Jamie-in-WV

Jamie-in-WV

Lifetime Member
Mar 23, 2019
West Virginia
Ownership

1. Talon R
IMG 0139
Just arrived by my postman.......he was none to happy getting this out of his mail truck and he also had a 1000 rounds of 9mm ammo at 40 lbs. he is glad I no longer sell lead for bullet casting. When UPSP use to sell flat shipping charge and advertised if it fits we will ship it for $9.99 after about 10 boxes of that with lead in it I was his least favorite customer.
But anyway I got this Warn Axon 5500S winch from Amazon Warehouse deal for $487.00 shipped free, because the cardboard box was tore, they sell them for $637 regular so I took a chance, I've had good luck with their warehouse deals on tools also.
It of course is going on the Talon R

Jamie-in-WV

Jamie-in-WV

Lifetime Member
Mar 23, 2019
West Virginia
Ownership

1. Talon R
I don't think it weighs over 30-35 lbs, my local dealer has the mount for it, I'm going to go and look at it and compare it to fabbing one up. I get a discount on parts but $200 is still a lot of money for just a 1/4" mounting plate.

Reactions: VaHillbilly
H

HondaTech

We mounted 1 of these with the Honda mount. Took some cutting/drilling on the mount, but it fit.

wrighteous

wrighteous

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2014
Any updates on this install I just ordered one

Jamie-in-WV

Jamie-in-WV

Lifetime Member
Mar 23, 2019
West Virginia
Ownership

1. Talon R
It being Easter and my daughter and son in law and granddaughter (age 2) are here so I put up a swing set with large slide and castle for the granddaughter and took a day and a half away from my install. (10 million pieces) But I hope this evening to get it mounted.
And on the ammo subject I have 6 or so 9mm pistols but I bought a db9 9mm ar carbine and by far as much fun you can have shooting a 9mm, but 33 round magazine you can eat up a bunch of ammo quick.

Jamie-in-WV

Jamie-in-WV

Lifetime Member
Mar 23, 2019
West Virginia
Ownership

1. Talon R
IMG 0229
Why would any mounting plate not have all bolt patterns for every winch configurations,after removing bull bumper from front, and after figuring where the mounting holes are for the axon winch I drilled out the Honda mounting plate (all four holes) 3/8" drill bit. The mount that comes from Honda feels cumbersome at first but after a few four letter words and bolting it together and test fit it it works with everything lining up ok.
IMG 0142
IMG 0143
IMG 0144

After a couple adult refreshing suds, and looking at the bolts sent to bolt winch to plate I need to paint them black, they look galvanized in color, so after couple hours work this evening I'm done, will continue tomorrow will work on wiring then.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 123962 Just arrived by my postman.......he was none to happy getting this out of his mail truck and he also had a 1000 rounds of 9mm ammo at 40 lbs. he is glad I no longer sell lead for bullet casting. When UPSP use to sell flat shipping charge and advertised if it fits we will ship it for $9.99 after about 10 boxes of that with lead in it I was his least favorite customer.
But anyway I got this Warn Axon 5500S winch from Amazon Warehouse deal for $487.00 shipped free, because the cardboard box was tore, they sell them for $637 regular so I took a chance, I've had good luck with their warehouse deals on tools also.
It of course is going on the Talon R
Love my axiom. That's a great price!

Reactions: Mopower58
Jamie-in-WV

Jamie-in-WV

Lifetime Member
Mar 23, 2019
West Virginia
Ownership

1. Talon R
IMG 0238
IMG 0236
IMG 0235
Well finally finished the Axon 5500S winch install, I guess I had 6 hours total work in it, from on and off three times and painting things and modifying as I go. This is my third Warn and I thought it should be somewhat quieter so I called Warn customer service and the rep. Name was Myron said that they run some louder than some older models, he said it has a lifetime warranty and not to worry about the noise.
Used the wiring that Honda already had run, with no issues and installed my switch right beside my light switch. I put the remote plug under driver side fender. Only got 4 metal shavings in my fingers well three if you don't count the one I pulled from one finger and as it came out it sunk in finger on other hand. Only drank total 7 beers, I'm putting a pic of the tools that I used to do this job, minus the grinder and vice.....I know I know some of you guys could have done it with a toothpick and a stick of gum, but not me.
If anyone needs anything from Honda winch install kit minus the plate let me know because I have every bit of it. And one picture of the supervisor..

advertisement
wrighteous

wrighteous

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2014
my mount comes in sometime this week
I'll be doing this exact install.

Jamie-in-WV

Jamie-in-WV

Lifetime Member
Mar 23, 2019
West Virginia
Ownership

1. Talon R
It sucks that the winch is upside down, I would guess when Warn gets there into the market it will be cleaner and the fit should be spot on, where as I modified a bunch of these install, I would cut, brill and put it back on and see how the look and function was and the remove and paint where the cuts where.
Good luck on the install.

wrighteous

wrighteous

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2014
Is it freespool switch on the passenger side?

wrighteous

wrighteous

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2014
That's the only way I can get mine to stay on the fair lead side

Jamie-in-WV

Jamie-in-WV

Lifetime Member
Mar 23, 2019
West Virginia
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yes that's the way it works out. I could have put it on drivers side but that put the lead wires aiming down, and I didn't like that situation.

all4sho

all4sho

Apr 11, 2019
Byron, Ga
Ownership

1. Talon R
quick question: was the factory red/black wire that is tied up under the dash long enough to go all the way to the axon winch since the axon does not have the external relay? also did the axon come with the dash switch or did you buy is separately?

Jamie-in-WV

Jamie-in-WV

Lifetime Member
Mar 23, 2019
West Virginia
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yes wire is plenty long enough, and yes the dash switch came with it, and I mounted the toggle switch to the left of the steering wheel. I installed the plug that allows for exterior or remote hand control under front driver side fender.

NemoDeven

NemoDeven

Jul 24, 2018
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
The HMF Defender front bumper worked well with the Axiom with no modifications to mount but still upside down.

all4sho

all4sho

Apr 11, 2019
Byron, Ga
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yes wire is plenty long enough, and yes the dash switch came with it, and I mounted the toggle switch to the left of the steering wheel. I installed the plug that allows for exterior or remote hand control under front driver side fender.
i see you ran the wires that came with the winch up, i know the factory winch wires do not even get close to reaching all the way down to the bottom, so did you connect the warn cables to the honda cables (solder wire, butt splice) or did you run the cables all the way to the battery?

Last edited:
T

thirdparty

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2018
USA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
i see you ran the wires that came with the winch up, i know the factory winch wires do not even get close to reaching all the way down to the bottom, so did you connect the warn cables to the honda cables (solder wire, butt splice) or did you run the cables all the way to the battery?

I'd like to know this as well if OP comes back and updates this thread.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!