Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I know this is a bit off topic, but: What does everyone use for a synthetic winch rope? As in what diameter, length and good vs bad brands?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
The 2 ropes on all 3 winches i have are the ones that come with the units. I also carry an extra in my recovery gear. I would just get the ones in the forum store and make sure you take care of it correctly. The length veries by the size of the spool that you winch has.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I know this is a bit off topic, but: What does everyone use for a synthetic winch rope? As in what diameter, length and good vs bad brands?

I copied this earlier, it seemed like a good reference point but I'm more likely to buy from the club store.

TxDoc recommends Amsteel Blue winch line, his was good for 17 years.

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2

terra 45 with 1/4'x 50' dyneema rope from super winch, will go club store when it needs replaced

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The 2 ropes on all 3 winches i have are the ones that come with the units. I also carry an extra in my recovery gear. I would just get the ones in the forum store and make sure you take care of it correctly. The length veries by the size of the spool that you winch has.
Good to know. Have you seen the trail side repair for a synthetic rope, pretty slick! You need a rope thimble thingy, it works like a Chinese hand cuff.

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
I just called a local Marine Dealer and talked to a parts guy that used to sail, he told me to use a ball point pen as a fidd? Thought that was pretty cool!
never thought about that but should work all you need is to open the braid. the blow boaters have been using soft shackles on their sailing rigging for ever

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I copied this earlier, it seemed like a good reference point but I'm more likely to buy from the club store.

TxDoc recommends Amsteel Blue winch line, his was good for 17 years.
I use the Amsteel Blue as well, great winch rope.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah, a backup winch line is one of the more important things in my pack - although the line in my winch has run two seasons now with dozens of pulls and has held up well.

BrophyCreek

BrophyCreek

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 8, 2016
New Richmond, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you, I'll check out the store.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!