P500 LED Light Bar Questions

wvupsc

wvupsc

Feb 1, 2021
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
I'm considering getting this 20" Nilight LED light bar from Amazon. It includes a wiring harness with fuse and relay. I plan to mount it on my Honda hard to roof. Couple questions:

1. Does anyone have experience with this particular brand or specific unit? Any good or bad experiences?
2. I'm pretty stupid when it comes to anything electrical. But it looks like this has everything I need to install, and I can safely wire it to my battery. Is that correct? My winch is the only other accessory that is wired to my battery.
3. Is it really as easy as mounting the light and switch, then running/securing wires and connecting to battery? Am I missing any important considerations?

Thanks for the help...

Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Without a key on source or some kind of controlled power it will be hot all the time but ya you can hook it up that way. If the switch is lit it will be on all the time but if it’s only lit when the bar is on you should be fine.

wvupsc

wvupsc

Feb 1, 2021
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
Without a key on source or some kind of controlled power it will be hot all the time but ya you can hook it up that way. If the switch is lit it will be on all the time but if it’s only lit when the bar is on you should be fine.
Battery drain is one of my concerns. I'm not sure if the switch stays lit when the key isn't in ignition. Or does the relay keep that from happening? What's the alternative for wiring it, if not directly to battery?

Reactions: rustyneversleeps
Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Battery drain is one of my concerns. I'm not sure if the switch stays lit when the key isn't in ignition. Or does the relay keep that from happening? What's the alternative for wiring it, if not directly to battery?
If the switch is only lit when bar is on there shouldn’t be any drain. But it’s still hot all the time so you’ll have to be mindful and not leave it on. I think they make a harness for the 500 that gives you a couple key on hot wires. I’m not sure. I have a 1000. I installed a stinger controlled 2nd fuse box that makes adding acc super easy. The relay is like a big switch that only allows power to flow when it gets a little power from the key on or controlled source. Do a search on relay wiring and you should get a few diagrams.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I would recomend using the accessory sub harness for plug and play key on power:

Also, see post #33 for a picture of what is under the blue tape.
I got mine from Amazon for fast delivery (and it's on my wife's credit card).

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I poked around a little and see you had your winch installed by the dealer.
You may already have the accessory sub harness or not depending on how your dealer wired it up.
From the contactor (big switch that controls the winch) follow the small wires.
2 go the the switch and one wire is the power for the control circuit.
That last one will lead to the sub harness if it was installed.

wvupsc

wvupsc

Feb 1, 2021
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
I
I poked around a little and see you had your winch installed by the dealer.
You may already have the accessory sub harness or not depending on how your dealer wired it up.
From the contactor (big switch that controls the winch) follow the small wires.
2 go the the switch and one wire is the power for the control circuit.
That last one will lead to the sub harness if it was installed.
I will do that..thanks.

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
If you don’t have a sub harness installed you could probably tie it into your cigarette lighter.

I believe they are only on when the key is on.

I tied mine into my running lights wire by the headlights. That way the light on your roof will turn off when your headlights are off.

we can help walk through wiring.

I don’t have experience with that particular brand of led bar, but it has 4 1/2 stars out of 5,200 reviews, I’m sure it will be fine.

Reactions: wvupsc
Raghorn

Raghorn

Aug 26, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I haven't used that brand of light bar, but I did use their wiring harness and rocker switch for my light bar. Seems like decent quality and installation was easy.

On your switch, I am not sure if the switch is only lit with it being on or not, however with a rocker switch, you can make it do either light on always or just on when in use depending on how you configure the switch.

Reactions: Hillbillytnt
Bisley

Bisley

Apr 14, 2021
West Covina, CA
Ownership

1. 500
You can make it light up only when the lights are on too by simply grounding ONLY the pole for the top light, number 8 in the picture. I just went through all of this ;)

J66B

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!