P500 Loading a P5 into the bed of a truck?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I considered winching it into my F150 and thought I could anchor it by putting a piece of chain between my front lower tie down hooks. The hooks are low in the bed and close to the cab. SHould be able to get it almost all the way in there. But after seeing everyone's post, I'll probably just drive it up there.
It's a piece of cake, particularly if you have the long curved ramps, even better if you have an area to back up against that's a little higher.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
The other thing I like about my ramps is I can use them outside the truck to do work on my P500. :)Hi Ovo, just joined the forum but have had my eye on this. Wondering why you went as high as you did? Looks like you were trying to get over the wheel wells. Was that so you could use the same rig to load a wider machine or for more storage underneath?

Ramps.jpg

Thanks

Ovo

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Hi Ovo, just joined the forum but have had my eye on this. Wondering why you went as high as you did? Looks like you were trying to get over the wheel wells. Was that so you get use the same rig to load a wider machine or for more storage underneath?

Last edited by a moderator:
CptOvo

CptOvo

Sep 20, 2015
Canada, Alberta
Ownership

1. 500
Hi Ovo, just joined the forum but have had my eye on this. Wondering why you went as high as you did? Looks like you were trying to get over the wheel wells. Was that so you get use the same rig to load a wider machine or for more storage underneath?

Originally it was to accommodate the short box truck I had (F150 6.5ft box) to shorten the overall length. The P500 will drive easily between the wheel wells on all full size pickups. Hope that helps.

Ovo

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Like @JACKAL mentioned, I'm glad to have bought the DG tailgate supports, 3 size package for tailgate tilt when taking an atv along with trailered P500. Peace of mind that stuff won't roll out. Would not trust cables alone as mine were rusted thru once and replaced.

Reactions: trigger and JACKAL
M

Macanudo

Apr 27, 2017
Utah
Ownership

1. 500
As I loaded my 500 in the back of my f-350 I nudged the wheel well a bit with the passenger side front tire of the 500, I think I must have given it a little gas to go over it, it is kind of a blur. I was in 2wd, and the back wheels threw the ramp off the tailgate, I had it attached with some cam straps that came with the ramp (extra long tri fold ramp). One cam strap broke and I unintentionally unloaded my 500 the scary way. Muddy side stayed down and no one was any worse for the wear. Except for the small round hole in the drivers seat. I use a trailer now. Going up in 4wd might have saved me some anxiety, I don't know.

Reactions: Rustell
Richd

Richd

Jul 15, 2017
Vallejo,CA
Ownership

1. 500
IMG 0822
On my old Dodge truck you can easily drop the tail gate right onto the top of the Barton Bumper. I use the 6' Harbor Freight aluminum ramps that come with securing chains. I set them on top of the bumper and secure with the chains, then drop the tail gate onto the top of the ramps. Of course my truck is old (1960) and the tail gate is already in rough shape. This method decreases the angle of the ramps a lot. I've also been eyeing the tow dolly I have with the idea to modify it for hauling the P500 behind my Motorhome. I'll probably have to make it street legal to use a tow dolly though.
Rich

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
As I loaded my 500 in the back of my f-350 I nudged the wheel well a bit with the passenger side front tire of the 500, I think I must have given it a little gas to go over it, it is kind of a blur. I was in 2wd, and the back wheels threw the ramp off the tailgate, I had it attached with some cam straps that came with the ramp (extra long tri fold ramp). One cam strap broke and I unintentionally unloaded my 500 the scary way. Muddy side stayed down and no one was any worse for the wear. Except for the small round hole in the drivers seat. I use a trailer now. Going up in 4wd might have saved me some anxiety, I don't know.

Wow. That's never good. I load into the truck about half the time and I have it in 4WD. I didnt think those cam straps would break...yikes!

advertisement
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
@Richd , a solid looking classic truck, unique bed, a keeper for sure! Good pic.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That was 18 mos. ago...thanks though.
Hey Trigger you still trying to get back to camp in your P5, everyone else that rides P1's has been sleeping in there home bed for a week! HA! JUST KIDDING! Give me some poop back!

Reactions: trigger

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!