P500 Loading a P5 into the bed of a truck?

M

mitchell

Jul 26, 2015
Ok I know it is possible to load it in the bed of a truck. Has anyone done it? I have ramps but I feel like they are pretty short so driving the P5 up the ramps into the bed of my truck makes me a little uneasy!

Has anyone figured out another way? I have considered winching it into the bed of my truck but I would need some sort of anchor to hook too any ideas, or can someone speak from experience?

ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Ok I know it is possible to load it in the bed of a truck. Has anyone done it? I have ramps but I feel like they are pretty short so driving the P5 up the ramps into the bed of my truck makes me a little uneasy!

Has anyone figured out another way? I have considered winching it into the bed of my truck but I would need some sort of anchor to hook too any ideas, or can someone speak from experience?
check the toy hauler thread and one guy actually has his on top of the bed. Crazy!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

I use these 90" ramps they are 64" wide but fold to 22" wide and hold 2100 lbs for even a big SxS.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1015/48879/RevArc-HD-UTV-Ramp?term=rev arc ramps

GAS

GAS

Aug 15, 2015

One of the main reasons I bought the p5 was because it can fit in the truck but it is a little sketchy. I use a foldable ramp that I cut the hinges off of to make it two ramps. I would just drive it up in 4 wheel low. Silverado 1500 stock hight. I have rammed the front of the bed a few times... It's a little bowed bc of it. I trailer it now. I was nervous every time I drove it in.

A

alejes02

Aug 13, 2015

I bought the P500 just because I can put it in my short bed Ram 2500. I bought a pair of Highland 90" ramps off of Amazon and some good tie-downs, and she's good to go. Not sketchy at all. All you have to do is put in 4 wheel drive, make sure your ramps are lined up properly (and secured to your hitch via a strap) and you're good to go. Very easy and secure.

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I bought the P500 just because I can put it in my short bed Ram 2500. I bought a pair of Highland 90" ramps off of Amazon and some good tie-downs, and she's good to go. Not sketchy at all. All you have to do is put in 4 wheel drive, make sure your ramps are lined up properly (and secured to your hitch via a strap) and you're good to go. Very easy and secure.
Yep, load my in a 2500 Ram 4x4 on 34's without any issues. Just make sure the ramps are secured and go up in 4x4 1st gear. Not as bad as it looks really

DK54

DK54

Aug 28, 2015
North Texas
Ownership

1. 500
I loaded my p500 into my bed 2004 extended cab GMC sierra 4x4 1500 and it fit perfectly fine getting up the ramps was a little hairy but you have to just close your eyes trust your instincts and go. JK don't do that put it in 4wheel and low and it should crawl right up. My bed is 101 inches with tailgate down so it fits perfectly the only thing I worry about is putting that much weight on my tailgate. I was told to put some 2x6's that run the length of the bed to distribute the weight a little better but have not tried it yet. It also squatted my truck pretty good, enough to make me nervous going very fast on any back roads with lots of dips and bumps and what not. If you have the luxury of an small 8 foot trailer I say that is probably the best option at least for me and my piece of mind.

Reactions: 13_xxc
Rex Herring

Rex Herring

Apr 24, 2015
Dickinson, ND
I have an aluminum folding ramp, no problem in two wheel drive to load it. This was my first picture just to see how it fit. I have since, when hauling it, added 8 foot 2X8's made from three layers of 3/4 inch plywood glued and screwed under each set of wheels to keep the weight off of the tailgate. Also added extra 500lb straps to the tailgate.

P500 zpsezgaqqdg

P500ramp zpsdiodlgqo

CptOvo

CptOvo

Sep 20, 2015
Canada, Alberta
Ownership

1. 500
I thought I'd share my video about how I load my P500 in my F150 6.5ft box.

I picked my new machine up last week.

I would never trust the truck tailgate with a UTV on it. It will bend it eventually and can even snap the support cables. I've seen it.

The design allows me to pull a travel trailer too.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Thanks

Ovo

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Great video @CptOvo, well done. Not to mention the custom ramp.
You made it look like a breeze to load this P5. Lol.

Reactions: JACKAL
advertisement
sxsinks

sxsinks

Nov 16, 2015
Middle Midwest
Long and wide ramps take the uneasiness out of it. My 17 year old jumps it right on in there. I go a little slower but with no concerns. I would reinforce the tailgate cables.
Loaded in my 3/4 ton long bed with the dog box

20151111 121329

Sxsnewbie

Sxsnewbie

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2015
Eastern Connecticut
I use a couple 2x12 to help support my tailgate. Run them the length of the wheel base on the P5 to distribute the weight.
Fits in a f150 crew cab with short bed.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

I load mine regularly (3-4 times a month) in the truck bed, after all, it's the primary reason that I have the 500 and not the 700. I use the more expensive longer and arched ramps into a Z71 HD which is very high off the ground. No problems whatsoever. Of course use 4 low, and always good to have someone watching if possible. Also, whenever possible, back the rear wheels of the truck into a ditch or depression. I don't think you'll have any problems, good luck. Oh, one more tip. Put blocks at the front tires to hold the front guard back away from the bed box. I didn't the first time and buggered up the bed box pretty bad.

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
Frisco

Frisco

Jan 15, 2016
San Francisco, CA
Ownership

1. 500
For anyone wondering if the Ram Boxes on a Dodge 1500 would cause a problem loading- (Like I was before I bought my P500). No problem....I also bought those tail gait supports you linked- Thanks @JACKAL They work great.

20160123 154730 1 20160123 154751 1

Reactions: Montecresto
D

Deleted member 3748

I considered winching it into my F150 and thought I could anchor it by putting a piece of chain between my front lower tie down hooks. The hooks are low in the bed and close to the cab. SHould be able to get it almost all the way in there. But after seeing everyone's post, I'll probably just drive it up there.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!