Lets talk rain gear a waders

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
So everyone knows I tend to get wet alot. I have been thinking about buying a pair of light waders and have narrowed it down to two different styles.

First is your typical wader but built for riding from gator waders they look to be pretty well made and I don't feel I would have to be overly cautious around thorns such as the overland thorn run. I feel these would probably do a better job at keeping you warm.

The second is this style Finntrail these seem to remind me more of my dry suits for kayaking that I have in how they are made. I definitely think these will but much lighter, easier to pack but I am not sure about how resilient they would be to thorns and brush.

Also I am open to new kinds of jackets and other rain gear what are the best gloves, socks ect?

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Interested as well.

For raingear I have often thought that the Guide wear gear that Cabelas sells is pretty impressive. seems to be able to keep you warn and dry . granted not if you fall in + $$ and I try and not ride in the rain that much.

Reactions: sharp and Neohio
Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
So everyone knows I tend to get wet alot. I have been thinking about buying a pair of light waders and have narrowed it down to two different styles.

First is your typical wader but built for riding from gator waders they look to be pretty well made and I don't feel I would have to be overly cautious around thorns such as the overland thorn run. I feel these would probably do a better job at keeping you warm.

The second is this style Finntrail these seem to remind me more of my dry suits for kayaking that I have in how they are made. I definitely think these will but much lighter, easier to pack but I am not sure about how resilient they would be to thorns and brush.

Also I am open to new kinds of jackets and other rain gear what are the best gloves, socks ect?
I think you’ll definitely want to pick a style that won’t fill up with water when you flip over in it. ;)

Kilo427

Kilo427

Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
I just go back and think of last year at the mullberry. Of course I knew I was going into a mud hole but I did not know I would flip it up to my neck in water and mud.
I think you’ll definitely want to pick a style that won’t fill up with water when you flip over in it. ;)

LOL well that would be a full dry suit, which i have but I don't think it would be comfortable sitting in all day! I know nothing will protect me from those events. But the challenge is finding a good solution to wear that will keep me water proof for the most part and will enable me not to have to bring several different shoes and boots with me just in case. I guess either has pros and cons Ill probably start with the least expensive option and work my way up.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just go back and think of last year at the mullberry. Of course I knew I was going into a mud hole but I did not know I would flip it up to my neck in water and mud.

LOL well that would be a full dry suit, which i have but I don't think it would be comfortable sitting in all day! I know nothing will protect me from those events. But the challenge is finding a good solution to wear that will keep me water proof for the most part and will enable me not to have to bring several different shoes and boots with me just in case. I guess either has pros and cons Ill probably start with the least expensive option and work my way up.
You could just ride naked and carry a towel in a ziplock bag.....

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5

The breathable waders from cabelas are awsome.

Kilo427

Kilo427

Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
I am not sure where you think I don't support manufacturers? I have more or less bought one of each from every vendor on this site. Just because I have explored other platforms that I prefer does not mean I don't see the usefulness of others innovations. I don't know that I have ever been overly critical publicly on this forum to anyone, if I have I certainly don't mean to halt the wheels of progress nor deter vendors from continuing business.

Now back on track, I don't think garbage bags would do well in thorns!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Why hold members behavior at a higher standard than the moderators?
Sarcasm is often misunderstood. I never claimed to have any standards, what are you doing later? :p

Last edited:
Reactions: sharp
Kilo427

Kilo427

Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
The breathable waders from cabelas are awsome.

I remember you talking about those I would like to put that on the short list as well. Would they be pretty abrasion resistant or are they to thin?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I am not sure where you think I don't support manufacturers? I have more or less bought one of each from every vendor on this site. Just because I have explored other platforms that I prefer does not mean I don't see the usefulness of others innovations. I don't know that I have ever been overly critical publicly on this forum to anyone, if I have I certainly don't mean to halt the wheels of progress nor deter vendors from continuing business.

Now back on track, I don't think garbage bags would do well in thorns!

Back in track then, I have had a set of pants and jacket called ARC Backcountry Foul Weather gear each top and bottom sold for less than $80 through RMATV , sadly however it appears they are no longer carried vs. the new set that are $199 each but has goretex. I had mine for 10 years now made of 1000 denier cordura, wear like iron, had many zippered vent for warm wet weather riding. Caters to dual purpose MC crowd. KLM also has same gear but damn $700 for a top n bottom set is pricey, but they are tough too. Still none addresses water coming up from boot top, deep water stuff.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Why hold members behavior at a higher standard than the moderators?

That has been recently discussed with @Hondasxs which is the reason for his post. I personally caused a few discussions to go far beyond what they should have as a moderator. In reality I’m just another member that is expected to “moderate” the discussion to attempt calm down and not add fuel a cause a dumpster fire. I apologize guys I fell short at doing that recently. Discussion and debate is good, I did not do that, please forgive me I’m just another flawed and imperfect person.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I remember you talking about those I would like to put that on the short list as well. Would they be pretty abrasion resistant or are they to thin?
They are very tough. Mine are at least 10yrs old. And nothing's harder than duck hunting. Like wearing wind pants.

Reactions: sharp
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
I like frog toggs for summer and fall/spring, light enough to be cool but last longer than box store crap. if you have prickers or thorns probably wont though they are made for motorcycle riding, other cool thing is the collar is a puffy roll so it seals against your helmet for wind and rain

hoghead76

hoghead76

Feb 7, 2018
oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the Frogg Toggs pro bibs, and jacket they work good. with them if you bend over rain does not run down
your back and into your crack. But dont know of any thing that will keep you dry when your running seat deep in water
other than a good pair of waders.

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Kilo427
I have found the answer to your problems.
1809791 101693619853306914827252116264484453356077n jpeg728d24a268b6172f58fa795ca6eac932

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!