P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Someone want to explain how this is even possible? No, I didn’t miss it when installing it, that Rhino 2 axle has been in there over a year.

But somehow it managed to back out at the front diff to the point it’s nearly fallen out.

154E6B60 4F6C 4D2F 8E6F 27602A34F4BA

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No noise to speak of. The only reason I even knew it was like this was because my buddy was wiggling his Polaris axle to show me it had slop in the CV. I grabbed mine to show him how solid one should be…not

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Could it be that the rubber boot is stretched longitudinally when installing and the constant pull back to its natural state has slowly migrated it outwards? Does the other side do it?
Measure the length of shaft between the inner and outer boots and compare to the other side.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'll get into it one evening this week and report back. I'm worried what may have gotten into my diff with this thing hanging out. It's been thru mud holes and all.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Someone want to explain how this is even possible? No, I didn’t miss it when installing it, that Rhino 2 axle has been in there over a year.

But somehow it managed to back out at the front diff to the point it’s nearly fallen out.

View attachment 383436
Looks to me like the “C” clip Thats on the end of the spline of the axel that holds the axel in had failed, thats really the only way it can pop out like that unless the something in the gear box has cut loose.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
could be frame or something bent, really out of adjustment, or severely worn out that changes the distance between the diff and wheel hub - no expert here but I’ve seen it before on atv’s, etc…

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
could be frame or something bent, really out of adjustment, or severely worn out that changes the distance between the diff and wheel hub - no expert here but I’ve seen it before on atv’s, etc…

It crossed my mind, but there's been no damage that I'm aware of, and all of my front end components are well maintained

Reactions: Robobrainiac
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
It crossed my mind, but there's been no damage that I'm aware of, and all of my front end components are well maintained
no expert here - heard that before as well - thanks for "not aware of"

in PA - we call it aliens took it for a ride and not aware - lol 🤟

what do you mean by axle sheared off inside - u do see splines, correct?

hope its something simple and fixed quick.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I haven't got to really evaluate it yet. Parked it at my buddy's house and planning on getting into it soon

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV

I just replaced all my A-Arms. It was my first foray into this, so bear with me.

IIRC, the only way that axle can come out THAT far is if the distance between the diff and the wheel hub is greatly increased.

When I reinstalled the hubs, it pretty much snugged up all the axle slop (give a little for A-Arm articulation). If there was that much slop, it seems the damn axle would flop out all the time ... ?

Or maybe I'm just not comprehending. 🤷‍♂️

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Why does this pic of a Rhino 2.0 axle look so different from yours?

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, I went through it tlast night expecting to find something horribly wrong, and it turns out it was just the axle.

Going all the way back to last year, I've had a thunk in that left front suspension that I could never identify. I thought it was a spring binding or rubbing or something, and I just ran with it until I could go thru the front end again.

It turns out, I'll bet that was the inner CV making that noise. It only did it when the LF arm compressed then extended.

If you stand it up on the garage floor next to another axle, it's 2" shorter. You can grab the inner CV and extend it out to get back to full length, but left on it's own it'll just fall down. It's strange, I've never had a CV fail like that. It still articulates correctly, you can't feel any grinding in it or anything.

@SuperATV - You ever seen anything like this in a Rhino 2.0?

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
When did you purchase it, @P1K5Dave? From the SATV product page: "Rhino 2.0 Axles are backed by an industry leading 18-month warranty. "

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah, I know - but I put that axle on there in September of '21 and I bought it some months before that. I do believe it failed within a few months and would have been warranty covered, but I just didn't know it.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Well, I went through it tlast night expecting to find something horribly wrong, and it turns out it was just the axle.

Going all the way back to last year, I've had a thunk in that left front suspension that I could never identify. I thought it was a spring binding or rubbing or something, and I just ran with it until I could go thru the front end again.

It turns out, I'll bet that was the inner CV making that noise. It only did it when the LF arm compressed then extended.

If you stand it up on the garage floor next to another axle, it's 2" shorter. You can grab the inner CV and extend it out to get back to full length, but left on it's own it'll just fall down. It's strange, I've never had a CV fail like that. It still articulates correctly, you can't feel any grinding in it or anything.

@SuperATV - You ever seen anything like this in a Rhino 2.0?
I bet it's the retaining ring inside, maybe it was never installed correctly from factory and after a few months of rotation something either popped it out of place or broke it.

Get some boot bands and take it apart to inspect, might be worth keeping as a spare if you want to replace it 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: SuperATV
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bet it's the retaining ring inside, maybe it was never installed correctly from factory and after a few months of rotation something either popped it out of place or broke it.

Get some boot bands and take it apart to inspect, might be worth keeping as a spare if you want to replace it 🤷‍♂️
Yeah, I'll do some forensics on it some time this Summer.

I've got my stock axle in there for now and will order another Rhino2 today.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Yeah, I'll do some forensics on it some time this Summer.

I've got my stock axle in there for now and will order another Rhino2 today.
Replace 'em in pairs, Daddy Warbucks!

Reactions: JenElio
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks to me like the “C” clip Thats on the end of the spline of the axel that holds the axel in had failed, thats really the only way it can pop out like that unless the something in the gear box has cut loose.
The clip on the spline that inserts into the diff was still there, intact. I don't know what's going in inside the CV yet, but that's where it failed.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!