Lift kit comparison

S

Smaine

Jan 28, 2016
Iowa
Hi all, I currently have a 14' rancher 4x4, 12' rzr s and a list of floater toys as I live on a river. My kids are now out of school so looking to go to sell the rzr and buy the p5 in camo or silver. My question is which 2" lift to go with. I am not looking for installing much bigger tires than stock, but like the looks and ground clearance. What are the benefits of bracket vs suspension lifts? Does one offer more wheel travel? Is one easier on stock drivetrain? Is one more durable? Thanks in advance everyone.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I like the strong made lift. It's very strong and cheap.

I haven't seen a kit that offers more travel. If you see one, please let us know.

As for harming the drivetrain, just stay with a good name brand and max out at 3".

Reactions: pct
S

Smaine

Jan 28, 2016
Iowa

I haven't seen a kit that offers more travel. If you see one, please let us know.

As for harming the drivetrain, just stay with a good name brand and max out at 3".
Thanks f

Thanks for the quick reply! Is there really any advantage of the suspension lift other than forward angled or upward bent a-arms?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The only advantage of the forward arms are clearance for true 30" tires.

The arched arms are better for ground clearance.

Other than that, I don't thing there is an advantage over a standard bracket lift. The bracket lift has the advantage of being a lot cheaper.

S

Smaine

Jan 28, 2016
Iowa
The only advantage of the forward arms are clearance for true 30" tires.

The arched arms are better for ground clearance.

Other than that, I don't thing there is an advantage over a standard bracket lift. The bracket lift has the advantage of being a lot cheaper.
Thanks again. And sorry for the partial post. Coffee was hot and accidentally hit send setting the phone down.

Reactions: pct
M

Marine660

Club Contributor
Dec 12, 2015
I too am considering a lift for added ground clearance. I don't drive fast (max ~40MPH) and like to creep through roots, rocks, and mud. One system I am waiting on would be a portal lift. There are many companies that currently produce these for UTV's (superatv, sxsgear, etc...). There are many pros and cons to a system like this and it would depend on how you intend to use your UTV.

Here are my thoughts on pros/cons (please feel free to add to this):

Pros:
1.) No binding on bearings or increased angles on axles
2.) 30% gear reduction for a lower crawl ratio
3.) 4" of increased ground clearance
4.) Added width for side hill stability and staying out of ruts

Cons:
1.) Added width (restricts for some trails)
2.) Could effect high speed trail riding (unsprung weight)
3.) Cost, these are not cheap (~$2,500 - $3,200)

In my opinion, if you want a lower gearing and don't do the fast trail riding and have some disposable income then the portal lift seems to be much better. However, if you just want a slight lift (1-2") and are fine with the gearing then something like a strongmade bracket lift should be fine. Although, a member on here tried the strong made lift with 30's and it didn't fit without modification to the plastic. So, you would need to stay in the 28-29" tire size range with this type of lift.