P1000 Larger battery, or dual?

MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
Dh

My '20 P1K5D is so dang perfect for my needs that there are very few mods I'm doing. To eliminate the possibility of burning up my clutches while winching, I want to either do a dual battery set up, or replace my OEM battery with one large enough to power everything simultaneously. I can see advantages with either setup, and the dual seems more complicated, although certainly doable.
What is the superior choice, dual batteries or one large, and why? Any particular battery/ies? I want every decision I make on this machine to be an informed one.
Thanks,

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
personal preference. im running a full size marine battery 800cca on my 700-4 but it sits in the bed behind the seats. can run radio for hrs then crank up and leave.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Pilotadam

Pilotadam

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2019
Pell City, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honestly it's all personal choice on how you use your machine. I have a dual set up with a full size marine Optima Blue top under the seat. But I do have pinching when I need it to climb rocky trials plus I run LED light Bars and a stero. On my previous Teryx that did not have the clutch problem caused from low batteries I had a single battery but had a problem a couple of times when I shut it off the battery was to low to restart.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have the dual set up. It was pretty easy to do with all the threads on this subject. U just have to some digging. I dont think u can go wrong either way.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
No need for either. In my opinion.
You have a 2020 and the 2018 update has about eliminated clutch issues outside of the big bogger guys.

Another thing is being conscious with your winching. Try to limit off/on throttle while winching. Many manufacturers state you should let the winch do its job and not apply throttle at all. Doing this will have no effect on the clutches.

This would then make the concern a dead battery. My need for key-off accessory usage is why I chose a dual setup.

Chevy, Ford, or Dodge. They all will get you there and back. Most of the time. Lol.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Personal opinion but I say dual. The Pioneer is so voltage dependent it’s nice to eliminate anything you do from the factory equipment.
Even if you run stereo/lights dead the machine will always fire. Run winch and battery gets low the clutches will still engage without worries, can run both when needed much more comfortable. Separate the two and your much less likely to have issues with the important one.

Last edited:
17LE

17LE

Dec 10, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
No need for either. In my opinion.
You have a 2020 and the 2018 update has about eliminated clutch issues outside of the big bogger guys.

Another thing is being conscious with your winching. Try to limit off/on throttle while winching. Many manufacturers state you should let the winch do its job and not apply throttle at all. Doing this will have no effect on the clutches.

This would then make the concern a dead battery. My need for key-off accessory usage is why I chose a dual setup.

Chevy, Ford, or Dodge. They all will get you there and back. Most of the time. Lol.
Can you tell me if my new 17 has this update or how to find out for sure ??
Thanks.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!