KWT X2 Pre-filter 682 mile review

HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have a KWT X2 pre-production 3D printed pre-filter I have been testing. This is 682 miles on a new filter. Pretty impressed. My next report will be at 1000 miles at which point I hope to switch to a production model. Check it out:

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Here is mine after1500 miles of desert riding with a snorkel and a UNI filter . IMG 4146

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Here is mine after1500 miles of desert riding with a snorkel and a UNI filter .View attachment 192693
I'm surprised that much dirt got through the Uni. I copied hondabob's snorkel idea but didn't run it up to the roof, it's right behind the passenger headrest. I've also seen your roof mounted Uni but I don't remember if you kept the stock external air intake chamber or not? Did you have any miles on that stock filter before adding the Uni and snorkel?

A little background - 50 year dirt bike rider, retiring into a Talon. I was surprised at how coarse the outer filter is on the Uni (nearly useless IMO) and how fine the inner is (which 'looks like' it will stop anything). I haven't seen that density disparity before. Do you oil the Uni?

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have a KWT X2 pre-production 3D printed pre-filter I have been testing. This is 682 miles on a new filter. Pretty impressed. My next report will be at 1000 miles at which point I hope to switch to a production model. Check it out:

Could you add a photo of the KWT to your post, plz?

Maybe like this - :)
I gXGK7GX M

Reactions: Lil_Steve
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks, Man. 👍

What's the capacity of your Rotopax, I've never seen one that thick? Does it try to rotate on the ROPS or is it resting against the bed?

HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks, Man. 👍

What's the capacity of your Rotopax, I've never seen one that thick? Does it try to rotate on the ROPS or is it resting against the bed?
It's 3 gallons and I don't know if they make that anymore. It's on a Rotopax mount, secured by TKO clamps. The tank doesn't contact the car at any point.

Reactions: CID
HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks, Man. 👍

IMG 8333

HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks, Man. 👍

The guy at TKO guaranteed it would hold with no problem. I have had trouble with other clamps. To give you an example of how rough my rides get, I lost a bolt out of my spark arrester and a bolt out of my a arm guards, but the TKO mounts hasn't budged.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The guy at TKO guaranteed it would hold with no problem. I have had trouble with other clamps. To give you an example of how rough my rides get, I lost a bolt out of my spark arrester and a bolt out of my a arm guards, but the TKO mounts hasn't budged.
That's exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for. #I'mbuyin'

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
I'm surprised that much dirt got through the Uni. I copied hondabob's snorkel idea but didn't run it up to the roof, it's right behind the passenger headrest. I've also seen your roof mounted Uni but I don't remember if you kept the stock external air intake chamber or not? Did you have any miles on that stock filter before adding the Uni and snorkel?

A little background - 50 year dirt bike rider, retiring into a Talon. I was surprised at how coarse the outer filter is on the Uni (nearly useless IMO) and how fine the inner is (which 'looks like' it will stop anything). I haven't seen that density disparity before. Do you oil the Uni?
HondaBob made mine (I helped) , I do oil it and I just remembered that the OEM filter was used a few hundred miles WITH the UNI but it wasn't inside under the roof , it was top center just under the roof . Glad you rattled my cage because I couldn't figure out why the inside of the air filter box wasn't even dusty but the filter did show that little bit . I am toying with the idea of not oiling it . I have a friend with basically the same snorkel but he has no windshield or back glass (I have both) and he doesn't oil his UNI , so I am waiting on him to tell me how his worked dry .

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
HondaBob made mine (I helped) , I do oil it and I just remembered that the OEM filter was used a few hundred miles WITH the UNI but it wasn't inside under the roof , it was top center just under the roof . Glad you rattled my cage because I couldn't figure out why the inside of the air filter box wasn't even dusty but the filter did show that little bit . I am toying with the idea of not oiling it . I have a friend with basically the same snorkel but he has no windshield or back glass (I have both) and he doesn't oil his UNI , so I am waiting on him to tell me how his worked dry .
Bad idea IMHO, oil is what makes them work. I've been using oiled foam filters since Filtron introduced them for dirt bikes almost 50 years ago. Filtron might be gone(?) but oiled foam isn't.
I qS2Ch8v M

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Bad idea IMHO, oil is what makes them work. I've been using oiled foam filters since Filtron introduced them for dirt bikes almost 50 years ago. Filtron might be gone(?) but oiled foam isn't.
View attachment 192795
Right there with ya BUT I want to see how his looks after the same time .

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X

I ran a uni attached to the inlet tube inside the air box and once forgot to oil the thing and lots of dirt came thru the uni. With it oiled nothing seemed to get past it and the OEM is clean and green.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Right there with ya BUT I want to see how his looks after the same time .
Got it, testing/learning is good. 👍

I'll look forward to your results. :)

Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I agree with CID, why did any dust get through the primary filter to the on-engine secondary filter. If some got to the back side of the filter element, how much get into the engine? So snorkel filter positioning is the key ingredient?

Rapman

Rapman

Feb 11, 2020
Kingman, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Dave, A very similar situation with mine at around 400 miles of riding in the Kingman area With my 1000X 4 Live Valve and the KWT particle separator, or prefilter, whichever one prefers to call it. I call it awesome !!

71F58174 7E24 40DA 9C22 B4B17AF0282C 5717513B DBD0 4A15 B494 E1C43A7ED7E2 357C7BEB 8598 4726 B708 02E039E387E4 E65D571C B9B2 4A96 BFBE 0452DA08E57E E57EBA63 7A21 418F 8940 59B1FEB5B87D C5AFEE52 FB8E 48ED B49C 64B196D04F53

G

Grumpygramps

Jul 7, 2019
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dave, A very similar situation with mine at around 400 miles of riding in the Kingman area With my 1000X 4 Live Valve and the KWT particle separator, or prefilter, whichever one prefers to call it. I call it awesome !!

View attachment 194179 View attachment 194180 View attachment 194182 View attachment 194184 View attachment 194185 View attachment 194186
Any advice where the best place to mount the particle seperator would be when u have a full windshield in front as well as in the rear that creates quite a cloud of dirt in that area. Thx

Reactions: 906UP

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!