P1000 Key On Power, Illumination, and backup source! - 2016 through 2021 Honda Pioneer 1000 Only

T

TheBob

Feb 15, 2016
North West Arkansas
Glad you got it working! I've been out of pocket for the last couple of weeks, just now getting caught back up, old age is not all it's cracked up to be!

Jimmyscoin

Jimmyscoin

Nov 27, 2016
Fairbanks, alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
IMG 0410
I am in the process of wire in on my lights up right now, I want to tap in to the key on power wire that's black-and-white like Hondasxs said and wanted to know if I can pigtail all the switches to that one wire. Not to power my accessories but my switches Will be lit up when the side-by-side is on. Does anyone know of a reason why you cannot pigtail all the switches to that one wire just for illumination purposes

Reactions: Sparky74
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
View attachment 31002
I am in the process of wire in on my lights up right now, I want to tap in to the key on power wire that's black-and-white like Hondasxs said and wanted to know if I can pigtail all the switches to that one wire. Not to power my accessories but my switches Will be lit up when the side-by-side is on. Does anyone know of a reason why you cannot pigtail all the switches to that one wire just for illumination purposes
This will be fine to power the illumination or for relay control. It will even be fine for smaller draw accessories without a relay.

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
Ok, lights are finished. For the reverse lights, I wanted to be able to have the back up lights come on ONLY if the headlights were on and the unit was in reverse, OR, if I manually switched them on to use as work lights while loading a trailer, etc. So I used the back up alarm wiring harness, tapped into the green wire to ground the 30 amp relay when the buggy is put into reverse, that wire goes to terminal 86 on the relay. Terminal 85 on the relay goes to a tap into the brown wire noted above, only hot when the headlights are on. Terminal 87 goes to an un-switched output on my Eastern Beaver PC-8 fuse block. Terminal 30 goes to the back up lights. So, if I am in "stealth mode" (no headlights), if I reverse no lights come on. If I have headlights on, and go to reverse, the backup lights light up.

To accomplish the manual override, I wired the switch on the dash to pull power from the fuse block (an un-switched, always hot terminal, since I want to be able to use the back up lights as work lights without the key being on), and ran the wire from the switch to the wire coming from terminal 30, between the relay and the back up lights. (BTW, the back up lights are grounded directly to the frame). So pushing the dash switch turns the back up lights on as work lights.

Seems like it's going to work. If I keep leaving the work lights on and running the battery down when parking the buggy, I will move the feed wire to a switched outlet on the PC-8. But I doubt I do that, I should only need the lights when it's dark....

And I can't say enough good about Eastern Beaver and the PC-8. I will try to post up pics later, after I clean up the rat's nest of wires, but the PC-8 is ultra reliable (used it on two different cycles going to Alaska) and the perfect size to fit in the little hole next to the air pre-filter.
does this work?

Reactions: JTW and Talywacker
LapZ

LapZ

Feb 27, 2016
Illinois
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
View attachment 31002

Where did u get that ram mount?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

advertisement
H2oFowler

H2oFowler

May 13, 2017
Memphis,tn
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Calling all wiring experts!! I'm wanting to tackle my accessory wiring myself, but no real experience and somewhat intimidated messing with electrical. My plan is fairly simple compared to others I've seen on forum.
Front led light on bumper, 2 rear leds work lights, and two led interior lights. So I purchased a four gang marine switch plate to accommodate my needs so like some help with wiring. Switch plate has 2 battery leads with 15amp fuse leads for two switchs and outlet each side ( see wire diagram below) my question is do I spice each red lead into battery direct or black and white power on accessory leads? Also blue wire is hot for illumination it appears, so can I tie it to red hot leads? The yellow and black wires on switch plate are all grounds so I assume I can tie those together and ground in frame or back to battery.
Run power wires from accessories to each switch and ground to frame or buss.
Hopefully you smart guys can help me out and advise me on how to tackle my project.

IMG 0054 IMG 0055 IMG 0056

Last edited:
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Calling all wiring experts!! I'm wanting to tackle my accessory wiring myself, but no real experience and somewhat intimidated messing with electrical. My plan is fairly simple compared to others I've seen on forum.
Front led light on bumper, 2 rear leds work lights, and two led interior lights. So I purchased a four gang marine switch plate to accommodate my needs so like some help with wiring. Switch plate has 2 battery leads with 15amp fuse leads for two switchs and outlet each side ( see wire diagram below) my question is do I spice each red lead into battery direct or black and white power on accessory leads? The blue and yellow and black wires on switch plate are all grounds so I assume I can tie those together and ground in frame or back to battery.
Run power wires from accessories to each switch and ground to frame or buss.
Hopefully you smart guys can help me out and advise me on how to tackle my project.

View attachment 45591 View attachment 45592 View attachment 45593

To battery direct, you can add a high amp relay and have it cut power to the switches.

Bout to takeoff, on a plane for a few hours. If someone doesn't help you PM me and when I hit my layover I'll explain better.

T

TheBob

Feb 15, 2016
North West Arkansas
IMHO, it's up to you. The LED lights shouldn't draw enough amperage to require a relay, so you would probably be okay taking those leads to either the battery or the accessory wire. Personally, I almost always use a relay for lights as they can be on for an extended period of time, and I would not want to blow a fuse and have to rely on the stock lights. YMMV.

H2oFowler

H2oFowler

May 13, 2017
Memphis,tn
Ownership

1. 1000-5
IMHO, it's up to you. The LED lights shouldn't draw enough amperage to require a relay, so you would probably be okay taking those leads to either the battery or the accessory wire. Personally, I almost always use a relay for lights as they can be on for an extended period of time, and I would not want to blow a fuse and have to rely on the stock lights. YMMV.
Thanks. I too think I need a relay just to be safe.

T

TheBob

Feb 15, 2016
North West Arkansas
Great! See my post #28 on page two of this thread for info on how I wired my lights up. If you need more info, just shoot me a PM, I will find it soon enough. Good luck!

D

Danl

Lifetime Member
Dec 28, 2016
oxford
Ownership

1. 1000-3
According to Honda Accessory Instructions. Here is the recommended location for Key On Power for the Honda Pioneer 1000 Side by Side!

Honda suggest tapping the 15A Acc Fuse on the output side. Here you will find 2 WHITE with a BLACK STRIPE wires coming out of the output side of the fuse. You will need to untape the wire bunch to access them. It is recommended that you use a posi-tap (not shown) vs the wire tap-ins (shown) for a better error free connection.

View attachment 8398 View attachment 8399 View attachment 8400

D

Danl

Lifetime Member
Dec 28, 2016
oxford
Ownership

1. 1000-3
what is the gauge of the white/blk strip 15 amp acc. wire ??

Last edited:
H

Hester88

Aug 13, 2017
Mt. Vernon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can anyone confirm if the wire harness on the 1000-5 LE is different? I'm trying to tap into the headlight power and the wires that are shown to use in the start of this thread are not in mine. My plugs are set up different and none of the wires i have checked kill power with headlights off. I have a green plug that looks the closest to what is recommended and also shut off my headlights and tail lights but turning them off in the cab doesn't kill power in that plug.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!