P1000 Lithium Batteries

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just ordered this battery for my second one.

NOCO
That can deliver 700 amps for starting . . . and would make a good starting or primary battery maybe. However, it's only 7 amp hour rated, meaning if you use it to run a winch, you won't be winching for long with much of a load.

7 AH will give you 7 amps for one hour. 14 amps for 30 minutes, etc. 112 amps for 3.75 minutes, and 224 amps for less than 2 minutes. With a 4,500 lb winch at capacity, your talking a couple of minutes. Of course most winch use will not be at max capacity. Still, with any serious winching, a 7 amp hour battery is not much.

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
That can deliver 700 amps for starting . . . and would make a good starting or primary battery maybe. However, it's only 7 amp hour rated, meaning if you use it to run a winch, you won't be winching for long with much of a load.

7 AH will give you 7 amps for one hour. 14 amps for 30 minutes, etc. 112 amps for 3.75 minutes, and 224 amps for less than 2 minutes. With a 4,500 lb winch at capacity, your talking a couple of minutes. Of course most winch use will not be at max capacity. Still, with any serious winching, a 7 amp hour battery is not much.
Would an AGM be a better choice?

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Would an AGM be a better choice?

Not necessarily, but a battery with a higher amp hour rating would be! T link below is the AGM I happened to use and is used by a number of owners here. It's 30 amp hour rated, or about four times more than the lithium battery you mentioned. However, that isn't the whole story. In the interest of accuracy, a lithium battery can deliver almost all its capacity and maintains it's voltage during discharge much better than a lead acid. So generally speaking, a similar sized lithium is going to deliver more energy and have a longer useful life than a lead acid. True makes a model of their battery isolator that allows you to use both a lead acid main battery and a lithium aux. BTW, a LiFePO4 (lithium ferrous phosphate) battery is significantly safer than a lithium ion or lipoly etc.

M

mpilihp

Aug 13, 2021
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
Even a 30Ah battery is small if you intend to use a winch. I use a group 24 Marine battery and kept charged they will last a long time. Last one lasted 6 years and is used heavily for plowing in the winter and getting unstuck in the summer occasionally.

Phil

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Even a 30Ah battery is small if you intend to use a winch. I use a group 24 Marine battery and kept charged they will last a long time. Last one lasted 6 years and is used heavily for plowing in the winter and getting unstuck in the summer occasionally.

Phil

I'll be adding one somewhere. There's a spot under the bed I think will work. I can build a bracket and put one there. My buggy has a heater under the seat that is pretty much worthless without a full cab. I'm going to remove it and use that space for storage.

Reactions: Lady01