrive today. While considering buying it the question I asked everyone on Hondasxs.com that I knew had one was, "does it help? Is there a noticeable power gain?" Everyone here was helpful as always (thank you!) and most said they thought it helped a little. I am a numbers guy and I want data I can analyze to gauge power gains, so my plan is to time ten 0-40mph runs with my stock CLEAN intake and determine an average time. Then I will install the k&n and do the same. Granted my timing method will not be spot on accurate (stopwatch on my phone) but I think taking ten runs and averaging them will give a good representation. I will post all times and my conclusion in this thread so if this is something you've considered getting but just aren't sure, stay tuned!
I hope you complete this before the Snow starts to drop up here because that is when i plan to start all my big projects and i plan to throw a K&N Filter in to that mix too!

wyo700

wyo700

Lifetime Member
Sep 26, 2013
I noticed a slight difference in throttle response and I did notice more of a throaty sound coming from the intake. I think you will notice difference.

C

classichonda

Jul 12, 2015
A word of caution on the K&N filters. They stop in the neighnorhood of 97% of dust vs. "paper" style filters that stop in excess of 99% of dust. If you're riding in dusty conditions that can be the difference between a healthy motor and a major repair bill.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
A word of caution on the K&N filters. They stop in the neighnorhood of 97% of dust vs. "paper" style filters that stop in excess of 99% of dust. If you're riding in dusty conditions that can be the difference between a healthy motor and a major repair bill.
Yes I have read all about this. All the comparisons I've seen are looking at k&n vs. paper filters. I haven't seen one compared to a "wet" foam filter like our Hondas have. Just to be safe I am going to be running filter skins too. I'm not too worried, I've run k&n's in almost everything and never a problem.

advertisement
wyo700

wyo700

Lifetime Member
Sep 26, 2013
Yes I have read all about this. All the comparisons I've seen are looking at k&n vs. paper filters. I haven't seen one compared to a "wet" foam filter like our Hondas have. Just to be safe I am going to be running filter skins too. I'm not too worried, I've run k&n's in almost everything and never a problem.
Same here. I have a k&n in everything I own and have never once had an issue. With all the atvs I have owned and now my pioneer I have always ran with the outer wrap pre filter.

Reactions: joeymt33
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Ok the results are in! First some stats on my machine and other things of note-

2014 P2
26" tires at 6 psi
Yoshimura exhaust already installed
All runs in 2wd
Temp. during test 89*F
Elevation 100ft

My average time from 0mph (at idle) to 40mph (full throttle) with stock intake was 12.7 seconds. Time averaged from 9 runs.

Average time with k&n was 11.5 seconds. Time averaged from 5 runs.

So with the new intake I'm getting to 40mph a full 1.2 seconds faster on average! Money well spent!

wyo700

wyo700

Lifetime Member
Sep 26, 2013
Wow that is a huge improvement would have never thought that. I still have my yosh exhaust I wish it wasn't so damn loud or I'd put it back on.

bagotaco

bagotaco

Apr 16, 2015
Nice improvement. K&N filter is now going on my to get list.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Wow that is a huge improvement would have never thought that. I still have my yosh exhaust I wish it wasn't so damn loud or I'd put it back on.
Yes I was surprised too. Ill put it this way, the reason I only did 5 runs with k&n instead of 9-10 was because my times were fairly consistent and I was tearing up my road too bad! Way more wheel spin on launch. I have read the hmf swamp series exhaust is pretty quiet, maybe something to consider.

Reactions: Simpleman
bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Ok the results are in! First some stats on my machine and other things of note-

2014 P2
26" tires at 6 psi
Yoshimura exhaust already installed
All runs in 2wd
Temp. during test 89*F
Elevation 100ft

My average time from 0mph (at idle) to 40mph (full throttle) with stock intake was 12.7 seconds. Time averaged from 9 runs.

Average time with k&n was 11.5 seconds. Time averaged from 5 runs.

So with the new intake I'm getting to 40mph a full 1.2 seconds faster on average! Money well spent!View attachment 5705
Great info!! Thank You

TimmyBoy84

TimmyBoy84

Aug 5, 2015
Southern California
I put on the K&N and the Yoshi pipe before heading out to Pismo Beach and the sand dunes and I noticed a good amount of low end, off the line and better hill climbing power than stock and that was with no paddles. I'm hoping the Dobeck system makes even more of a difference with all 3 together. I kept up with my buddy who has a built rhino until we hit the whoops and thats where he left me and my stock suspension in the dust :(.

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
Shm come on!!!!!!!!!! Alost a second and a half off of a 40 time tflynn i really gotta call that unless the stock filter was pluged solid or ur getting paid by k&n there is no way in hell i can yes yes you will def see a better throttle response no doubt there and with your exhaust yes it will help breath but no way will a filter alone give you that and @Lynn s 8% maybe at off throttle response with his 12v hair dryer WHOLE dif bag of worms but comeon man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I gotta call bs on that one and its no disrespect i love your ride but no way and i buy those numbers

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Shm come on!!!!!!!!!! Alost a second and a half off of a 40 time tflynn i really gotta call that unless the stock filter was pluged solid or ur getting paid by k&n there is no way in hell i can yes yes you will def see a better throttle response no doubt there and with your exhaust yes it will help breath but no way will a filter alone give you that and @Lynn s 8% maybe at off throttle response with his 12v hair dryer WHOLE dif bag of worms but comeon man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I gotta call bs on that one and its no disrespect i love your ride but no way and i buy those numbers
Hey man don't know what to tell you. Those are the times I got. Keep in mind it was with an exhaust already installed. You can believe it or not, I have no reason to fabricate numbers. But now that you mention it... Maybe k&n SHOULD be paying me for this write up!

advertisement