TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Video at the bottom..,..

I know most people here may be cognizant of this information. But, there may be new people or others who don't know that I want to share this with.

People are still putting themselves and others on grave danger for no good reason.

Years ago, I saw a shackle go through the front and rear windshield and dent a tailgate. There are videos of there where someone stood between the vehicles and a tow strap failed and hit them in the head and killed them. I've heard tow straps fail and it sounded like a rifle shot.

I try to connect to two recovery points to split the force or halve the stress so one tow hook or recovery point has less of a chance of failure when winching or recovering. And, I use a 6-7 foot lifting strap that doesn't stretch.

One last thing. Most manufacturers of kinetic ropes recommend after several attempts.... Let the rope sit to recover as the fibers stretch out and fatigue and won't perform optionally unless you let them have a little time to recover. If you use kinetics, especially larger ones, you know they get warm too the touch. Not hot like to burn you, but you can tell forces have been induced into the fibers and is still present.

Thank you to Mad Matt

Sent from my motorola edge plus 2023 using Tapatalk

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
This is a great video.
Many people don't know the difference or that there is even a difference between BOTH the rope selected and the the method used.
Also, I didn't see him talk about this. BUT a kinetic rope should NEVER be used for winching.

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is a great video.
Many people don't know the difference or that there is even a difference between BOTH the rope selected and the the method used.
Also, I didn't see him talk about this. BUT a kinetic rope should NEVER be used for winching.
100% correct. No winching or using as an extension. And, conversely, no towing down the road with a kinetic strap that stretches 30% of its length.

Thanks for adding that Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
And, conversely, no towing down the road with a kinetic strap
Well....
I towed with one.
It worked like butter and uphill, too.
There was none of the banging or slamming you have with a normal hard strap or chain.
Slow and steady, was almost too easy with the kinetic rope.

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Video at the bottom..,..

I know most people here may be cognizant of this information. But, there may be new people or others who don't know that I want to share this with.

People are still putting themselves and others on grave danger for no good reason.

Years ago, I saw a shackle go through the front and rear windshield and dent a tailgate. There are videos of there where someone stood between the vehicles and a tow strap failed and hit them in the head and killed them. I've heard tow straps fail and it sounded like a rifle shot.

I try to connect to two recovery points to split the force or halve the stress so one tow hook or recovery point has less of a chance of failure when winching or recovering. And, I use a 6-7 foot lifting strap that doesn't stretch.

One last thing. Most manufacturers of kinetic ropes recommend after several attempts.... Let the rope sit to recover as the fibers stretch out and fatigue and won't perform optionally unless you let them have a little time to recover. If you use kinetics, especially larger ones, you know they get warm too the touch. Not hot like to burn you, but you can tell forces have been induced into the fibers and is still present.

Thank you to Mad Matt

Thanks for posting. Everyone should watch this.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I disagree towing with a tow strap or snatch strap…that’s what they are designed for. Heck of a lot better on your vehicle and less risky of chains.

You won’t find me using chains ever for a recovery, the only chains I have stay on my trailer beds.

As far as kinetic recovery, a vehicle length of bump is the absolute maximum. If it doesn’t come then you need to change tactics.

Also, the best and safest recovery tool is a shovel…yeah it sucks but unless your making an effort to clear the mud, sand, snow in front of the tires, you are just increasing stresses and risks.

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Before I posted a follow up to not towing with a kinetic rope, I wanted to have a specific source for that information.

+++Everyone is entitled to make their own choices and decisions. Intent is not to tell anyone what to do. Just want to share the recommendations of the manufacturer.

I reached out to Yankum Ropes, Bubba Rope and Rhino USA.

Here is what they recommend:
---------------------------
George Skylee

Yankum Ropes

Correct, we do not recommend towing with a kinetic rope. While it does sound appealing to have the rope stretch a little while towing and avoid the hard jerking when tension is lost, these ropes are just not designed for that. Number one reason being that they don't hold up to that much abrasion. If tension is lost and the rope scrapes the pavement, or if someone runs the rope over, it really affects the lifetime of the rope significantly.

We do offer flat straps that are much more equipped for that job. Made out of different material, and static, they are best used for towing, as a tree strap, tree removal, etc.

As far as what to tell someone who does that all the time, I strongly advise not to. They'll be replacing their rope much sooner than even someone who uses the rope daily for its intended purpose.

—---------------------------------------
Nikki

Rhino USA

Thank you for reaching out, this is a great question!

Kinetic recovery ropes are not suitable for towing as they are specifically designed for dynamic recovery operations and can stretch significantly, leading to unsafe conditions during a steady tow. Imagine stretching a rubber band, and how it can fling when released (although not that severe of course).

For towing applications, a static tow strap with minimal stretch is a better option. Static tow straps provide a more controlled and stable towing experience, reducing the risk of sudden jolts and ensuring safer towing operations.

I hope this helps!

—----------------------------------
Gabriel Stark

Bubba Rope

You are correct, it is not recommended or wise to tow with a kinetic rope. The tow strap is not a stretch rope so there is less chance for an injury or damage to the vehicle. The stretch rope has the power stretch so therefore if the towing vehicle stops the towed vehicle can much easily ram into the back of the vehicle towing it. I would tell this to the person who says they do it all the time and let them know they are taking their life and the life of those they are towing into their own hands if they do this.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!