Talk me out of trading my P 1000-5

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2020 P1000-5. I have put a roof on it, winch, and windshield. Has less than 600 miles. I am a Honda guy, but this thing is so hot and dust just boils up into the cab. I have 4 children and the heat in the cab is miserable. Its got loads of power, and I'm sure would be very reliable long term, but ready to go the Defender route. My understanding is my 2020 should have the heat reducing materials on it from factory. Am I missing something ?
I guess it all depend on what you want to do with you pioneer. I’ve added heat reflecting material under the seats, a 7-1/2 in spal blower under the seat; a windshield for my wife and a mid screen. If you’re carrying kids in the back, put a rear screen or windshield and heat reflecting material under the passenger side rear floor. My son-in-law bought one of the four door defenders with A/C, heat and power windows and it’s nice, but not near the fun of the pioneer.

Reactions: crewcabrob
B

bs4u00

Mar 6, 2019
WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2020 P1000-5. I have put a roof on it, winch, and windshield. Has less than 600 miles. I am a Honda guy, but this thing is so hot and dust just boils up into the cab. I have 4 children and the heat in the cab is miserable. Its got loads of power, and I'm sure would be very reliable long term, but ready to go the Defender route. My understanding is my 2020 should have the heat reducing materials on it from factory. Am I missing something ?
Does your windshield open up? Get yourself the SATV flip open windshield! You can open it a little bit, or open it all the way. When riding, heat is no longer an issue until it gets to about 85 degrees F. I don't care what kind of utv you get, if you have a windshield that does not open all the way, it will be hot in summer. I like being able to close it, even in summer, if we are out riding and it starts raining. You will get soaked in a hurry if you do not have a windshield.

Pancho-N-AK

Pancho-N-AK

Nov 22, 2020
Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I had the same problem on my 2016 P1000, full windshield and back cab cover (not a full cab). I researched online for a cure, but got the same answers that I have read on this post. What I did is added the heat shield on the seat first. That helped the heat problem some... For the dust problem, I found that most of the dust was coming from around the bottom of the doors, and from behind the seat. So I used duct tape on the seat belt cracks, and then stuffed foam between the back of the beach seat. Around the door, I attached pipe insolation around the leading edges. This made a huge difference in the dust problem.

rndbbls

rndbbls

Aug 2, 2020
SoCal
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My pioneer 1000 seating was extremely hot. I purchased a insulation kit from Design Engineering, problem solved.
Cost about $140.00. Good luck, Bob.

K

Kcarlsen3

Jun 9, 2021
CA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just went the route your are thinking with the defender and got the Defender Max Limited. It's not even a comparison. It's obviously a few bucks more, but after you have to add on the million honda accessories, the price is very close. The hard doors, power windshield, AC/heater, flip windshield AND an actual bed you can use is 100x better. Have no regrets going the defender route after having my pioneer 1000-5 for the past year. I have a family with young kids as well and your worries about it being so hot and everything are the exact reason I switched. Do it and you won't regret it!

M

Mountaincat2002

Dec 3, 2020
Greenwood, wi
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a 1000-3 have roof, windshield, back plastic/fabric enclosure instead of glass( too expensive) dust isn’t a real big issue for me and wife. As far as the heat when we first got it, boy was it hot inside cab with full windshield with no air movement. I took seat out, seat back, and loosen up panels by your legs. I went to Menards and bought reflectix. Is like bubble wrap flexible. And made for heating/cooling in houses. I went up 1/2 way of back seat down under bottom seat and part way down the panel by legs. This is super easy and popped holes where the rivets went and then Reinstalled both seats. I would say the heat is 93% less than stock. Took me about 1-1/2 hr to do it.

6B6CBA29 0381 4884 AB94 3E1BBBC632BA

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just went the route your are thinking with the defender and got the Defender Max Limited. It's not even a comparison. It's obviously a few bucks more, but after you have to add on the million honda accessories, the price is very close. The hard doors, power windshield, AC/heater, flip windshield AND an actual bed you can use is 100x better. Have no regrets going the defender route after having my pioneer 1000-5 for the past year. I have a family with young kids as well and your worries about it being so hot and everything are the exact reason I switched. Do it and you won't regret it!
But you still have a belt drive, heat is a none issue if you spend a few hundred and put a couple hours of work in, doubt that defender was only a few hundred more.

P

Peterson1000-5LE

Nov 6, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Put a back window in it. It will help quite a bit and then put one in the way back

B

BrianM

Aug 14, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I have a talon and I use the flip up SATV windshield. I need it in the mountains when it rains...almost every day. In the cold mornings it's nice down and in the warm afternoons it nice up. I've noticed a lot of heat coming up through the gear shifter slot. I used a thick sheet of silicone with a slot cut in it to help. It was maybe originally a cookie sheet hot pad to keep the counter from burning.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

But you still have a belt drive, heat is a none issue if you spend a few hundred and put a couple hours of work in, doubt that defender was only a few hundred more.
Defender = limo = no good for trails
I'm willing to bet the pioneer will go 99.99% places the Defender goes but far less the other way 🤷‍♂️ little heat and dust is normal. Everyone seems to forget these are a SxS not a Jeep

K

KimberproSS

Jul 16, 2019
Mount Vernon, IN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the Honda two piece windshield. I remove the top part in the summer and it reduces the dust significantly. The lip on the bottom portion defects the wind up to/over your head. Where I live, in the winter, it is damp enough that dust is less of an issue and I replace the windshield.

Sted1201

Sted1201

Jan 4, 2021
South Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had the same issues, it was so hot in the summer from engine heat. Get a good heat shield off ebay( same as the dealers just 1/3 the price, took off the front doors. Made a major difference.
The dust, it’s a problem that has come from you windshield causing a vacuum. Buy a 80.00 cloth back windshield, that will cut about 85% of the dust. The front doors removed also allowed more air flow which also helps. I’m on my 8th UTV, the dust is a problem with all UTV with a windshield and no back
Don’t sell that Honda, it’s the best one on the market

AD66207C FA74 47B4 BE3A 93E4C193FD52

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does your windshield open up? Get yourself the SATV flip open windshield! You can open it a little bit, or open it all the way. When riding, heat is no longer an issue until it gets to about 85 degrees F. I don't care what kind of utv you get, if you have a windshield that does not open all the way, it will be hot in summer. I like being able to close it, even in summer, if we are out riding and it starts raining. You will get soaked in a hurry if you do not have a windshield.
I put an 801 UTV windshield on mine. There are vents on the bottom that flip up and it works well.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!