KWT particle separator mounting

Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota
Im going to purchase a kwt prefilter for my Talon X. I have the tractor supply box and super atv rear window. I need to know what mount size to order and best mounting location so not to interfere with these things. Has anyone mounted one with a rear window and box?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Im going to purchase a kwt prefilter for my Talon X. I have the tractor supply box and super atv rear window. I need to know what mount size to order and best mounting location so not to interfere with these things. Has anyone mounted one with a rear window and box?

Have you looked into the 10-80 filter setup? @highpocket74

He posted a similar picture to this, side by side. And well, his "with" filter appeared much cleaner than the KWT.

Just a thought. You may have other reasons for the KWT.

Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I have a KWT and love it, also a tractor supply box. Though, I don't have a rear windshield, I know it can be done especially if it's a new mount and you can choose the location.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Smitty335
Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota
Have you looked into the 10-80 filter setup? @highpocket74
View attachment 327343
He posted a similar picture to this, side by side. And well, his "with" filter appeared much cleaner than the KWT.

Just a thought. You may have other reasons for the KWT.

This is another option I’m thinking about. I actually already have a 3” filter just have to get a outerwhere cover for it. De5e548e5ada2c96744c5a41370bc4e4
My concern is we ride in dusty desert conditions and with the rear window the dust seems to swirl around behind the window a lot and I am afraid of it getting plugged up. With the kwt I can empty the tray and be on my way.

Reactions: CID and Smitty335
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just remember his "with" filter was much cleaner than the one shown.

Found the images.
Screenshot from his website.

Reactions: CID
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I should be getting some more pictures soon after our Texas ride last weekend. It was DUSTY!! I had to run the front as navigator on this trip but by friend Micah was running about 5th or 6th out of 12 bikes. I'm interested in seeing his stock filter conditions while running the pre-filter. We won't have a "with and without" comparison because all 3 Talons were running my pre-filter setup. The third Talon was running in 12th position so I really need pics of that filter, which is think is an R2C. The pre-filters looked fine after the ride. Not even close to being caked up with dust. One benefit of running a dry filter is that a lot of dirt falls off during riding. It doesn't stick like an oiled filter.

I've sold a few of these to guys from Arizona where they tell me 150 miles out of an OEM air filter is great. I"m sure after a few rides they will be posting, good or bad, about my pre-filter. With 44 sold so far, I've yet to hear any complaints about poor results. A large reason for success is simply getting cleaner air from ABOVE the fender in the first place.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
This is another option I’m thinking about. I actually already have a 3” filter just have to get a outerwhere cover for it. View attachment 327354
My concern is we ride in dusty desert conditions and with the rear window the dust seems to swirl around behind the window a lot and I am afraid of it getting plugged up. With the kwt I can empty the tray and be on my way.

Everything is a give and take.

The KWT is easy to clean but, it costs more, doesn't do as good of a job so you will still be replacing OEM filters, can get in the way and I personally think it is ugly.

A prefilter is cheaper, works better (Hondabob has 30K+ miles on his OEM filter) and looks better but is a little more work to maintain.

I built a BVC prefilter knockoff (the one hidden inside the fender) and keep a spare clean filter and outerwear in my trailer for an easy 5 minute swap. Even though it is located in the fender (where the stock snorkel is) I am surprised that it has lasted 500 miles without cleaning so far and 250 of those miles were in Arizona, Nevada and Utah dust. I think it may go up to 1,000 miles between cleanings.

This is coming from someone that used to swear by a particle separator. Although they do work very well, the S&B was always in my line of sight and even it was somewhat ugly to me.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Similar to what PaulF said, if you ride in heavy dust you'll have to clean something. Separators work but are huge and quite ugly. They also require air velocity to work so if you're normal riding is low RPM they will not work very efficiently. Some of my early experiments were with tractor style spinning separators. They worked but only in the upper half of the RPM range. If you run WFO all the time like a tractor then that would work. For normal trail riding it would not.

My pre-filter setup is much smaller than particle separators and almost unnoticeable on the fender. I'd rather undo the one hose clamp to shake the dirt of the pre-filter than go through the hassle of checking and changing the main filter. In the end simple and easy is better.

Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota
I should be getting some more pictures soon after our Texas ride last weekend. It was DUSTY!! I had to run the front as navigator on this trip but by friend Micah was running about 5th or 6th out of 12 bikes. I'm interested in seeing his stock filter conditions while running the pre-filter. We won't have a "with and without" comparison because all 3 Talons were running my pre-filter setup. The third Talon was running in 12th position so I really need pics of that filter, which is think is an R2C. The pre-filters looked fine after the ride. Not even close to being caked up with dust. One benefit of running a dry filter is that a lot of dirt falls off during riding. It doesn't stick like an oiled filter.

I've sold a few of these to guys from Arizona where they tell me 150 miles out of an OEM air filter is great. I"m sure after a few rides they will be posting, good or bad, about my pre-filter. With 44 sold so far, I've yet to hear any complaints about poor results. A large reason for success is simply getting cleaner air from ABOVE the fender in the first place.
Will be watching for the pics and reviews. Maybe I missed this somewhere but is there a club discount from your store? Looking at just the prefilter tube.

Reactions: Smitty335
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X

I don't have a discount code for these because the sell out every time I build a batch to sell. Besides I'm not adding some ridiculous mark-ups for my products. I try to price reasonable for a little profit to be able to continue.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!