P1000 Key On Power, Illumination, and backup source! - 2016 through 2021 Honda Pioneer 1000 Only

T

TheBob

Feb 15, 2016
North West Arkansas
I think I did take the driver side rear floorboard out, but really don't think you have to do that to access that reverse plug. As stated, it's a little bit of a trick to get the plug out of the wire harness, but you can do it without taking the SXS apart like Honda says. I think I actually got to mine by laying on a creeper underneath.

Treyi20

Treyi20

Jun 20, 2016
Raymond, MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is everyone splicing into the actual wires or using the plug for reverse lights? If you used the plug how did you make the connection?

T

TheBob

Feb 15, 2016
North West Arkansas
I used the auxiliary plug from Honda to keep from having to tap into the factory wiring on the reverse lights. However, up under the hood I did use a posi-tap to power up a relay to power my PDM.

Reactions: JACKAL
Treyi20

Treyi20

Jun 20, 2016
Raymond, MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used the auxiliary plug from Honda to keep from having to tap into the factory wiring on the reverse lights. However, up under the hood I did use a posi-tap to power up a relay to power my PDM.
Do you have anymore info on where to get that auxiliary plug? Part #, link?

T

TheBob

Feb 15, 2016
North West Arkansas
I'm looking for it, found it on this forum once, now can't find the part number. But if you go to your local Honda dealer, ask for the back up alarm sub harness, they will probably have to order one. It should be less than $15 dollars. I think mine was around $9, but can't find the receipt or part number at the moment.

Reactions: bud72882
Treyi20

Treyi20

Jun 20, 2016
Raymond, MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm looking for it, found it on this forum once, now can't find the part number. But if you go to your local Honda dealer, ask for the back up alarm sub harness, they will probably have to order one. It should be less than $15 dollars. I think mine was around $9, but can't find the receipt or part number at the moment.
Thanks a lot man, I called where I bought it and got them to order me one, I really appreciate all the help from everyone

T

TheBob

Feb 15, 2016
North West Arkansas
No problem, that's why I love these forums, you can find out how to do anything on them!

See my post in this thread, I think it was #29 on how I wired up my lights. If you need help with anything, just give me a shout.

BrentJ

BrentJ

Jun 11, 2016
Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok, novice electrician here. Wiring up my switches, accessories etc using the Cooper Bussman PDM. Using the info on this thread and Jackal's build, I'm much further along than I would have been. My question, do I need to run multiple lines from the white/black "ignition" wire to each switch, or is it ok to just select one of the unused "switches" wires off of the PDM? I'm having trouble seeing how running one wire (as shown in the photos in this thread) will switch on power to the entire PDM. HELP?!

T

TheBob

Feb 15, 2016
North West Arkansas
Okay, good, I am watching my 18 month old grandson and trying to type up a verbal wiring diagram and watch him dismantle the living room at the same time, neither was going well!

BrentJ

BrentJ

Jun 11, 2016
Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got reading on the electrical thread and realized my error. I now have the PDM all wired and secured, second battery installed, but still waiting on my isolator to arrive on Mon. Interesting note: I hooked up the PDM the the secondary battery "just to see" to check lights, etc. Switches all came on but none of my light bars worked. Then I hooked up the PDM to my stock battery and everything worked as intended. I couldn't figure out how not having the isolator would prevent things from working. Now my noob self realizes (I think) That the issue is that my secondary battery isn't grounded yet.

Reactions: JACKAL
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Got reading on the electrical thread and realized my error. I now have the PDM all wired and secured, second battery installed, but still waiting on my isolator to arrive on Mon. Interesting note: I hooked up the PDM the the secondary battery "just to see" to check lights, etc. Switches all came on but none of my light bars worked. Then I hooked up the PDM to my stock battery and everything worked as intended. I couldn't figure out how not having the isolator would prevent things from working. Now my noob self realizes (I think) That the issue is that my secondary battery isn't grounded yet.
Tada, yup not grounded. I ran a ground wire to frame from second battery direct. Just in case something happens to the isolator, I would still have lights etc.

Reactions: JTW and BrentJ
S

sureshot

Aug 9, 2016
Pittsfield IL
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Also,

Here is a Reverse trigger with a rear Key-On source, See post 13 - P1000 - Key On Power, Illumination, and backup source! - Honda Pioneer 1000 | The Honda Side by Side Club!

And....
Here is a good location for "Light On Power".
Here find the brown wire, this is for the tail lights on! When lights are on it will be hot.
This is good for illumination power of your switches. You can see the posi-tap I have placed on it.
View attachment 8432
thanks for the info

Reactions: Mtnmonkey
HoundDog

HoundDog

Sep 11, 2016
North Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used this info to wire up my backup lights. I chose to have them come on when in reverse, regardless if the headlights are on or not as long as the ignition is on. I was able to simply use the two wires as hot and ground, and ran them to the lights. Easy peezey.
Thanks HONDASXS, your my hero!
perfect.how do you like it? how many watts are your back up lights

K

kevin1234

Sep 29, 2016
ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here is the correct location for Back up / Reverse power according to OEM instructions for the backup alarm for the Honda Pioneer 1000.
The amp rating for this wire is 15 amps combined including all other items tied into the 15amp "Acc" fuse.

Location includes a positive and a ground trigger.
Positive is "Key On" and can also be used as a Key On source for the rear.
Ground trigger is only active when in Reverse!

Unfortunately, It is a little difficult to access.
Here is the back-up alarm instructions for more details - P1k - Back-Up Alarm Harness - 08Z76-HL4-A00 - Instructiosn | The Honda Side by Side Club!

This plug can been seen by looking up and under just in-front of the rear drivers tire. Looking towards the oil filter and on past to the frame you will see a un-used wire. It will be 2 wires with a white plug.
The plug is sealed with a plug. See back-up alarm harness instructions.

Here are some pictures from a Pioneer 1000-5. View attachment 8557 View attachment 8558
Excellent info thanks!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
K

kypioneer

Oct 11, 2016
Liberty ,Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes dealer just called me and said all that came was mounting kit for backup alarm , book called it harness but no wire or plug , and 29.95 saw where someone ordered just plus and wire for around 9.00 my dealer can't find that number
Pretty sure that's what I ordered. I'll look hold on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ealer

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I did something weird because of that price over the 700 unit. I'll try to find it shortly. If someone can beat me me to the punch?

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!