P1000 Last chance to back out

cows4milk

cows4milk

Jun 4, 2016
NW Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Decided this past spring to go ahead and look at a P1000-5. Was easy once I got to the dealer as Canada only gets Deluxe 5 seaters and the wait would be a while so I was told to be happy with the color when it came in. Put my deposit down on May 20 and the call came today the unit is ready to go - my red Pioneer was waiting for me. Had to run to town anyways this afternoon so I swung by the dealer just before closing and took it for a short spin around the lot - was impressed.

This dealer also handles Polaris and has a couple dozen Rangers and RZRs in the lot, but they didn't even try to sell me one. Every Honda P1K they've received has been sold long before it arrived - my unit has been the first one to arrive since late May.

Sales guy told me no problem if I want to back out - he can sell it if I don't want it.

Just over $24K Canadian ($18.5K US) out the door on the invoice (13% refundable tax)

Going to sleep on it

Tell me your thoughts

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Decided this past spring to go ahead and look at a P1000-5. Was easy once I got to the dealer as Canada only gets Deluxe 5 seaters and the wait would be a while so I was told to be happy with the color when it came in. Put my deposit down on May 20 and the call came today the unit is ready to go - my red Pioneer was waiting for me. Had to run to town anyways this afternoon so I swung by the dealer just before closing and took it for a short spin around the lot - was impressed.

This dealer also handles Polaris and has a couple dozen Rangers and RZRs in the lot, but they didn't even try to sell me one. Every Honda P1K they've received has been sold long before it arrived - my unit has been the first one to arrive since late May.

Sales guy told me no problem if I want to back out - he can sell it if I don't want it.

Just over $24K Canadian ($18.5K US) out the door on the invoice (13% refundable tax)

Going to sleep on it

Tell me your thoughts
Excellent night to sleep on it.
You may see some new eye candy released tomorrow from Honda you like better.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

Going to sleep on it

Tell me your thoughts

Definitely sleep on it and log back on tomorrow morning and find out if Honda is releasing something cooler.

Other than that, what type of terrain will you be using it in?

Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014

Going to sleep on it

Tell me your thoughts
Life is short, Pioneers are cool

cows4milk

cows4milk

Jun 4, 2016
NW Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Definitely sleep on it and log back on tomorrow morning and find out if Honda is releasing something cooler.

Other than that, what type of terrain will you be using it in?

If I go ahead with the purchase, the Pioneer will be probably 75% work on my dairy farm and 25% pretending to work. I have fields spread out over 8 miles or so and do some custom crop work on land up to 20 miles away. I can run roads legally here, so I'm thinking it would make a great crop checking rig but also allow me to run into the back mud holes of pasture fields to repair fence. If i buy it I'm pretty sure it will get used almost every day between myself, my employees or my kids.

Almost bought a 900XP Ranger last year but then the Pioneer was released and I decided to wait and see how it turned out.

Not too worried about something "cooler" being released. The current unit looks about perfect for me.

As you can see, I'm still talking myself into it lol.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
If I go ahead with the purchase, the Pioneer will be probably 75% work on my dairy farm and 25% pretending to work. I have fields spread out over 8 miles or so and do some custom crop work on land up to 20 miles away. I can run roads legally here, so I'm thinking it would make a great crop checking rig but also allow me to run into the back mud holes of pasture fields to repair fence. If i buy it I'm pretty sure it will get used almost every day between myself, my employees or my kids.

Almost bought a 900XP Ranger last year but then the Pioneer was released and I decided to wait and see how it turned out.

Not too worried about something "cooler" being released. The current unit looks about perfect for me.

As you can see, I'm still talking myself into it lol.

If you are going to be running really slow (less than 5 MPH/8KPH)and/or starting and stopping on a lot of hills, you may want to do more research here and elsewhere or better yet find someone and ride with them doing what you are wanting to do with it before you commit. The P700 may be more appropriate for that type of use and still retain the option to haul people/stuff.

You may also want to take a gander at the Can-Am Defender (I didn't like it but it may be cheaper/better suited for you) or the Kawasaki Mule Pro FXT if you want to be able to haul stuff and people (I really like it, just a little too long for me).

Plus, who knows what we might be discussing this time tomorrow.

cows4milk

cows4milk

Jun 4, 2016
NW Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you are going to be running really slow (less than 5 MPH/8KPH)and/or starting and stopping on a lot of hills, you may want to do more research here and elsewhere or better yet find someone and ride with them doing what you are wanting to do with it before you commit. The P700 may be more appropriate for that type of use and still retain the option to haul people/stuff.

You may also want to take a gander at the Can-Am Defender (I didn't like it but it may be cheaper/better suited for you) or the Kawasaki Mule Pro FXT if you want to be able to haul stuff and people (I really like it, just a little too long for me).

Plus, who knows what we might be discussing this time tomorrow.

Can-Am dealer is 5 miles away, they have had a Defender on the lot for a couple of months. Hasn't been moved much.

Good friend is the Kawasaki dealer in town. Looked at the Mule Pro FXT last year. Nice machine but just too big.

I've had other brands. And had bad luck.

Every time I buy something non-Honda it seems to come back to bite me. :D

Reactions: JACKAL and joeymt33
AirtimeAcres

AirtimeAcres

Nov 11, 2015
Go thru with the Pioneer purchase. You'll be glad you did.
My wife and I bought our P1k in April to use on our 108 acre hilltop forest even tho we've gotten along fine without one for the past 20 years by using Honda quads (super reliable), dirtbikes, pickups, and our Mercedes SUV.
We use the Pioneer (we call it "the buggy") nearly every day now. So much better than quads for shuttling people around the property. Riding quads 2 up is sometimes "awkward", and many people simply won't ride double on a quad.
Our P1k is super versatile, easy to drive, and almost fun to drive (I still prefer my dirtbikes to anything 4 wheeled).
Again, buy it!
Randy
75EB8D72 3773 4705 A3D0 7A3B03814F1B

R

RobertwHarley

Lifetime Member
Jun 17, 2016
Huntsville, Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Going to sleep on it

Tell me your thoughts
I bought mine just in time for may 24. Love what it does off road and was going places the quads weren't. Also set it up as a mini ambulance with stretcher and have used it for a iron man competition with great success. Don't wait and change your mind. Just do it. You will be happy with it. The payload and pull alone should be making you happy on the job and it has lots of gusto for play as well.

Reactions: sharp
advertisement
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Well I may be one of the few people who are glad there are no 2017 changes to the P1000, makes my decision easier!

Looks like its time to go hook the trailer up...

Make sure you keep in mind that it isn't that there are no changes announced for the 2017 model, there ISN'T a 2017 model at this time....

Ever seen a 1983 Corvette?

cows4milk

cows4milk

Jun 4, 2016
NW Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Make sure you keep in mind that it isn't that there are no changes announced for the 2017 model, there ISN'T a 2017 model at this time....

Ever seen a 1983 Corvette?

Lol. With all due respect Mr. Crow_Hunter - I do believe you spend a wee bit too much time over analyzing.

I'm going to pick up my Pioneer, get it covered in manure and mud and possibly remember it needs service before the snow flies. My research is done, I'm going to live with it, time to move on to the next project - I'm in the middle of adding on to one of my barns and need to finish design work before the concrete forming guys get ahead of me.

I hope you get your issues figured out and decide what is best for you.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Lol. With all due respect Mr. Crow_Hunter - I do believe you spend a wee bit too much time over analyzing.

I'm going to pick up my Pioneer, get it covered in manure and mud and possibly remember it needs service before the snow flies. My research is done, I'm going to live with it, time to move on to the next project - I'm in the middle of adding on to one of my barns and need to finish design work before the concrete forming guys get ahead of me.

I hope you get your issues figured out and decide what is best for you.

Thank you and best of luck to you. I hope it meets or exceeds your expectations.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!