P1000 Lift without going overboard

B

bldmtnrider

Jan 8, 2021
Longmont, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got back from a Moab trip and wasn't planning to do any suspension work but now I'm debating it. I BEAT THE $#!T out of my skid plate.

Catch is I really don't want to go overboard and risk other mechanical breakdowns. I've already got the SATV frame stiffener in place, question is what are reasonable next steps:

1) Forward offset a-arms and a larger tire? If so any good brands out side of SATV?
2) Small lift and a 28" tire
3) Quit complaining, the skid plate is there for a reason.

Outside of a trip or 2 per year to Moab all of my riding is in Colorado Mountains. No mud to speak of but plenty of rocks.

B

bldmtnrider

Jan 8, 2021
Longmont, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You didn't say what you have now for tires? or the skid plate?

Just go with the SATV front arms and 28/29" tires and a good skid plate.
Most lift kits on the market are too much in my opinion.
I’ve got the stock wheels (150 miles on a 2021) and a SATV skid plate. Don’t want to turn this into a SATV thread but I am kind of over buying from that company. Great fabricators but they really need to listen to their customers and fix those stupid slot locations. Would rather try another supplier.

I am leaning toward arms and 30”. At what point on tires do you guys see a need to go to portals? Already get a little DCT bogging while crawling, don’t want to make it worse with bigger tires.

Isaiah

Isaiah

Dec 30, 2019
Altamont TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve got the stock wheels (150 miles on a 2021) and a SATV skid plate. Don’t want to turn this into a SATV thread but I am kind of over buying from that company. Great fabricators but they really need to listen to their customers and fix those stupid slot locations. Would rather try another supplier.

I am leaning toward arms and 30”. At what point on tires do you guys see a need to go to portals? Already get a little DCT bogging while crawling, don’t want to make it worse with bigger tires.
There is a few different companies that make A arms for the pioneers. C-fab, Texas tough customs, highlifter are all good A arms

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I would avoid lift kits personally. The arched a-arms are way nicer.

A full 1/2” thick plastic skid plate will also do wonders.

With bigger tires and a-arms you are just going to find bigger rocks. :)

Really, you need both, but I would do the skid plate first. ;)

advertisement
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I'll put it like this... If I were to start all over today with a Pioneer:

Skid plate
Snorkel
PV3/tune
Forward arms
Rear arms
True 30" tires
Shocks

In that order

A

AZdonW

Sep 6, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

Are you saying the SATV skid plate slots don't line up with the oil drain plugs? Thinking about buying those.

Reactions: Lady01
B

bldmtnrider

Jan 8, 2021
Longmont, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nah, skid plate was fine except I will be removing to enlarge the holes for the oil drain. Messy job. Probably wasn’t clear but the frame stiffener slots do not line up with the threaded holes in the bottom of the frame. A few reviews about it and you can even see it in the photos on their website.

if I had to do the skid plate over I would probably buy the one that you don’t have to drill a bunch of holes in your frame, but honestly the SATV skid has been fine so far.

Reactions: Lady01 and Isaiah
A

AZdonW

Sep 6, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Nah, skid plate was fine except I will be removing to enlarge the holes for the oil drain. Messy job. Probably wasn’t clear but the frame stiffener slots do not line up with the threaded holes in the bottom of the frame. A few reviews about it and you can even see it in the photos on their website.

if I had to do the skid plate over I would probably buy the one that you don’t have to drill a bunch of holes in your frame, but honestly the SATV skid has been fine so far.
Okay, thanks. Which one is that? The Factory UTV only has three pieces, but the center is one piece all across...but I still think you have to drill a bunch of holes.

Soaz1000

Soaz1000

Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2018
Soaz
Ownership

1. 1000-5
With the Factory UTV skids you will have to drill and tap alot of holes. If I had to do it all over again I would have enlarged the drain holes before installing. I'll do that sometime in the future. Good skid plates and the company was good dealing with over the phone. If you don't have away to lift your machine get some help. It's a job doing it by yourself laying on the concrete.

Last edited:
A

AZdonW

Sep 6, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
With the Factory UTV skids you will have to drill and tap alot of holes. If I had to do it all over again I would have enlarged the drain holes before installing. I'll do that sometime in the future. Good skid plates and the comany was good dealing with over the phone. If you don't have away to lift your machine get some help. It's a job doing it by yourself laying on the concrete.
I have a winch and a tree in the back yard. Maybe I could wench it up.
I've been torn between the Factory UTV and the SATV, but with the forum discount, the SATV one is about $600 shipped, I believe. Hard to justify a couple hundred more.

Soaz1000

Soaz1000

Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2018
Soaz
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine was more I got the A arm guards also. Anything is better than what comes with the machine.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!