P1000m5 LE rear axles

B

Bubbadoyle

Mar 28, 2017
Lodi WI
I currently have a 2018 1000-5 LE with about 3400 miles on it. Two years ago I had a rear axle replaced at the dealership as it was popping when turning sharp or in reverse. A year later which would have been this spring I had both rear axles replaced for the same thing. Since then I’ve put about 500 miles on it. Most of those are road riding in high range in turf mode. Maybe 20 miles of riding some logging trails on mine or a buddy’s property in low range all the time in turf mode to 4wd depending on the conditions at the time. This riding is slow speed and just to get around these properties for improving deer hunting projects. I have a couple of miles pulling a small atv disc for planing some small food plots. I’m already starting to hear a little pop in the rear, especially when turning in reverse. I’m afraid I’m having an axle issue again after only 500 miles. I’m running qbt 846 tires in 28x10x14 all the way around with 1” spacers on the rear to make the front and rears the same width. I’m wondering if anyone else has had continued issues like this? Or if anyone could point me in the right direction of what might be causing this. I’m certainly not beating on the machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

B

Bubbadoyle

Mar 28, 2017
Lodi WI
You may need to adjust the cable box on the driver side under the rear floorboard - - there's a good YouTube video on that.

I’ve done this before and mine switches quickly and easily between turf, 2wd and 4wd.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Is it a single POP or more like a click, click, click, click, click.

My 2019, 1000 has a single loud POP when 2x4 disengages. Like the disengagement is stuck and finally breaks free.

B

Bubbadoyle

Mar 28, 2017
Lodi WI
Is it a single POP or more like a click, click, click, click, click.

My 2019, 1000 has a single loud POP when 2x4 disengages. Like the disengagement is stuck and finally breaks free.

More clicking. I hear the pop when it switches on a very rare occasion. This is how it started sounding when I had to replace axles before.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I currently have a 2018 1000-5 LE with about 3400 miles on it. Two years ago I had a rear axle replaced at the dealership as it was popping when turning sharp or in reverse. A year later which would have been this spring I had both rear axles replaced for the same thing. Since then I’ve put about 500 miles on it. Most of those are road riding in high range in turf mode. Maybe 20 miles of riding some logging trails on mine or a buddy’s property in low range all the time in turf mode to 4wd depending on the conditions at the time. This riding is slow speed and just to get around these properties for improving deer hunting projects. I have a couple of miles pulling a small atv disc for planing some small food plots. I’m already starting to hear a little pop in the rear, especially when turning in reverse. I’m afraid I’m having an axle issue again after only 500 miles. I’m running qbt 846 tires in 28x10x14 all the way around with 1” spacers on the rear to make the front and rears the same width. I’m wondering if anyone else has had continued issues like this? Or if anyone could point me in the right direction of what might be causing this. I’m certainly not beating on the machine.

Are you certain it's not the rear differential clicking? If not just perfectly adjusted mine made same noises 18 LE never replaced an axle in 12k miles. A few turns by finger inside the flux capacitor and she quiets right down, could also be from shifting while stationary in and out of turf mode that's what mine was.

B

Bubbadoyle

Mar 28, 2017
Lodi WI
Are you certain it's not the rear differential clicking? If not just perfectly adjusted mine made same noises 18 LE never replaced an axle in 12k miles. A few turns by finger inside the flux capacitor and she quiets right down, could also be from shifting while stationary in and out of turf mode that's what mine was.

I’ll readjust it next weekend. It’s at my land right now. I’ve heard the pop before when it shifts from 2wd to turf and this is different. I’m far from a mechanic I just know that it’s made this same sound two years in a row and the dealership told me it was the axles and replaced three in two years.

Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Is it possible that the joints are getting contaminated? (water from a leaking boot). I poked a hole in a boot and it started clicking. Disassembled and cleaned the joint. Had to use rust remover and solvent to clean it up and got it rotating smoothly again. Repacked with grease and put on a new boot. Good to go now.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I’ll readjust it next weekend. It’s at my land right now. I’ve heard the pop before when it shifts from 2wd to turf and this is different. I’m far from a mechanic I just know that it’s made this same sound two years in a row and the dealership told me it was the axles and replaced three in two years.

Dealerships profit from selling parts and labor, they don't always have your best interests in mind.

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 18 LE has also popped just once (shifting from 2wd to turf) when I didn't have the rear diff adjusted quite right.
Just saying the adjustment is finicky. Knowing the LE axles are unique to LE's, Is it possible to miss match some parts, CV or?, dont think so.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smitty335
B

Bubbadoyle

Mar 28, 2017
Lodi WI
Is it possible that the joints are getting contaminated? (water from a leaking boot). I poked a hole in a boot and it started clicking. Disassembled and cleaned the joint. Had to use rust remover and solvent to clean it up and got it rotating smoothly again. Repacked with grease and put on a new boot. Good to go now.

It’s possible. I’ll check it this weekend.

B

Bubbadoyle

Mar 28, 2017
Lodi WI
Dealerships profit from selling parts and labor, they don't always have your best interests in mind.

I understand that. We all hope our dealerships aren’t doing that to us. I do have a buddy that’s a diesel mechanic that likely will be able to help me diagnose the problem. I’ll have to get him to take a look.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!