Talon Light bar wiring question

C

Ctrain

Sep 2, 2019
Mi
Ownership

1. Talon R
How is everyone wiring their light bar with the OEM Honda switch panel? Most light bars I'm looking at pull about 15a will the OEM switch panel handle that many amps?

SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I don’t have the oem panel but assuming you are using a wiring harness with a relay for your light bar - you wire the main light power direct to positive at the battery or use the winch power wires that are pre installed from Honda. Then wire the switch to accessory power in your panel. This places the amp draw on the direct power through the harness fuse and relay and not through your panel or accessory bus bar with limited amp capacity. It also keeps the switch light from being on all the time and will operate when the key is on. You might need to separate the main and switch power wires In your harness as some of the amazon/ eBay harnesses wire them together. There are other ways of doing it but this keeps the amps on the harness fuses and not stacking relays.

Last edited:
PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
You don't "have" to add a switch if you wire it into the wiring harness for the bright light switch. But like SpeedBuggy said you will want to use a relay. I'm assuming you are going to take the stock wire Honda provides for the battery power under the dash. You may want to consider the XTC kit that gives you a busbar/relay and plug to give you a place to power all your accessories. If you use a relay the switch will only handle the power to "trigger" the relay. The power for the light bar will come off the wire from the battery. If you want to use the stock switch you will need to take the trigger wire from the relay and plug it in between the connection that is on the frame by the front of the machine. I can post a picture if you want to do it that way. I've done that on the last 4 machines I've owned as I don't need my light bar on unless my brights are on. And it avoids adding a switch.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
You don't "have" to add a switch if you wire it into the wiring harness for the bright light switch. But like SpeedBuggy said you will want to use a relay. I'm assuming you are going to take the stock wire Honda provides for the battery power under the dash. You may want to consider the XTC kit that gives you a busbar/relay and plug to give you a place to power all your accessories. If you use a relay the switch will only handle the power to "trigger" the relay. The power for the light bar will come off the wire from the battery. If you want to use the stock switch you will need to take the trigger wire from the relay and plug it in between the connection that is on the frame by the front of the machine. I can post a picture if you want to do it that way. I've done that on the last 4 machines I've owned as I don't need my light bar on unless my brights are on. And it avoids adding a switch.
Is this wire always hot or switched and where is it/color? I want to add a VM and don't want it key switched, I'll add one so I can see battery voltage without the system being on. Anyone - is there a conveniently accessible, always hot power source in the dash?

Service manuals are backordered so I don't have one.

Reactions: Glock21user
Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Is this wire always hot or switched and where is it/color? I want to add a VM and don't want it key switched, I'll add one so I can see battery voltage without the system being on. Anyone - is there a conveniently accessible, always hot power source in the dash?

Service manuals are backordered so I don't have one.

There is a heavy gauge wire that's intended to be used for powering a winch relay that runs back to the battery. It is not connected from the factory, you'll have to connect it on the battery end. It's tucked in there and the lug is wrapped in blue tape. Once you connect the battery end you now have a direct constant 12v feed to use for your wiring needs. The other end of the wire is under the hood on the drivers side and located right behind that firewall cover you installed. You'll have to remove the plastic body panel that runs horizontally closest to the firewall to access the wire. I believe it's zip tied to the frame, it's red and has the same blue tape on the end covering the lug. I should have taken pictures when I was in there as this is good info to add to your "new to Talon" thread. Hint. ;)

SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
There is a heavy gauge wire that's intended to be used for powering a winch relay that runs back to the battery. It is not connected from the factory, you'll have to connect it on the battery end. It's tucked in there and the lug is wrapped in blue tape. Once you connect the battery end you now have a direct constant 12v feed to use for your wiring needs. The other end of the wire is under the hood on the drivers side and located right behind that firewall cover you installed. You'll have to remove the plastic body panel that runs horizontally closest to the firewall to access the wire. I believe it's zip tied to the frame, it's red and has the same blue tape on the end covering the lug. I should have taken pictures when I was in there as this is good info to add to your "new to Talon" thread. Hint. ;)
If you go to the winch wiring instructions on the honda accessories web site it shows you exactly where the wire is under the cowl. I used the XTC bus bar and it provides a keyed and direct post for accessories.

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
If you go to the winch wiring instructions on the honda accessories web site it shows you exactly where the wire is under the cowl. I used the XTC bus bar and it provides a keyed and direct post for accessories.

I forgot about the accessory instructions, that's a good way to get familiar with how/where things are/go. @HondaTech was kind enough to post all of the Honda accessory installation instructions in one place. Honda Talon 1000 Accessory Installation Instructions

Reactions: CID and Glock21user
PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Steve and SpeedBuggy are right on. The wire your looking for is on the drivers side, blue tape on it. But you need to connect the end behind the battery, also warped in blue tape, and connect it to the positive battery post. Like posted, buying that XTC wiring harness is a easy way to give you access to the Hot from the battery, and a hot from the keyed ignition, plus you can add a ground. The XTC harness also includes a relay so your keyed ignition hot has plenty of amps to run other accessories. But I'd personalty use a relay for any accessory, but you have the power, ground and keyed ignition all in one place with the XTC set up.

Reactions: CID and Lil_Steve
Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
For reference here's the XTC accessory being discussed. Honda Talon Plug & Play™ Keyed Busbar Accessory Out 35 AMP

Rsw600h600

Reactions: PhilCod and CID
SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Thats the one. If you have a street legal kit you will probably need the Y adapter to tie in to the factory wiring. It stopped me in my tracks the first go around. I installed my relays to the direct post to avoid stacking them and it gives you the full amperage on the XTC keyed accessory post if you plan on installing high draw accessories like a heater or big stereo.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!