P1000 Key On Power, Illumination, and backup source! - 2016 through 2021 Honda Pioneer 1000 Only

T

TheBob

Feb 15, 2016
North West Arkansas
Okay, I need a quick sanity check here please. Today I purchased the sub harness assembly to wire into the reverse hook up to power a 30 amp relay to power up a fuse block (either blue seas or PC-8 from Eastern Beaver). Now I am questioning why would I want to run a wire all the way from the rear end, well, mid body, to the front under the hood to power the fuse block ? Seems to me the cleaner approach would be to use a fuse tap to power up the relay to pass power to the fuse block. Am I missing something in my thought process? Seems the cleaner approach is to keep the wires shorter and simpler?

Comments?

Reactions: Hondasxs
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Agreed...
The white wire with the black strips (in post 1) is the exact wire that runs to the reverse hookup. It is "key on" hot.
The other white wire with black strip (in post 1) is the 12v accessory wire.
The other wire on the reverse plug is a ground. It is ground switched.
Long to short. Just choose your method. Both will work fine.

T

TheBob

Feb 15, 2016
North West Arkansas
Thanks, that confirms exactly what I was thinking, the white wire with black stripes is my target wire for power supply for the relay, I just have to decide where I want to tap into it. I'm thinking if the fuse tap can be utilized for a clean tap under the fuse holder cap, that's the way I want to go. That will be used to energize the relay to power the fuse block when the key is turned on.

Thanks!

Reactions: Hondasxs
K

Kyle

Jun 11, 2015
I used this info to wire up my backup lights. I chose to have them come on when in reverse, regardless if the headlights are on or not as long as the ignition is on. I was able to simply use the two wires as hot and ground, and ran them to the lights. Easy peezey.
Thanks HONDASXS, your my hero!

What did you use for lights? I would like to do this same exact thing.

thank you,

T

TheBob

Feb 15, 2016
North West Arkansas
Ok, lights are finished. For the reverse lights, I wanted to be able to have the back up lights come on ONLY if the headlights were on and the unit was in reverse, OR, if I manually switched them on to use as work lights while loading a trailer, etc. So I used the back up alarm wiring harness, tapped into the green wire to ground the 30 amp relay when the buggy is put into reverse, that wire goes to terminal 86 on the relay. Terminal 85 on the relay goes to a tap into the brown wire noted above, only hot when the headlights are on. Terminal 87 goes to an un-switched output on my Eastern Beaver PC-8 fuse block. Terminal 30 goes to the back up lights. So, if I am in "stealth mode" (no headlights), if I reverse no lights come on. If I have headlights on, and go to reverse, the backup lights light up.

To accomplish the manual override, I wired the switch on the dash to pull power from the fuse block (an un-switched, always hot terminal, since I want to be able to use the back up lights as work lights without the key being on), and ran the wire from the switch to the wire coming from terminal 30, between the relay and the back up lights. (BTW, the back up lights are grounded directly to the frame). So pushing the dash switch turns the back up lights on as work lights.

Seems like it's going to work. If I keep leaving the work lights on and running the battery down when parking the buggy, I will move the feed wire to a switched outlet on the PC-8. But I doubt I do that, I should only need the lights when it's dark....

And I can't say enough good about Eastern Beaver and the PC-8. I will try to post up pics later, after I clean up the rat's nest of wires, but the PC-8 is ultra reliable (used it on two different cycles going to Alaska) and the perfect size to fit in the little hole next to the air pre-filter.

pct

pct

Lost in the hills
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2016
Letart WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
where is a good place to get the posi tap

T

TheBob

Feb 15, 2016
North West Arkansas
where is a good place to get the posi tap

I shopped at ebay. They're not cheap, but they work great. I tried to source locally but couldn't find them at the local auto parts store. Just get the red ones with the gray as noted.

pct

pct

Lost in the hills
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2016
Letart WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the info

TractorMan

TractorMan

May 19, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
See post #2 it is the little red cylinder in the top center of the photo.
View attachment 8486
Would this be better? You would not have to tap into any wires and it protects the original circuit also.

Bussmann BP/HHH ATM Add-A-Fuse
  • Inserts into an existing ATM fuse block with a 5 in. #16 leadwire and crimp connector (fuses not included)
  • Main fuse at specified circuit rating up to 30A max. Added circuit up to 10A max

41Xq1NBkVYL

41Xq1NBkVYL

Treyi20

Treyi20

Jun 20, 2016
Raymond, MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've been looking into adding reverse lights and I'm good with them coming on at all times when put into reverse and as stated earlier in the post using the reverse alarm plug is a great idea, but Is there an easier way to access the plug without taking off everything Honda suggest in the alarm instructions? I have also read that there are two wires in the alarm plug I assume they are a positive and ground, which wire is which, as in color scheme?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Whit wire with black stripe is 15a fused. The other wire is a reverse ground trigger.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Treyi20

Treyi20

Jun 20, 2016
Raymond, MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Whit wire with black stripe is 15a fused. The other wire is a reverse ground trigger.

Ok great thanks for the help. Just to clarify in laymans terms, if I have some led lights with universal red positive or hot and black negative or ground wires, the red goes to the white with black and the black goes to other wire?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Ok great thanks for the help. Just to clarify in laymans terms, if I have some led lights with universal red positive or hot and black negative or ground wires, the red goes to the white with black and the black goes to other wire?
Correct.
Once you hook that up, it should will come on automaticly when in reverse.

Treyi20

Treyi20

Jun 20, 2016
Raymond, MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Correct.
Once you hook that up, it should will come on automaticly when in reverse.

Awesome! How about locating the alarm plug, is there an easier way to get to it without taking off basically everything like Honda says?

Reactions: Josefe
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Awesome! How about locating the alarm plug, is there an easier way to get to it without taking off basically everything like Honda says?
Ya, not 100% sure. Looking at mine just now looks like once you remove the rear floor board it should be right there.

Treyi20

Treyi20

Jun 20, 2016
Raymond, MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ya, not 100% sure. Looking at mine just now looks like once you remove the rear floor board it should be right there.
If it's the one I found with a white wire with black line and a grey wire clear connect with grey plug, it's a little hard to get to but not to bad, shouldn't have to take the floorboard out.

Reactions: CumminsPusher

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!