• Welcome to HONDASXS.com

If you are a guest please take time to REGISTER with us. Stay up to date on the Honda Side by Side line and take part in our online forum. Check out the FAQ. Once you register you can start to make post. Users will respond to your question or statement. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit below or click the board index to see a list of all forums. Thanks and have fun.

Talon Look what just arrived

Discussion in 'Talon 1000 Accessories and Modifications' started by Jamie-in-WV, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Jamie-in-WV

Jamie-in-WV Member
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    IMG_0139.JPG Just arrived by my postman.......he was none to happy getting this out of his mail truck and he also had a 1000 rounds of 9mm ammo at 40 lbs. he is glad I no longer sell lead for bullet casting. When UPSP use to sell flat shipping charge and advertised if it fits we will ship it for $9.99 after about 10 boxes of that with lead in it I was his least favorite customer.
    But anyway I got this Warn Axon 5500S winch from Amazon Warehouse deal for $487.00 shipped free, because the cardboard box was tore, they sell them for $637 regular so I took a chance, I've had good luck with their warehouse deals on tools also.
    It of course is going on the Talon R

2. JimmyTalon

JimmyTalon Active Member
    Supporting Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    VaHillbilly and Mopower58 like this.
  3. Jamie-in-WV

Jamie-in-WV Member
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    I don't think it weighs over 30-35 lbs, my local dealer has the mount for it, I'm going to go and look at it and compare it to fabbing one up. I get a discount on parts but $200 is still a lot of money for just a 1/4" mounting plate.

VaHillbilly likes this.
  4. HondaTech

HondaTech Working For Mother Honda!!
    Lifetime Member Club Contributor

We mounted 1 of these with the Honda mount. Took some cutting/drilling on the mount, but it fit.

VaHillbilly likes this.
  5. wrighteous

wrighteous Active Member

Any updates on this install I just ordered one

VaHillbilly likes this.
  6. alloutdoors

alloutdoors Well-Known Member

Ownership:
    Great score. I just got some 9mm myself and look burning through some soon with Bob Vogel using my CZ
    Tactical Orange Sport

cz orange.jpg

7. Jamie-in-WV

Jamie-in-WV Member
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    It being Easter and my daughter and son in law and granddaughter (age 2) are here so I put up a swing set with large slide and castle for the granddaughter and took a day and a half away from my install. (10 million pieces) But I hope this evening to get it mounted.
    And on the ammo subject I have 6 or so 9mm pistols but I bought a db9 9mm ar carbine and by far as much fun you can have shooting a 9mm, but 33 round magazine you can eat up a bunch of ammo quick.

VaHillbilly and Plumber32 like this.
  8. Jamie-in-WV

Jamie-in-WV Member
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    IMG_0229.JPG Why would any mounting plate not have all bolt patterns for every winch configurations,after removing bull bumper from front, and after figuring where the mounting holes are for the axon winch I drilled out the Honda mounting plate (all four holes) 3/8" drill bit. The mount that comes from Honda feels cumbersome at first but after a few four letter words and bolting it together and test fit it it works with everything lining up ok.
    IMG_0142.JPG IMG_0143.JPG IMG_0144.JPG
    After a couple adult refreshing suds, and looking at the bolts sent to bolt winch to plate I need to paint them black, they look galvanized in color, so after couple hours work this evening I'm done, will continue tomorrow will work on wiring then.

9. Plumber32

Plumber32 I4wd, never heard of her!
    Lifetime Member Club Contributor

Ownership:
    1000-5
    Love my axiom. That's a great price!

Mopower58 likes this.
  10. Jamie-in-WV

Jamie-in-WV Member
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    image.jpg IMG_0238.JPG IMG_0236.JPG IMG_0235.JPG Well finally finished the Axon 5500S winch install, I guess I had 6 hours total work in it, from on and off three times and painting things and modifying as I go. This is my third Warn and I thought it should be somewhat quieter so I called Warn customer service and the rep. Name was Myron said that they run some louder than some older models, he said it has a lifetime warranty and not to worry about the noise.
    Used the wiring that Honda already had run, with no issues and installed my switch right beside my light switch. I put the remote plug under driver side fender. Only got 4 metal shavings in my fingers well three if you don't count the one I pulled from one finger and as it came out it sunk in finger on other hand. Only drank total 7 beers, I'm putting a pic of the tools that I used to do this job, minus the grinder and vice.....I know I know some of you guys could have done it with a toothpick and a stick of gum, but not me.
    If anyone needs anything from Honda winch install kit minus the plate let me know because I have every bit of it. And one picture of the supervisor..

11. wrighteous

wrighteous Active Member

my mount comes in sometime this week
    I'll be doing this exact install.

VaHillbilly likes this.
  12. Jamie-in-WV

Jamie-in-WV Member
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    It sucks that the winch is upside down, I would guess when Warn gets there into the market it will be cleaner and the fit should be spot on, where as I modified a bunch of these install, I would cut, brill and put it back on and see how the look and function was and the remove and paint where the cuts where.
    Good luck on the install.

VaHillbilly likes this.
  13. wrighteous

wrighteous Active Member

Is it freespool switch on the passenger side?

VaHillbilly likes this.
  14. wrighteous

wrighteous Active Member

That's the only way I can get mine to stay on the fair lead side

VaHillbilly likes this.
  15. Jamie-in-WV

Jamie-in-WV Member
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    Yes that's the way it works out. I could have put it on drivers side but that put the lead wires aiming down, and I didn't like that situation.

VaHillbilly likes this.
  16. all4sho

all4sho New Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    quick question: was the factory red/black wire that is tied up under the dash long enough to go all the way to the axon winch since the axon does not have the external relay? also did the axon come with the dash switch or did you buy is separately?

VaHillbilly likes this.
  17. Jamie-in-WV

Jamie-in-WV Member
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    Yes wire is plenty long enough, and yes the dash switch came with it, and I mounted the toggle switch to the left of the steering wheel. I installed the plug that allows for exterior or remote hand control under front driver side fender.

VaHillbilly likes this.
  18. NemoDeven

NemoDeven New Member

Ownership:
    1000-5
    The HMF Defender front bumper worked well with the Axiom with no modifications to mount but still upside down.

12747.jpeg

VaHillbilly likes this.
  19. all4sho

all4sho New Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    i see you ran the wires that came with the winch up, i know the factory winch wires do not even get close to reaching all the way down to the bottom, so did you connect the warn cables to the honda cables (solder wire, butt splice) or did you run the cables all the way to the battery?

#19 all4sho, Sep 9, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    VaHillbilly likes this.
  20. thirdparty

thirdparty New Member

Ownership:
    Do not currently own

I'd like to know this as well if OP comes back and updates this thread.