P1000 Lift and gear reduction

KyRick

KyRick

Apr 23, 2017
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I plan on a modification this winter to gain some ground clearance. So far the 4" SATV Portal gears sound most appealing to get what Im looking for. I did a search on here and there doesnt seem to be much recent activity about them. How are they holding up? Pros and Cons? One comment that concerns me is the overheating issue when driving high speeds for a long time. I don't normally drive that way but there is the occasion where we hit a road for 4-5 miles between trails. I am completely stock at the time on my 17' P1k deluxe and would also like to take advantage of the gearing and clearance to increase tire size a bit. What is the max tire size I can go with portals without any other mods? Recommended tires for the southeast KY and northern Tennessee trails?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
There will be a great deal of unsprung weight that will affect your ride.

The scrub radius for the steering will be increased which can increase the possibility of steering wheel kick and you also increase during effort required.

There's the thing that you mentioned about needing to drive fast, that would be a negative if used those.

I'm not sure if this will be a problem or not, but since they make your wheel stick out so far there will be increased leverage on the a arm bushings and mounts. I have seen guys tear off the A arm mounts on these rigs and the upper a arm bolts with out using portal boxes.

The increased width can't be a negative thing in tight trails.

The portal boxes are also good for emptying your wallet!

Now with all that said, if I lived in Florida or Louisiana where there's lots of deep water and mud that I would probably be using them. But they're not much use for me in the mountains.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I forgot to say that for your type of riding I would probably use the internal gear adduction and forward arched a arms and rear arched arms in the back of the vehicle. You'll still come out cheaper and you'll have a better suspension with more ground clearance at a lower center of gravity.

That's pretty much my set up with the 30 inch tires and no IGR

Last edited:
knuckledeep

knuckledeep

my trailer queen is trashy
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2015
Eustis florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I plan on a modification this winter to gain some ground clearance. So far the 4" SATV Portal gears sound most appealing to get what Im looking for. I did a search on here and there doesnt seem to be much recent activity about them. How are they holding up? Pros and Cons? One comment that concerns me is the overheating issue when driving high speeds for a long time. I don't normally drive that way but there is the occasion where we hit a road for 4-5 miles between trails. I am completely stock at the time on my 17' P1k deluxe and would also like to take advantage of the gearing and clearance to increase tire size a bit. What is the max tire size I can go with portals without any other mods? Recommended tires for the southeast KY and northern Tennessee trails?

why not do 3 in lift with arched a arms and internal gear reduction then you will get more clearance and have the reduction you want and it will save you prob 1000 or more

K

Kolton

Oct 15, 2016
Vance, al
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Who sells the igr?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Who sells the igr?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Good question! A friend down the road 30 minutes has one on his P1000. It's awesome!

I don't know who sells them. I will get one some day when funds and time allow.

Reactions: Kolton and Landman
knuckledeep

knuckledeep

my trailer queen is trashy
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2015
Eustis florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Cost is $850 for parts, machining services and return shipping
Requires Clutch Gear Hub and Rear Cover Spacer to be removed and mailed to Mt Olive, North Carolina for work. 1 week turn around time.

Install Service
Machine can also be delivered to Mt Olive, NC for complete install.
Additional install cost is $500 plus oil.

Ordering Info, Install Details:
Contact Jeremy at [email protected] or 919-222-8969 (leave message).

Reactions: pct and Landman
KyRick

KyRick

Apr 23, 2017
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I forgot to say that for your type of riding I would probably use the internal gear adduction and forward arched a arms and rear arched arms in the back of the vehicle. You'll still come out cheaper and you'll have a better suspension with more ground clearance at a lower center of gravity.

That's pretty much my set up with the 30 inch tires and no IGR

How much total lift did that setup give you?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
How much total lift did that setup give you?

I'm running adjustable Elka stage 3 shocks with preload set to give about 2" of lift over stock.

Reactions: pct

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!