Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I bought a trailer last year at a yard sale, $250. Was made from the smallest Harbor Freight trailer they make, 870 lb. capacity, bed is 40" x 48". He had a car top carrier mounted to it and said he pulled it behind a corvette. I thought it would make a cool little trailer for hauling gear behind the P5. When I first posted a pic, someone, @Alan I think, said that thing is going to get you stuck. First time out, it almost did in a mud hole. Needed more clearance and I was worried the road tires wouldn't hold up very long on the trail. The next issue was the carrier, small and light but not very big and made out of plastic, rated to carry 100 lbs. My concern was having it full of gear, pulling it up a bouncy hill and having it crack and turn loose. Plus I had three coats of paint on it, made to resemble a Rattle for the Serpent, and it would chip and flake just looking at it. The Rattle

Being an old carpenter, and not a metal fabricator, I decided to go with wood framing and wrap it with diamond plate, like I did for the tool box and bed. 2"x 2" 's and 1/2" ply. The good stuff, sanded 5 ply. Every screw was drilled and counter sunk, every joint glued and screwed. Could've gotten creative with doors, cubby's and pull out stuff but stayed mindful of being water tight. No matter how cool it looks, if it leaks, it's worthless. Closest thing to what I wanted that could be bought was the Bosski ATV Wagon. $1400 to $1600.
So, this is the result. Still needs to be Line X 'd to match the bed. Figure I have about $700 total into it now.Toad Latches
6"x 10" wheels, 1" spacers, 23x7x10 6 ply tires. Track width is at 56 3/8", P5 is at 53 3/4". Couldn't get it any tighter than that. Ground clearance is 10 3/4", P5 is at 10 1/2". Hoping it won't get me stuck now.
Toad Inside P5 and Toad

Doesn't resemble a rattle too much anymore so had to give him a new name. Figured I would stick with the swamp critter theme. Toad Sign

ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
well done.
A good waterproofing material is Schluter Ditra or even Mapei Aqua defence. Ones a fabric one a paint. The paint stuff is like pudding and dries like rubber. Its used to waterproof steam showers and trust me , you paint the inside of a cardboard box and you can use it as a cooler. The actually have one set up as a cooler at one of the manufactures training facilities

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I bought a trailer last year at a yard sale, $250. Was made from the smallest Harbor Freight trailer they make, 870 lb. capacity, bed is 40" x 48". He had a car top carrier mounted to it and said he pulled it behind a corvette. I thought it would make a cool little trailer for hauling gear behind the P5. When I first posted a pic, someone, @Alan I think, said that thing is going to get you stuck. First time out, it almost did in a mud hole. Needed more clearance and I was worried the road tires wouldn't hold up very long on the trail. The next issue was the carrier, small and light but not very big and made out of plastic, rated to carry 100 lbs. My concern was having it full of gear, pulling it up a bouncy hill and having it crack and turn loose. Plus I had three coats of paint on it, made to resemble a Rattle for the Serpent, and it would chip and flake just looking at it. View attachment 38911

Being an old carpenter, and not a metal fabricator, I decided to go with wood framing and wrap it with diamond plate, like I did for the tool box and bed. 2"x 2" 's and 1/2" ply. The good stuff, sanded 5 ply. Every screw was drilled and counter sunk, every joint glued and screwed. Could've gotten creative with doors, cubby's and pull out stuff but stayed mindful of being water tight. No matter how cool it looks, if it leaks, it's worthless. Closest thing to what I wanted that could be bought was the Bosski ATV Wagon. $1400 to $1600.
So, this is the result. Still needs to be Line X 'd to match the bed. Figure I have about $700 total into it now.View attachment 38913
6"x 10" wheels, 1" spacers, 23x7x10 6 ply tires. Track width is at 56 3/8", P5 is at 53 3/4". Couldn't get it any tighter than that. Ground clearance is 10 3/4", P5 is at 10 1/2". Hoping it won't get me stuck now.
View attachment 38914 View attachment 38915

Doesn't resemble a rattle too much anymore so had to give him a new name. Figured I would stick with the swamp critter theme. View attachment 38916

Much much better nice job Trigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Reactions: Dp5hunter
Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Looks really good. If you shoot the inside with bed Linner it can help with waterproofing the wood and keeps the rattles and bump down a bit.
Nice work!

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought a trailer last year at a yard sale, $250. Was made from the smallest Harbor Freight trailer they make, 870 lb. capacity, bed is 40" x 48". He had a car top carrier mounted to it and said he pulled it behind a corvette. I thought it would make a cool little trailer for hauling gear behind the P5. When I first posted a pic, someone, @Alan I think, said that thing is going to get you stuck. First time out, it almost did in a mud hole. Needed more clearance and I was worried the road tires wouldn't hold up very long on the trail. The next issue was the carrier, small and light but not very big and made out of plastic, rated to carry 100 lbs. My concern was having it full of gear, pulling it up a bouncy hill and having it crack and turn loose. Plus I had three coats of paint on it, made to resemble a Rattle for the Serpent, and it would chip and flake just looking at it. View attachment 38911

So, this is the result. Still needs to be Line X 'd to match the bed. Figure I have about $700 total into it now.View attachment 38913

Doesn't resemble a rattle too much anymore so had to give him a new name. Figured I would stick with the swamp critter theme. View attachment 38916

Looks awesome.

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5

That's pretty cool. Good job!

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Considering something similar with a tent on top and just enough capacity(total weight) to carry 5-10 gallons of gas and water along with a food and tools.

Keep the weight off the Pioneer suspension and leave room for fam in seats. Maybe tall skinny tires?

I want to do some long rides without having to return to camp every night.

lonewolf

lonewolf

Jan 19, 2017
Louisiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Looks like it came out really nice! You did a great job!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

Love it brother! Did you buy a whole sheet of diamond plate?

C

Chooglin

Great work , I like it much more than the original.....It has that "safari" look to it !

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Love it brother! Did you buy a whole sheet of diamond plate?

Thanks again guys. :)

Two sheets of diamond plate actually, and that sh**'s expensive! Went with the black painted stuff, didn't know it would be so glossy, so the raw aluminum wouldn't have to be prepped before Line X. The sides took up one sheet, the top was half of the other, so I have a half sheet left.

I've seen the ones with the tent on top, don't know how much room they take up when packed away though? It won't always be for camping, wanted to haul enough gear for a full day of riding for 4 to 6 people. Chairs, tables, canopies...a little grill...party on wheels. :cool:

The metal cladding should protect the ply, corners are wrapped and all edges sealed with silicone behind and surface caulked with Siding Pro. Line X should ensure the seal. Caulked and rattle canned the inside with primer and gloss paint. Top overhangs the sides 1/2" and installed a marine rubber seal. The four latches hold the top tight...we'll see. o_O
Trailer Raw Had this one on my phone.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Thanks again guys. :)

Two sheets of diamond plate actually, and that sh**'s expensive! Went with the black painted stuff, didn't know it would be so glossy, so the raw aluminum wouldn't have to be prepped before Line X. The sides took up one sheet, the top was half of the other, so I have a half sheet left.

I've seen the ones with the tent on top, don't know how much room they take up when packed away though? It won't always be for camping, wanted to haul enough gear for a full day of riding for 4 to 6 people. Chairs, tables, canopies...a little grill...party on wheels. :cool:

The metal cladding should protect the ply, corners are wrapped and all edges sealed with silicone behind and surface caulked with Siding Pro. Line X should ensure the seal. Caulked and rattle canned the inside with primer and gloss paint. Top overhangs the sides 1/2" and installed a marine rubber seal. The four latches hold the top tight...we'll see. o_O
View attachment 38938 Had this one on my phone.
Aluminum right. It looks like it's bent at the top of the sides to wrap over the 2x2 frame some. If so, how'd you bend that, do you have a brake?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Aluminum right. It looks like it's bent at the top of the sides to wrap over the 2x2 frame some. If so, how'd you bend that, do you have a brake?

Lol... you are observant aren't you? ;)
Yep, wrapped the top to cover that seam between the ply and 2x2. I do own a brake, for doing aluminum wrapped trim on houses. The stuff I used was .025 aluminum, thin and relatively easy to cut and bend. Used the thicker stuff when I did the skidplate and it proved to be a pita. Being diamond plate makes it a little harder though, more rigid.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Lol... you are observant aren't you? ;)
Yep, wrapped the top to cover that seam between the ply and 2x2. I do own a brake, for doing aluminum wrapped trim on houses. The stuff I used was .025 aluminum, thin and relatively easy to cut and bend. Used the thicker stuff when I did the skidplate and it proved to be a pita. Being diamond plate makes it a little harder though, more rigid.
Nice. Looks like a well planed and executed project, the water proofing measures sound like you have ample protection. That should be a useful trail tool that provides you with years of enjoyment. :cool:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!