P700 Letting machine idle in reverse? Bad?

Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
I installed a backup light using the plug from the site store. Works great.
I may want to use it as a work light, but of course it only turns on when in reverse and while the machine is running.

Will letting the machine idle (e brake on) while in reverse hurt the tranny? Will it overheat the oil? I'm thinking an hour or so of idle time isn't out of the question on occasion.

Reactions: Glock21user
Glock21user

Glock21user

" Nothing succeeds like excess "
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
We often let ours idle for extended periods of time in reverse when the log splitter is behind it and night falls.
No issues here.
Not a definitive just my experience.

Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
In the HondaSxS Store there is an add on. A three way switch that plugs right in. Just have to have a spot for the switch. It allows you to turn on the rear lights at any time. 😉

So there is power at that pair with the machine in Neutral/D?
(Also with the engine/key off?)

Reactions: Mudder
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
When you put a 700 "in gear", the 1st/reverse clutch doesn't even engage until you open the throttle, so I don't see why there would be any issue, though I would consider a switch (as mentioned above) for long periods.

Glock21user

Glock21user

" Nothing succeeds like excess "
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
For that length of time I'd add a simple toggle switch to the circuit.
I have a toggle switch to override power to the rear also but it has been my experience that if the light bar runs for an hour or so the charging system has to work hard to keep the 2nd battery charge up.
Running at night with factory lights, aftermarket lights and slow speeds back to the cabin in the woods it is just easier to idle for a bit off and on.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Only issue I had was letting it idle in summer heat doing chores. Maybe a coincidence but Voltage Regulator fried, as it is next to the muffler on a P500. But like said, at idle the clutch is not engaged. Second the comment on a separate switch for a work light. Pleased with some Northern Tool LED cube lights as work lights, low amp draw.

Last edited:
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
So there is power at that pair with the machine in Neutral/D?
(Also with the engine/key off?)
I don't think so.

Three way switch
On - when in reverse (You already have this circuit wired up and will be your "normal" position)
On - Just On (This would be another positive connected to the battery)
Off - I'm sure you know how this one works.

Reactions: RedHammers700
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
To clarify the kit below.
You must provide it 12v up front for the lights to work. You can choose a key-on or constant source of your liking.

Thanks.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!