P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Replace 'em in pairs, Daddy Warbucks!
I guess, technically, you're really supposed to do that? I had thought about it, but my history with axles has shown that they'll fail at random times for (sometimes) random reasons - by that I mean - without me doing something horrible to them. But no, I'll just take one, thanks...

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
The clip on the spline that inserts into the diff was still there, intact. I don't know what's going in inside the CV yet, but that's where it failed.
I bet the only thing holding it together is the boot. Most likely the retaining ring inside is either out of place or broken...

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Could it be that the rubber boot is stretched longitudinally when installing and the constant pull back to its natural state has slowly migrated it outwards? Does the other side do it?
Measure the length of shaft between the inner and outer boots and compare to the other side.
If the shaft end of the boots are clamped to the shaft incorrectly(stretched a bit before clamped) wont that give a constant pull on the diff spline ?

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If the shaft end of the boots are clamped to the shaft incorrectly(stretched a bit before clamped) wont that give a constant pull on the diff spline ?
I didn't see anything unusual on the boots and where they were clamped. This axle would have been installed out of the box from SuperATV, I never had those clamps off.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I didn't see anything unusual on the boots and where they were clamped. This axle would have been installed out of the box from SuperATV, I never had those clamps off.
Measure between the boot clamps, they may have been misinstalled at the factory. If the distance is different between the right and left shaft the boot tension could be migrating your shaft out

SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
There's really only a few things that make the axles pop out. Retaining clip broke or isn't engaged (sometimes there's gunk in the groove where it needs to ride). Somehow the suspension has been overextended and gets yanked out (used to see this with old Commanders). Or...there's a vacuum that has been created in the boot which doesn't allow the bellows to expand and compress freely. Heat or altitude could cause the vacuum. All the air gets forced out, but it can't get back in....so the boot yanks the CV into its fully compressed state when its at rest. If your clicking is coming from the axle, that's just the regular ol' crack in the cage sound that means your CV is going to go at some point.

Reactions: TripleB
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There's really only a few things that make the axles pop out. Retaining clip broke or isn't engaged (sometimes there's gunk in the groove where it needs to ride). Somehow the suspension has been overextended and gets yanked out (used to see this with old Commanders). Or...there's a vacuum that has been created in the boot which doesn't allow the bellows to expand and compress freely. Heat or altitude could cause the vacuum. All the air gets forced out, but it can't get back in....so the boot yanks the CV into its fully compressed state when its at rest. If your clicking is coming from the axle, that's just the regular ol' crack in the cage sound that means your CV is going to go at some point.
It was different from a normal "crack in the cage" sound. Those have a grinding sound that's pretty nasty. This only happened when the wheel articulated down when most of the weight shifted to the other side, and it was a single THUNK. Now that I have more info, I think it would have sounded exactly like you would expect if the spline ring was popping in and out as it moves.

I think it was the retaining ring inside the Inner CV, not the one that inserts into the diff.

Reactions: SuperATV
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
With the stock axle back in, no wheel on, and the shock removed I was able to articulate the entire range of the A-arm without the axle popping out (and that's waaay more range than it's going to run with the shock mounted up.)

Just food for thought. It reassured me that it wasn't something in my arm or its path.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!